the Meta define what hippie/hippy means to you/ labels thread

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by lilyflowerr, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Vana

Vana Member

hippy = beautiful choice. So choose. Do you want to play their game or make your own? DOn't let them label you. But don't label them, either. People just do their thing.

2. bongwater89

bongwater89 Member

well i didnt read all of the threads or w/e it is called in this topic but in ways im a hippie.. i guess. lol i dont really like to label myself, stereotypes in my opinion are the generic way for people ignorant (of certain stereotypes) to define that stereotype and see it through frosted glass-that is, glass you can not see through like a regular window, its obscure and you dont get the real details you just get the general idea which may or may not be shed in a good light depending on the person perceiving it...
    yeah anyway, aside from that. i guess heres what makes me a hippie... im a depp thinker. i have been my whole life... i started writing when i was 5 and still do, i like to smoke and then meditate, i write poems/prose/entries on my blog on myspace that promote positive thinking and ideas you can gain from. i dream of peace.. also try to spread peace ideas, constrantly doing research to try to figure out this gov't so i can get an opinion of my own whether its truly corrupt or if its just too much wishful thinking... etcetera. i try to see the beauty in everyone and everything, i try being friends with everyone who gives me a chance.. i understand how nature and people can connect.. flowing energies in the atmosphere.. i have some rather nonmainstream ideas/beliefs, for example i strongly believe in karma.. imo its a law of life. i dont like most things correlated with the media, television or mainstream ideas.. every day seems like a revelation in itself because i meditate so much... but thats just me. those are things that i think qualify me as a hippie, but i wouldnt put a label on it. u are what u are, its just a label for someone's general lifestyle, it'll never be cookie cutter perfect.. and if u try to make it that way, it wont be natural, making it man-produced, you could say. artificial.

3. bongwater89

bongwater89 Member

that posted at 420am... go figure

4. bandbeyondescription

bandbeyondescription Nothertimesforgottenspace

hey it doesnt matter what everyone eles thinks :) dont worry about them :)
    just smile and be yourself:)

5. thinkfloyd07

thinkfloyd07 Senior Member

a hippie/hippy is a social class people use to define a fre living person whp os completly themselfs (well thats what i think anyway)

6. homeiswheretheloveis

homeiswheretheloveis Member

i have a question, i don't do drugs, and i haven't protests to stop the wars, and i haven't helped the hungry, but i would like to do all of that except the drugs, does that mean i'm a fake hippie ?

7. thinkfloyd07

thinkfloyd07 Senior Member

no it doesnt it just means you havent had the chance or just couldnt for some reasons but if you have the heart then who is someone to that is fake?

8. lalesperance

lalesperance Member

I have not read the whole post on this subject. But everyones opinion counts and matters because everyones opinion has an effect. Yes sure I can ignore people that are just haters. But there hate feeds my fire. The fire inside of me that i contain and control not letting it burn anyone else.... If you want to title yourself expect others to hate. Because if you look throughout all history, when we make differences, we make oportunities for war.. for hate. for no it cant be that way, it has to be my way. When we can actually understand that we must not classify, and we should only have the same thing in mind. I run with all the crowds. Some may call me a "punk" or a "hippie" or a "gangster" or whatever it may be because I have become who I am through just being me and wearing what I wish not all in the same style of fashion. I love all and I can forgive all. And if you create the opportunity for a person to attack your integrity, then you are creating the reason that you yourself wants to change. Look deeper than the mirror. Hear more than just the words...

One Love

9. existing

existing Member

Hippy= the sound of freedom, peace, self actualization, and mmuuussiicccc :)

10. libertarian Joseph

libertarian Joseph Member

Hippies are ok by me, as long as they're not commies ;) j/k. Are all hippies liberals?

11. avgreg

avgreg Member

I have always tried to write down what we hippies really wanted and my thoughts translated to pages and pages. I always tried to condense it more but fail but I just found some one who expressed much better that I ever could and she hits every point. Her name is Alicia Bay Laurel. He is how she put it. It might seem long to some but worth reading every minute.

We wanted intimacy--not a neighborhood where you didn't know anyone on the block, or you competed, kept up with the Joneses.
    A hunter-gatherer or early agricultural community meant that people lived, worked and sought deeper contact with the holy spirit as a group, and they all knew one another, from cradle to grave. I used to call my hippie friendships "a horizontal extended family," as opposed to the ancient tribal extended family, which was multi-generational, and therefore, vertical.

We wanted a culture which acknowledged the human body, not just for sex, but to hug each other, to be naked without shame, to revere the body with natural foods, beneficial exercise, herbs, baths, massage, deep understanding. This was not part of the culture from which we came.

We wanted a culture that thrived on gift-giving. We hitchhiked, shared our food and drugs, gave away our possessions. People who could afford to buy land invited others who could not to live there.

We opened free stores, free clinics, free kitchens, not just in the Haight, but everywhere we went. We wanted be living proof that God was taking care of us and therefore there was no need to hoard.

We wanted to live without the constraints of time. We wanted to wake up each day and decide what would be the most fun to do that day--or just find out as it went along. We wanted to go with the flow, follow our bliss, be here now. This was in complete opposition to the culture from which we came.

We wanted new ways to value one another, rather than by wealth, status, looks, achievements, machismo, as our culture of origin had taught us, and continues to teach us through the media. We wanted to value one another for being lovable and real.

We valued spiritual depth, which we referred to as "heavy." We admired one another for being happy. We admired those who offered selfless service or peaceful resolution of conflict.We wanted a spirituality that actually caused you to grow as a person, not one in which people attended religious gatherings for social status. We wanted to be guided by our own Inner Spirits, rather than by priests.

We thirsted for the spiritual awareness and grace we experienced on psychedelics, without psychedelics, or in addition to them. Many hippies would spent their last cent on a weekend workshop that promised to "change your life forever." That was how so many gurus found followers in those days.

We wanted to live in harmony with the earth, the plants and animals, the indigenous peoples of the earth, with each other, with ourselves. We were the fuel behind the rapid expansion of the environmental movement. We experimented with living arrangements that we thought would harmonize with nature. We sought out indigenous tribal elders as our teachers.

We wanted to make the things we wore and used with our hands, grow our food and medicine, feel all kinds of weather--all the experiences our modern urban lives had excluded in the name of convenience and comfort. We wanted to live on the road, have adventures, build things that hadn't been built before, and live in them.

We wanted to live our mythic selves, give ourselves names that resonated with our souls, dress in costumes that expressed our dreams, do daring deeds, dance as if no one was looking, decorate our homes with magical things, listen to music that took us out of ordinary reality into altered states of awareness.

We wanted to see life without violence. We wanted media that contained truth. Some of us risked our lives to find out what the government was doing and let the underground press know. We wanted to talk about things in print that we were not allowed to discuss in our culture of origin.

We wanted to live without stupid, arbitrary rules, either for ourselves or for our children. Some of our children, as adults today, say they wish we had been more protective of them, or offered more structure. We only knew what we endured, being as culturally different from our culture of origin as Chinese are from Italians, and punished for it, and wished to spare our children these experiences. However, some portion of kids raised by hippie parents grew up to be hippies themselves. At that point, one can say, a new culture was born and continues.

12. infinitivaldreams

infinitivaldreams Member

Real and fake are illusions. Everyone tries to be or fit into something. You can't fit someone into the general description of "fake" or "real", because there are more dimensions to humans than that. If they want to think you are a 'fake hippie', know that they can believe that all they want. Know for yourself that you are a person who tries hard to live up to her full potential, unlike those who insult you. Know that you can believe or claim yourself to be whatever. They will eventually stop and realize you are what you are.

13. Shatarag

Shatarag Member

My definition of a true hyppie.
    Someone who has had true expriences in life.
    That giudes them to an understaning of life.
    An exceptance for what is, what isnt, and is still eager to see what will come to be..As a hyppie Im not as worried about what I am or who I am.
    But what is the reasoning for me being who Iam, what Iam, and how is it going to pave the way for the future of my children.

14. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

avgreg, man, that post is awesome!

15. BULL

BULL Member

Us hippie's dont ask if we are? we just know it.
    Its a way of life,a way of living.
    Many questions,with many answers leading to more questions.
    All with love and exceptance.
    Its a righteous journey,enjoying the trip.
    Live it today,like they're gonna steal it tomorrow.
    Be you and thats all you need to be.
    To hate is a waste of love,and violence is a waste of comfort,
    War is a waste of everything.

16. Shatarag

Shatarag Member

Right on!

17. ALeathalDose

ALeathalDose Member

avgreg that is one of the "heavyiest" things I have ever heard... Woah... awestruck

18. antialiased

antialiased Member

Nope. (I assume you mean liberal in the more modern sense) Matter o' fact, all the ones I know are more on the libertarian end of the spectrum - eg: hell's angels, people living way out in the woods without elec. or running water, people living in communes, or just people who think everybody should be free to do what they want.
    . . .
    As for the main thread topic, I personally think that there was a big split between the people out on the street (the sort of hippies I've come to know and love) and the ones whose rich mommies and daddies sent them off to college so they could be safe from the draft (the bill and hillary sort of hippies). I identify more with the former, but that's just me.

19. Tok_UR

Tok_UR Member

i like the ladder, i mean, street kids kinda lost all ideals, very jaded people, 2 me at least. just the way it seems to me, maybe my concepts of hippys from the streets is just diluded by street kids i know. at least college know-it-all hippys pretend to be trying to do something...the more i think of it the more this posts is wrong

20. SpaceChive

SpaceChive Member

college-know-it-all hippys :p dude youve been watching south park :p But anyhow people shouldn't really be labelling others. Maybe you can call a certain style in clothes or look on life 'hippie', but for most people labelling also includes having prejudism, like all 'hippie' people doing acid and stuff, or all of em living out on the streets. I think that people who call others fake are also afraid to be themselves anyway.so whatever yeah that