The most exciting event in the history of the world.

Discussion in 'History' started by Bilby, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Harpo

Harpo Member

ok then, in terms of the most people actually excited about an event as it happened, maybe something like the release of The Beatles' "Sgt Pepper" album. Or the destruction of the Berlin wall.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

you know, as far as the olympics in question in the OP, that probably wasn't even the most exciting olympics in the history of the world. The old school olympics featured chiseled, naked Greek men which probably beats the excitement of the modern olympics by a mile.

2 people like this.
  3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

In terms of pure unadulterated excitement, solar flares.

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

when the sun first started thermonuclear fusion .. let there be light! 4 billion years later, here we are.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm not entirely sure but if I recall right women weren't allowed to watch :p But peeking with the thrill of getting killed when you get caught watching only makes it more exciting :D

1 person likes this.
  6. Blackeyes28

Blackeyes28 Members

wow...you picked all interesting and exciting historical events...it is hard to choose among them.
    I'd choose:
    - the invention of print
    - discovery of America
    - the fall of the Berlin Wall

7. broony

broony Banned

the condom

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The invention of the condom is older than you might think. People were using dried pig intestines (the bladder for instance) as condoms before they had rubber or latex. Probably sounds more exciting than it is in reality (could be just a subjective issue of course) :p

I looked it up and apparently it was only forbidden for married women to attend the ancient olympic games. If you were a peachy virgin you most likely were welcome :D

Technically that's prehistory ;)

9. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I agree that was pretty exciting ;)

My Grandad said many years ago to my Mum "today, history is being made, gravity has been defied"

He was listening to the radio, which was broadcasting the beeping signals from Sputnik when it reached orbit around the Earth.

10. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Only married women were not allowed to watch under penalty of death. The single women could go shopping for penises on strong bodies.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I would have liked o have been there for the first cup of coffee ever made

The first time someone ground coffee beans, put them in hot water and drank it, OMFG Grog, dude you gotta taste this

4 people like this.
  12. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

When homosapiens evolved from our previous biological ancestor.

13. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

When Sinead O'connor shaved her head

14. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Chuck norris

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Chuck Norris fighting Bruce lee

16. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Been thinking about this ! the most exciting event in my world was when the Beatles brought out "magical mystery tour " and it was on the telly
    http://youtu.be/4Whc9VxdP2E

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i don't think excitement is all that big of a deal. for excitement i would have to say the rain hill trials on the stockton and darlington railway.

but as for the biggest most important events in human history, i would have to call the first, the invention of agriculture, and the second, the atomic bomb.

as for material "civilization", i would have to say the railroads created that, and the automobile, along with overpopulation, is destroying it, and is getting pretty close now, to completing the job.

if you take an honest look at how people live and act, nothing in any religious belief even comes close to the effect of any of those things.

i'm not saying there's noting important or interesting in anything else, only that those mentioned are really the big ones.

second string, a really close second, would be psychology and modern physics. newton, einstine, et al. decoding dna and its protien mechanism is potentially another big one, but its big aplications a still a ways off.

micro engineering is another one i have to thank for many of the things i love, and real understanding of environmental science, beginning with darwin, who nearly everyone misinterprets in some mannor or degree.

religious things are bigger then individual wars and nations, but really, agriculture and the bomb, are so much bigger then anything else. the wheel, became much more significant, then ever it was by itself, when accompanies by steam and later electricity.

18. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

1. When gladiators had to fight for the lives in the Roman coliseum?
    This is one arena, in one town, compared to a world event.
    2. When Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon in 1969?
    "the most exciting event in the history of the world!” can't happen on the moon ;)
    3. When the astronauts from Apollo 13 arrived safely back on Earth?
    4. The end of WW2 or any war for that matter?
    [​IMG]
    'Well shit.. that doesn't look too good tom'
    5. Even if your interests sere entirely confined to sport and athletics, what about when Roger Banister broke the four minute mile?
    What about him?
    6. Colour TV?
    Internet

Ok. all that is left is the Olympics vs Return flight from Apollo 13. Let's vote people

1 person likes this.
  19. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Members

I was there for the fall of the wall, and spent the previous two years patrolling the E. German border.

It was the world's largest prison, and the penalty for trying to leave that communist utopia could range from getting blown up by anti-personnel mines, to getting gunned down by border guards, to getting mauled by the German shepherds they hid in nearby border towns to trick defectors, but the real lucky ones that got caught spent four years in prison.

Seeing it all come crashing down, figuratively and literally, was an epic experience,

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The day I met my girlfriend was pretty groundbreaking tbh. I remember it well. I was in role call for high school, first day of school in the new world to me. She asked about a pendant I was wearing... From then on it was like Kirk and Spock.

1 person likes this.