the magnificent border wall

Discussion in 'Politics' started by egger, Jan 15, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

See the international definition of race discrimination...which I have posted ad nauseam.

[QUOTE]Racial discrimination as defined in international law is "any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life." 1 [/QUOTE]

2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Haven't been seen in a while? Not exactly George! The KKK endorsed Trump during the election. Since the election Trump hasn't stopped using the term, often in conjunction with his delusional immigration pitch. Charles Lindbergh? Well George, he was a proud NAZI; moreover, DG Stephenson and the Indiana Klansmen loved him. America First was their slogan!

3. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

If I haven't made it plain enough, I'm not "worried" about "The KKK" at all. The few you can find are too busy fighting among themselves about how white they are or they are protesting by the dozen for the news cameras. They don't actually DO anything and they have zero political clout. Any politician who REALLY "supports" them will watch their political career evaporate in minutes.

So if you're going to invoke the KKK, be ready to hear me chuckle. I don't and can't take that gaggle of losers seriously and it's hilarious how many people pretend to these days. The non-white gangs in the US outnumber them like 20 to 1, why no concern about them?

4. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Right, I see now, saying it over and over again makes it an unarguable truth. No debate necessary.

5. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

You think you get it, really?

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

[​IMG]

I think it sends a xenophobic message to people who have come from Mexico to live here. It's like, "we don't want you here". I find it very ethnocentric, and pitiful to only see very narrowly the "white" point of view. That they don't like Mexicans. What are all the stereotypes? Let's name a few of them so that everyone can see where it stands.

Instead, you have to employ cultural relativism when you address immigration policy in a nation with many immigrants, even from many different races. I think Susannah Crockford makes a relevant point. The vast majority of Americans don't want the wall. It's this white supremacist nationalist alt right Trump touting minority that wants to show this wall, like a badge of honor or something. It's despicable. People who want this should re-evaluate their priorities, and ask themselves "What is it about immigrants that bothers me?".

stormountainman likes this.
  7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

As a result of that budget deal last week to keep the government temporarily open, federal deficits are projected at over $1 trillion by 2019, a level not seen since the recession and its aftermath. Trump signed off on it, and there was no money for he wall. Trump wants to trade DACA for the wall. Where would the money come from? And is it worth it?

8. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Maybe the Klan would cough up some of it? Aren't they the exalted one who want a wall?

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I heard the Mexicans were going to pay for it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Am I incorrect?

11. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

Fortunately Mexico does not have a space program---otherwise we would really be screwed. SO all we have to do is build a wall that stretches from coast to coast and then one tall enough that airplanes cannot get over it. But not too tall---we need to give a few 100 feet of clearance for the lowest orbiting satellites. And then we will make Mexico pay for it. But wait, that is still not good enough----we better put a few hundred miles of it out to sea on each coast--from sea floor to outer space.

Of course that will probably stop commercial airflights from the US to Latin and South America---but hey---those are all Hispanic countries, so, you know...

Sound stupid and racist? No more stupid and racist than building a damn wall!

Here is a better idea----in the 60's and 70's there were numerous sitcoms were the kids or a couple or friends living in the same house got into an argument and painted a line down the center of it. One was supposed to stay on one side and the other on the other. Why don't we just paint a big yellow line all across the border. Of course, if we are so stupid that we are going to paint a line----or build a wall------maybe we should revisit those sitcoms for the idiots that don't understand why humans should not do such things!

12. soulcompromise

I remember those sit coms, but from the 80's. They used toilet paper. :)

13. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Ain't no money there either.

14. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

[/QUOTE]

Nationality is only a race if you believe in ethnostates.

15. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Race, itself, is a fuzzy concept. Is Native American a race? We have a general idea of what an American Indian looks like. We don't ordinarily think of somebody who looks like Elizabeth Warren, and I won't get into a debate about the legitimacy of her claims to be one. But here in Oklahoma we have plenty of Nordic looking Indians on tribal roles, and they can document their status. What race is Obama? African-American, of course. But why is that, since he's half caucasian? Is "race" a matter of strictly physical characteristics? Forensic anthropologists use only highly heritable morphological features to identify human remains on the basis of race (e.g., cranial measurements).

The problem is that there's been so much intermarriage over the millennia that it's hard, if not impossible, to talk about racial purity, so where the boundaries begin and end are judgment calls. Hispanic and Mexican aren't racial categories, but many people of Hispanic or Mexican descent have physical characteristics that enable us to identify them as such with some statistical accuracy. Others don't. So do Jews, Italians, Slavs, Koreans, Vietnamese, Irish, etc., although some can easily fool us. Race is often in the eye of the beholder. There's a funny exchange on the Watergate tapes, where Nixon asks his Chief of Staff Halemann about his National Security Adviser Tony Lake "Is he Jewish?" Reply. ""Well, I'm not so sure, but he looks Jewish." He wasn't even ethnically Jewish at the time and was Episcopalian by religion, but he later converted to Judaism. Whether he just gave in to appearances is unknown.

The real problems come when we associate these features with stereotypical behavior traits that we assume are biologically rooted instead of cultural. As a practical matter, what difference does it make whether we hate somebody because (s)he's a Spic, Kike, Dago, Hunkie, Polack, Mick, Slope etc, and whether or not we think those are racial or ethnic categories. They're all largely social constructs.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  16. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

America has always had an underclass that suffers while everyone else has freedom. The black slaves, the Chinese, the Irish, now the Mexicans. All of them have been looked as OK to exploit, OK to treat as less then. The Irish are white and they were still the problem 100 years ago. Even though they speak English who cares they take MY job. They have strange customs I don't even think they want to be American. What they want is to come to America and steal from it.

If only we got rid of the Irish there would be no crime (no rapists bringing drugs I assume). If only we got rid of the Irish our American way of life would be protected. Who has a problem with the Irish now? It's perfectly fine for anyone with Irish blood to be excited about it. They can fly the Irish flag in their yard.

Why is not OK for someone to do the same with the Mexican flag? It's racism not matter how much you want to get into semantics all you want. Which I notice is a common tactic among the ult-right. They get into these games of words and twist the emanating around. Almost always simple statements.

War is peace
    2+2=5
    This is racist. The issue is what the person not where you think they are when they should not be with this women. The issue is a fear that she as a white person will be a victim by a brown person. Who do you think she voted for? All this family is doing is EXACTLY what white people do with the Confederate flag. Yeah I am an American but the stars and bars are part of my history too. Yeah I am American but my family comes from Mexico. Either way I am entitled to do it. At least Mexico never declared a war of treason on America. Our wars with them were different.

17. soulcompromise

I agree wholeheartedly that "race" is ultimately not very factual. The DNA varies more between people of the same "race" than does the DNA of people from different races. Genetically you are likely to have more in common with someone who is the same height as you than someone who is the same "race". Sociologically race is a social construct. A forensic anthropologist will disagree, but even they don't see eye to eye with one another within that profession. So the issue is a little "fuzzy" as you say.

18. soulcompromise

Here is what happened:

19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

How?

If you assume that Mexico is entirely a brown Latino ethnostate (which it is not), then you may have a chance in justifying it as a race, as you claim that it is (which it isn't). The problem with this argument is that the Hispanic/Latino race covers a LOT more area than just Mexico. Also, I've been to Mexico thrice. And while the population has a brown hispanic majority, there are still plenty of whites of Spaniard descent, Native Mexicans who look a lot like Native Americans from tribes in the US, and other minorities. So really it might be rather racist to assume everyone in a nation like Mexico must look a certain way.

If an Asian family migrated to Mexico, became citizens, spoke the language, and raised 2 generations. They will become Mexican just as the latinos you're talking about.

Yeah I agree, that woman in the video interrogating the homeowner was a jackass. She had no business being offended by that flag. I wonder if she's ever pulled that shit at Mexican restaurants that display the Mexican flag.

From what I understand about flag laws in America, is that it's perfectly legal to fly a foreign flag. However, if you fly a foreign flag with an American flag on the same pole, the American flag must be on top. If you have two flagstaffs, the American flag must be flown on the taller flag staffs above the state's flag, or any foreign flag you decide to fly on that property.

20. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Can't wait till this bad boy goes up!