The Name Of The Wind

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Stevenjones, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Stevenjones

Stevenjones Members

Has anyone read this book? I just finished it the other day and would love to talk about it with someone!

1 person likes this.
  2. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I have read it!

It's pretty good, I'm going to have some difficulty discussing it in-depth because:

1) I read it ages ago.
    2) I have trouble differentiating between the first and second books, and I don't want to spoil the sequel for you if you haven't read it.

Here are my thoughts though,

I felt like it was an expertly crafted mishmash of different fantasy tropes, some of which are pretty cliched, but it feels like something interesting is brewing with the implication that Kvothe could be an unreliable narrator, I really hope that the narrative gets more and more subjective as the series goes on and Rothfuss really develops this.

There was some really great world-building and THERE'S A REALLY GOOD BIT OF CULTURAL INTERACTION but I think it's in book two so I can't bring it up but gah, it's really good.

At first I was really not into the magic system when it's just "knowing the name of things", as in Earthsea, but as it gets to the college and there's actually a hard magic system in place I was much more interested. In some ways this feels a bit like having your cake and eating it too, but it works.

The Dragon felt really tacked on to the ending.

Anyway, those things aside it was probably the best high fantasy book I've read in a good long while, what did you make of it?

3. Stevenjones

Stevenjones Members

I just finished it about a month ago, could not put the freaking book down. The story of Kvothe being homeless and slowly creating a life was told extremely well. I could see the city he was in, feel the cobblestones under my own feet. As it stands now I have not read the second book yet. I just haven't been able to buy it for some reason. I cannot wait to figure out what makes the university decide to move on from Kvothe. I have so many questions that need to be answered.

Also, I personally do not enjoy the relationship Kvothe has created with Denna. Is she a prostitute? Is she using Kvothe to get something for herself? Will she be his ultimate downfall? I cannot help but feel that she is not in this for the right reasons.

The Draccus was interesting. How could a creature that big and destructive go undetected by people?

I am glad to hear the second book is worth reading. I read some reviews online that weren't kind.