the Meta define what hippie/hippy means to you/ labels thread

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by lilyflowerr, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Being a hippie in the 21st century isn't as easy as it once was. These days if you want to see where you fall in a continuum you just go online and find an app for it. There is an app for everything. Hippies are generally not into the competitive information of the superhighway in terms of finding out where their hippieness stands in relationship with the hippieness of the rank and file. I assume, of course, that there even IS a rank and file of persons who exude hippieness that is measureable.

I use the computer and I drive a car. I also live in a metropolis and sometimes get to ride in public transportation. I don't always feel so comfortable on public transportation because, well, I'm not all that crazy about breathing in other people's germs or touching poles and seats that may have residual gunk. Being hip doesn't mean that you embrace body odor or body fluids. At home I use white vinegar for most cleaning jobs. I also use ammonia. I use biodegradable cleaning agents for laundry and dishes and I recycle all gray water. I never do laundry on rainy days because I can't recycle on those days and I also can't get my clothes dry by hanging them outside. I grow some vegetables that are too highly priced on the outside. I recycle all my clothing and when I have abundance I find someone with whom I can give it.

I became the overseer of an estate of a woman who had no heirs. She had lots of fur coats. It seemed like a horrible thing to give them to someone who was into flaunting fur. So, instead, I took them to a coat tailor and asked that the fur be put on the inside of the coat and that cloth be used on the outside. They were beautiful, warm, and extremely well-received. Well, that's my 2-cents for hip planet hipness :)

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

^WOW! Shazam blue color avatar....hello....! :D

3. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

Hey... how do I hippy? ;)

4. Shaktimother108

Shaktimother108 Members

There's a difference between real and fake hippie. There's the 1960s version of a trippy, those fools on drugs and Lsd. Then there is a legit hippie, the vegetarian/vegan, the tree hugger, the gardener, grow your own food, world peace etc.

5. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I can understand why he does. It's really less of a hate thing and more of maybe a contempt for people? Reoccurring bouts of attempted understanding leading to no answers and dumbfucks... well, still just continuing to be dumbfucks. Now, not all "duggies" lol as he put it are lazy, arrogant moochers. There are a few out there that have a good head on their shoulders and still use it to the best of their ability for anything but hindering others. Some also just don't see that they do. But there are still a lot of people out there that use their (assumed) intelligence against people solely to get what they want out of life and what they want from you. Now that I think about it, keeping track of another thread that's pretty popular right now, I suppose you'd call these people sociopaths? Never realized that until just now. Sucks you have to be wary of fellow human beings. Even if you've grown up with them and known them your whole life. But, that's just the way it is.

As for the OP's original post... Let em talk. That's what people do. I wouldn't pay any mind to it, as long as you're happy and be who you want to be. I consider myself a sort of hippie I suppose, but I'm a leaf of all colors. Going out of country and helping others in need though, I gotta give you props for that. Sounds like a pretty cool, outgoing, selfless act. Which, in my eyes, is the basis of what being a hippie is all about. Being a free spirit and helping those in need wherever your feet may guide you.

6. dalewhite

dalewhite Members

Any one here

7. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I'm a scuzzball.

Nitocris likes this.
  8. slipperyhippy

slipperyhippy Guest

Hippies are the human incarnation of a dream we once had. The avatars of an age.

Hippies are extremely dangerous to any Corporate State. The machine cannot tolerate them and will do everything in its power to discredit and destroy them.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

my short answer: caring more about the kind of world everyone has to live in, then what anyone thinks of you as a person.

of course people can also claim that as an excuse for things that actually make it worse.
    (but if they do, are they really not caring what others think of them? or is that really all they are thinking about?)

the ones who sacrifice their own reputations, and accept even the loss of their own lives or freedom,
    to make things better, more peaceful, more loving, more of the freedom that matters,
    to create and explore, (and care about each other) those are the true hippy heroes.

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Not wanting to be labeled or put in a box is very hippie, so getting a definition from us will be an uphill battle. The boundaries are admittedly fuzzy, like how many hairs separate a hippie from a skinhead. But I think it's possible to make some useful generalizations. Hippies were a subculture or counter-culture that developed in reaction to the cultural norms of the fifties: conformity, materialism, and war. The counter-culture had many aspects. At the most superficial, conspicuous level, based on outward appearances, hippies were characterized by dress. hair length, and hygiene. As President Reagan colorfully put it :" A hippie is someone who looks like Tarzan, walks like Jane and smells like Cheeta." Hippies were also associated with "sex, drugs, and rockn'roll", first coined in a 1969 Life Magazine article describing these as the "sacraments" of the movement. At a deeper, more idealistic level, the counterculture was associated (in 1974) with "peace, love and understanding" (Nick Lowe/Curtis Stigers). And we'd have to throw in anti-war sentiment, environmental values, and anti-materialism. Without the deeper values, folks can talk the talk, but aren't walking the walk. I think the more surface aspects are expendable.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm kind of becoming a cyber-hippie

12. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

A hippy cares more about their earned reputation than about their crafted image.

13. Duncan

Just looking at my post #221 from 12/13/2014. Much of it is still going on some 3-1/2 years later. I live in a house that I share with two others. While I truly love my privacy (and prefer walking around in nothing more than a cotton robe), I also cherish the fact that I can share space with others who might not be able to afford living in a city for the affordable monthly rental rate.
    I raised backyard chickens before the drought hit Los Angeles and I enjoyed having my soil aerated and fertilized. I support credit unions over banks, I compost vegetable waste, I represent labor in conflict resolution against management, and I express my contempt for the current political behavior of the miscreants of the executive branch.
    I donate blood (mine, that is) and I save money for a select few charities. I worship weekly and I explore Wicca. I try to stay grounded whenever possible.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Peace, love and understanding!

15. Duncan

Are you any closer to finding any of your answers from 11+ years ago ?

16. Oh, man! it seems that I missed this thread

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well they were last on here 9 years ago, so i'm guessing they got over their hippie phase around that time and became a regular person.

18. swan616

swan616 Members

Down to earth

19. swan616

swan616 Members

Get down..to earth, don't be scared,embrace truth...get high

20. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

My brother and sisters where more real hippies then i am.........i still love the music.

This was more my "hippie" thing.......not really meta,lol

;)

Mzzls