The 'munchies' trap and the pot paradox

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by moonlightdelerium, Jun 22, 2006.

1. moonlightdelerium

moonlightdelerium Senior Member

Okay, I love to dance and, like many people, dance better (freakier?) when stoned. The thing is is that I made a committment not to eat after 6:00 but last night my mom went grocery shopping and we had all new yummy food in the house and I broke down and ate a reasonably healthy snack at a totally unreasonable time. So where dancing is both fun and great excercise the munchies can be a killer of one's buzz AND a killer of one's progress. Any advice (besides the obvious stop smoking pot because thats just not going to happen.

2. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

There is no "right time" to eat, if you are eating healthy. Why is eating a "buzz kill?" I guess I don't understand the questions...

3. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

Why in the world would you make a pact not to eat after 6pm??? What, do you eat breakfast at like 4am or something? You shouldn't go that long without food, it's not healthy, and it's not good for your digestive system for your stomach to get so completely empty. I'd bet it causes you major gas, doesn't it? Just eat. Eat when you feel hungry, but don't snack on processed junk. Have an apple or something healthy. If you crave carbs, increase your protein intake. Snack on a piece of chicken or fish or peanut butter. But don't go fasting for 12+ hours every night. That's just plain bad for you. Like Maggie, I don't understand what you are asking.

4. moonlightdelerium

I was told by a professional that your body is meant to fast twelve hours every night, I must be getting faulty information. My question is how can I curb my munchies?

5. kayte

kayte Member

drink water. or water with lemon, for a snack, or squeeze some orange into it. or eat a simple fruit. i'd imagine the buzz kill would be from the food making you less stoned. so just eat less food, then it won't kill ya buzz so much.

also - tea! you can get all kinds of tasty teas - two favorite dessert teas, in my opinion, are yogi tea cocoa (almost like chocolate), and yogi tea thai (blue box). both taste good with (soya) milk. tea is a great way to combat the munchies!

6. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

You said stopping the smoking isn't an option, but maybe you should consider cutting back at least a little. Also..

Smoke earlier in the day and have healthy food prepared before hand. Munch on yummy fruit like blueberries, or crunchy pickles. And drink lots of water before and after smoking--this is especially good for preventing the soda cravings that often come with cotton-mouth.

7. moonlightdelerium

Yeah but I smoke bed just before bed because I then sleep like a baby. Its part of my good-sleep method :) But thanks for the tea suggestion, thats what I'll do.

8. ayahuasca

ayahuasca Member

yeah, i'd just say eat healthy, no matter what time it is. you can't go wrong with that. ;)

9. moonlightdelerium

Amen to that!

10. AfricaUnite

AfricaUnite Member

Yeah ive read green tea is an appitite suppressant. I bought a fancy masticating juicer, I try not to eat after 10pm (i go to bed pretty late) but I dont mind juicing a few carrots and an apple and some parsley and ginger, I dont feel too bad about it because its liquid im consuming and its completly healthy and filling!

11. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

If you like to smoke just before bed, so you can sleep, then all you have to do is smoke, and go to sleep. You can't eat while you are sleeping (unless you have a disorder in which case I think you should see a doc or something). But if you are asking how do you curb the munchies when you are smoking up, then my adivice is to make sure there is no food around and you can't get to any. LOL I'm not kidding that is what I do. If that is not an option, as it appears you still live at home, then I would just prepare healthy snacks to have. I do that too. And be careful what you watch on tv because as soon as a fast food commercial comes on, you want to eat junk. ;)

As far as when to stop eating at night. You should probably stop about 2 or 3 hours before you plan to go to sleep. Just to give yourself enough time to digest.

The reason some overweight people stop eating after a certain time (usually after dinner is over) is because they have a problem where they eat strictly out of habit while watching television and it is almost always junk food, and most certainly not because they are hungry. Also, because you are burning less calories at night while you are relaxing (again if your schedule is opposite like my boyfriend's is then this doesn't apply to you, so you will have to figure out when night is for you), you really don't need to be eating. The fasting arguement, in my opinion, makes more sense when trying to convince people to eat breakfast. Because that is when you need more energy. You don't need extra energy to sleep. So, of course if you are hungry you should eat, but more than likely if you are stoned and it is 11pm and you want a burger and fries, it isn't because you are actually hungry.

Take care.