the magnificent border wall

Discussion in 'Politics' started by egger, Jan 15, 2018.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"Hordes of illegal Swedes." Don't know why that made me laugh--but it did. If there were though, I imagine it would be for our medical system, which is the finest in-----

2. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Pretty sure that was Alinsky.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The Berlin wall was 96 miles long and the Russians had trouble policing that.
    The southern border is 1,954 miles long and transverses towns, deserts, mountains, and rivers. To give you some idea of the distance involved, the distance from Bangor, Maine to Miami, Florida is 1,721.9 miles via I 95S. Image patrolling that distance.

You have to remember that when you look at most maps of the U.S. you're not seeing an accurate projection and the southern border looks shorter than it actually is.

Meliai and stormountainman like this.
  4. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Moreover, critics of the critics who criticize Trumpy never seem to look at the ones who hire the ones called "illegals" to do the work of White Trumpy supporters. Just a few weeks ago, Trumpy commuted the sentence of Sholomo Rubashkin who was serving 28 years for using 400 undocumented workers at his Iowa packing house. So, we have Trumpy bad-mouthing illegals at the same time he helps the one who hires 'em. And Trumpy supporters seem to give a nod of approval when such business men who hire illegals have similar white skin. I just bet Sessions had to sit on his hands to keep from waving at people outside his window, when he heard about Rubashkin.

Lynnbrown and unfocusedanakin like this.
  5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Marx? Wasn't he the guy who was a classic Conflict Theorist? I think he would see the need for a revolution. And he would see the bourgeoisie, the proletariat, (the haves and the have nots). He would say that people are in a disagreement over scarce resources, and that those in power are exploiting those without it. Interesting that you would bring up Marx to satisfy an arguably misguided focal point.

Hispanics are a minority. Let's agree on what minority status means.

Minority | sociology

According to this definition Mexican immigrants are a minority. I think that means Marx would agree that they are being racist and prejudiced as well as discriminatory. Here is an excerpt from a sociology textbook on prejudice and racism. It discusses the definition of racism.

stormountainman likes this.
  6. MeAgain

Yes we have, the international definition of race discrimination is:

soulcompromise likes this.
  7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Even without a wall they would not come if someone did not hire them. The reason Trump outsources to China is the same reason a Mexican can find work picking fruit on a farm. An American will not do it for what you pay the Mexican. Give him $4 an hour because he will still think he's rich compared to Mexican wages. An American even if they are a high school drop out will still require all kinds of taxes, legal obligations, and paper work and at least $9 or `$10 an hour. If you don't give him that you the police are called. The Mexican is too afraid to call the police and these employers know it. Many of them do not want to have hire Americans only despite what they think. What kind of job does a person who does not speak English and has no Social Security card really get? Not having the card alone yet speaking fluent english means most jobs will not hire you. The card proves you are an American. No need for a wall.

8. GeorgeJetStoned

Consider the barrier between India and Pakistan (actually it's a whole region). It can be seen from orbit and it's relatively new. There's no denying that operating a border wall is complicated, but too often I see folks try to post that it's "impossible". It wasn't impossible for India and Kashmir to figure it out. And it was built specifically to halt infiltration.

While I personally think it's a waste of time to build such a thing on the US border, especially in the 21st century. There's plenty of technology that would achieve the same result. There are also laws already on the books for dealing with people who hire under the table workers.

9. GeorgeJetStoned

I would not say that Mexican immigrants are being racists. But then, I do not consider anyone who sneaks across a border an "immigrant". Name one country where an American can sneak in without being arrested.

Our problem with the term "bourgeoisie" is that it has been expanded to include a huge swath of people who are absolutely not of any sort of "privileged" class. The people we used to call "middle class" are little more than worker bees and have little control over their lives. Most of them are 1 sickness, 1 court case or 1 paycheck from living on the street.

The wealthy are the ones who should be catching all the grief, but they have managed to buy all the insulation they could possibly want from us hoi polloi. They own the cops, our jobs, our hospitals and our food supply. They also excel at keeping all us common folk at each other's throats fighting over each other's "-isms" which is really brilliant when you think of it. It keeps them in control and the rest of us distracted.

scratcho likes this.
  10. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

George, the slogan "America First" was first used by the KKK. Trump is a racist. There is no doubt, not even a little doubt.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  11. Kerri

Kerri Members

Of course that’s racist and the way that brown immigrants are portrayed as a justification for building a wall is racist. It’s all a fraud anyway. There was never going to be a wall

scratcho likes this.
  12. GeorgeJetStoned

Google "America First" and you'll find an array of defunct racial sources that haven't been seen in a while. What you will see that's more contemporary are a lot of financial institutions using the same moniker. Weird how a simple term can have so much power these days. The term "racist" is not though. It's used so much these days that it's hard to take seriously. But then, I don't default for the worst possible scenario these days.

Ah, I didn't realize that Charles Lindbergh also coined the term though he was more of an isolationist. I wonder if it came about before his baby was kidnapped and killed.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  13. soulcompromise

I see what you're saying, but what I meant by
    was that Marx would see the bourgeoisie as being the ones with prejudicial and discriminatory intentions. Here we agree that the bourgeoisie are those in power. That includes every "worker bee" that believes in the wall, as they are part of a larger mechanism of racism. They are part of the bourgeoisie class. Not just the wealthy, but those in power. Politics matters. The voters matter. That counts. Don't pretend it doesn't.

14. GeorgeJetStoned

If you really believed that the worker bees were being misled on the wall issue, would you really think they are genuine racists? But again, I personally don't see border control as a race issue. Consider which race the Mexicans are filtering on their southern border. This is where the propaganda aspect of our system really goes off the rails. If everything is "racist", what relevance does the term even hold?

Seriously, if not for defaulting to racism, is it possible that the whole situation could be analyzed in other objective terms? Or is the only tool to remain a hammer?

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Objectively,

The issue of mass migration due to war, economy, and natural disasters isnt going to go away. A wall will not change the circumstances and desperation driving immigrants to seek out a better life. The world is in a period of unrest and change and mass migrations are part and parcel of that.

Europe is going to have to deal with the influx from northern Africa and the Middle East and the US and Canada will have to deal with it from Mexico and Central America. The problem isnt going anywhere and we need to stop focusing on a dumb and expensive wall and seek out real solutions.

But also, I dont see how anyone can deny that Trump was pandering to racists with his whole wall bit. Maybe not all people who want a wall are racist, maybe some are just thoughtless and unrealistic, but that doesnt change the fact that Trump was pandering to racists.

Trump is dumb but he's smart enough to figure out how to excite his "base"

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  16. soulcompromise

Systematic racism is still racism. Using a border wall to separate Mexico from the United States is a lot more than border control. It's racist.

17. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

We get it.

You hate Republicans.

What's your take on intolerance?

GeorgeJetStoned likes this.
  18. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Especially when you're not putting one between the US and Canada

Eric! likes this.
  19. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Mexican is a race?

20. MeAgain

I assume you're talking about the "Line of Control" between India and Pakistan built to stop militants from armed attacks on Indian soldiers?
    It's a 460 mile long double row fence with thousands of landmines in between. The U.S. does not allow landmine use outside of the Korean peninsula, has stopped production and acquisition of anti personal landmines, and is working to conform to a total banning in compliance with the Ottawa Convention.

All we need is a 1,900 mile long border filled with landmines.

stormountainman likes this.