the Meta define what hippie/hippy means to you/ labels thread

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by lilyflowerr, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

And some of us just can't remember which and never really got it in the first place.

:rolleyes:

2. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

Fake hippies were the starters of the whole disco scene...really. It began with fancy clothes resembling something hip, but it ruined the 60's slowly. They were trying to incorporate their plastic lifestyle into the casual natural way of the real hippie. This made it ambiguous to everyone since "hippie" meant in some way experimenting.

3. superstephylee

superstephylee Member

life is not a label, you are yourself, being a hippy isnt how you dress, its how you think, believe, love, react. tell your so called friends to lick your balls cuz they are dumb if the are basing thier opinions of you on how you dress. and bless your soul because you need new friends if they dont know you for you..... by the way hippies arent unintelligent,lazzy, leaches. we may be idealist but at least we can say that all of the evil in the world has made us so miserable that we have given up our imagination, hopes and dreams. and we may be dirty but at;east we know how to love, live, and respect each other...... and i know how to spell druggy...... look whos unintelligent now...

4. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

What is a Hippie? I know one when I see one! But using words to define what a hippie is confines a free flowing spirit to the words used to describe it. It’s a little like defining clouds as water vapor, which may be accurate but some how robs them of their beauty and their ability to become cats and dogs and horses and ships and ice cream castles.

5. Kevinlovesmary

Kevinlovesmary Member

never try to be something your not. always be yourself , even when the people around you change or dont change, just be yourself! Every human being is unique.

6. haylz88

haylz88 Member

Just wondering what makes each of you a hippy? For example, what elements in your lifestyle make u what many would call a hippy?

I'll start...
    I'm obssessed with 60s music, hence the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones etc.
    I'm into loving everything and everybody..
    I do yoga and meditate daily and walk in nature
    I only eat natural foods/organic that God has given us (fruit, rice, etc - nothing genetically modified)
    I burn insence and candles
    I only use organic, natural products
    I read spirituality books and carry them around with me for inspiration
    My hair is very long...
    I love my hippy sandles, skirts and kaftans!!
    I listen to relaxation music
    My parents are baby boomer hippys...
    I am a peaceful being!!! Or at least i think i am LOL

7. lunarflowermaiden

lunarflowermaiden Senior Member

I have respect for myself, nature and all creatures, and the earth. Isn't that all there really is to it [​IMG]? I have always coined the term with this, but others see it as more of a trend type of thing (specific clothing, specific hair style, ect.). To each their own! Have a lovely day :).

8. groovecookie

groovecookie Member

It's my firm belief that the only criteria one needs to meet to call one's self a hippie is the desire to call one's self that, and the courage to be different.

Of course I have a list of things about myself that make me fit the image, but I tend to think it isn't so much the hippie clothes, for instance, that I often wear, but the courage to wear them.

People look at me like I'm anything from a retard to a creature from another planet....some people laugh at me, some people make insulting comments, but whatever they say or however they look at me, I'm proud of the fact that I am visibly showing my support for peace, love, freedom, and many other things, and that I'm not enslaved by fear of being different.

Of course a lot of the time it brings smiles to people's faces, and I'm not talking about the "God, what a weirdo!" smile,....more the "Yes! There is still hope" smile. Those smiles makes it all worth it.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why others call me hippie? In my lifestyle: I'm a regular potsmoker. I'd rather see them call me hippie for me trying to live environmental-friendly though, IF I would like to be called hippie. I'm also just fascinated with psychedelic stuff, I can't help it, I love a lot of psychedelic music, drugs and so on. People call me hippie for that as well. I guess I could add that I love nature, but I see that actually as a stupid reason since the majority of the people loves nature. 'Hippies' just seem to like to talk about it more.

10. Tamerlane

Tamerlane Member

My shaved head and army boots. =P

Just joking. My mindset, I suppose.

11. ChildoftheRisingSun

ChildoftheRisingSun Member

I go my way and live harmony with the universe, and i have hippy clothes and i make protest songs i also like all music that was made in the 60's.

12. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven RaveIan

My collection of expensive tie-dye Tshirts and my huge peace symbol necklace, duh :rolleyes:

13. buttercup619

buttercup619 Member

I have a question, well at my school there is new "fad" of people dressing like hippies, but they arent. They are violent rebbelions. It confuses me on what a REAL hippie is. And I have been wondering if I was considered one, Im sorta confused if Iam. Help?
    ~I dont believen doing weed or drugs
    ~Im not a huge fan of the old rock things like rolling stones and jimmy ect but I do like old music
    ~I dont dress rainbows and hearts
    ~I do believe that love is the answer, and violence is not needed
    ~I love nature and the earth
    ~I try to save earth and save our materials and stop pollution on my part as much as possible
    ~Im a very calm peaceful laid back person
    ~I dont harm others.
    Im just not sure if Iam considered one, or half, or none.
    I dont want to be like the kids at my school who say they are.
    Thanks for your help! :)

14. tuesdaystar

tuesdaystar Interneter

Do you really want to qualify labeling yourself?

What answer do you want to hear?

What I think of as the ultimate hippie are these people that travel the world using little to no money farming and/or dumpster diving for food living on ics or wooffing vegan types. If you couldn't see yourself ever living like this you wouldn't qualify as 100% hippie and your parents and future children might thank you for not being my version of hippie. Whatever you are generalization wise is irrelevant if you feel good about your hippie qualities embrace them what reason have you to be offended for being called a hippie for caring about the envirionment if you are proud of that caring. if you dont want to be called a hippie for wearing tiedye and not showering then dont do that.

15. SunDweller1989

SunDweller1989 Member

Those are great reasons. People call me hippie because I live the lifestyle and dress like a hippie. I believe in peace and I respect myself, the environment and all living entities in the environment. I eat mostly organic foods and drink mostly water. I love the music and I hang out with people like me (not saying that's a requirement). I am philosophical and spiritual. I hope that answered your question. See ya.

16. Kevinlovesmary

Kevinlovesmary Member

to be a hippy you just got to be hip!

17. IlUvMuSIc

IlUvMuSIc Senior Member

Im not a hippy. But i do exhibit several hippy-like ermmm... Qualities.

18. IlUvMuSIc

IlUvMuSIc Senior Member

Yer we have that fad too.. Drives me mad cos these people couldnt care for anything but themselves.

19. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

My opinion: I don't know if someone can "become" a hippy, it's not what you wear or how you talk but who you are and what you believe! Sounds like you already are a "real hippy".. Why do they consider you fake? I think you're real! :) And if you do too, then don't worry about what they think.

20. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

"Of course a lot of the time it brings smiles to people's faces, and I'm not talking about the "God, what a weirdo!" smile,....more the "Yes! There is still hope" smile. Those smiles makes it all worth it."

I love those smiles!