The movie 300 is confusing my friends sexually:

Discussion in 'Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans, etc.' started by SelfControl, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

maybe I'm a fool then, cause i didn't know the second line, but from what you've said on this thread, my comments are very similar, would you not agree?
    S

2. Allonym

Allonym cheesecake slut

dude it was just a joke, chill, it was a funny little comment is all. if i disagreed with you id have said it. just... just leave jokes be, no need to dissect or do serious comments,really

3. Samhain

I was simply continuing the joke, if you had offended me I would have let you know
    S

4. SlickyPants

SlickyPants Member

I think it could turn a guy who was unsure... But which way? He may find those guys smokin' hot... On the other hand, he may leave the theatre with no such feelings and realize that he is probably straight after all.

5. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

There's plenty in Baywatch for the gay dudes, though. I dunno, I'm not bothered about turning them for any length of time, just long enough, you know ;)

6. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

Sexuality didn't even come into the picture for me. I was more upset about how the movie portrayed eastern cultures and even just femininity as a concept.

7. LJDV

LJDV Member

I agree. I'm not sure that I was completely comfortable with the way in which the movie characterized femininity.

But hot guys in skimpy clothes=yum =P

8. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

umm... it's a comic book movie
    chill out

and the queen was a strong female role model

and sparta was very very male-oriented, that part is 100% true

9. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

I'm thinking more of Xerxes being cast as an effeminate character and the film equating femininity to deception and evil.

And the queen was a pretty strong and moral character but they made her noble act enduring sex with a man she didn't love? I mean why did it have to be a sexual act? There is more to female existence than sexuality.

It's true that sparta was a male dominated (though females had more rights there than in other Greek city states) society, but we're talking about the film and the filmmakers decisions in portraying the Spartan characters in the film, not sparta itself.

I mean, by having the outcast Ephialtes become a weak character who caves to Xerxes' promises, the film essentially says "the spartans were right, the disfigured and weak (or anyone of lower status) are inherently jealous and cannot be trusted". The film could have made Ephialtes a strong character with principals but they chose to portray him as a weak villain who seeked acceptance and nothing else, and had no real loyalties.

And you're right, it is just a film. And this is just my opinion at the time. You do not need to agree with it, or even read it, but you can be sure I'll always give it.

10. Duck

in spartan society there wasn't much other tahn that abotu women
    and um.. it was not her choice to do a sexual act, she was raped, hello!

you can say any movie displays feminimity badly if you really look for reasons, and that's all you are doing.

they had him seeking acceptance because it was somethign that he never had, it made sense for the character.
    and he did not fit in with the Spartans battle plans, but he offerred him acceptance in another way (i.e. they were right =P), his greedy ass did not feel it was adequate

and a loaded opinion isn't a very useful one ;)

11. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Dude, if it were historically inaccurate, you'd be complaining about that. I don't think any filmmaker really has a duty to reflect idealised versions of society. I mean, we're a comparatively equal society now, but that doesn't mean we don't depict any inequality in film, regardless of whether it's prevalent or not. I hate to say it, but a story's just a bunch of stuff happening. It's up to the viewer if they read it as representing a set of values or society as a whole.

12. Biggen

Biggen Banned

You've got to be kidding me, right? This is a movie that's based on a comic book which was VERY loosely based on the Battle of Thermopylae. It wasn't a fucking documentary.

I'm also not sure how this movie (or any) could make a person, male or female, question their sexuality. Maybe someone who's never been outside in their whole life? Has that person never socialized with the same sex? It's sort of like someone showering at the gym for the first time suddenly deciding that they're now homosexual.

I'm not a gay man but, I do know a handsome fellow when I see one. Seeing a bunch of them in a movie didn't make me question ANYTHING, least of all my sexuality.

13. Duck

I know, right?
    kids these days *shakes head in disapproval*

14. MatthewShane

MatthewShane Banned

I could def see that! It is very homo erotic ..yet macho and masculine. Many I know as well have said such things

15. MatthewShane

MatthewShane Banned

bisexual?!

16. Samhain

what is it about that word that your questioning?
    S

17. MatthewShane

MatthewShane Banned

I jus see what he is saying..as being grounds for a guy being "bisexual" if he can appreciate such things in a guy.

18. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Why do we want sexuality to be this rigid? It's almost like we don't want something like a movie to have any influence over sexuality. Most of us had some kind of "awakening" at some point, when we realised we were gay, and I doubt that happened without some kind of external stimulus. Are we threatened by the possibility that someone could be turned so easily because we worry we might be turned back?

19. IM-A-QUEER

IM-A-QUEER Banned

20. IM-A-QUEER

IM-A-QUEER Banned