The Magic of the 60s

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by God, May 16, 2004.

1. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

I prefer marijuana over amphetamines, thank you. Hell, I wasn't even diagnosed ADD or ADHD, but I do know I have difficulty concentrating. I mean, I'm fairly intelligent, I just have problems connecting all of my thoughts. Also, I never said it made me smarter (for the second time), I said it HELPED me and a friend of mine CONCENTRATE; concentration =/= smart/intelligent.

That's funny, because marijuana was made illegal because some guy claimed that it made people commit violent crimes and murder people; go to friendlystranger.com to check out some info on it. I just find it ridiculous that marijuana is still Schedule I in the U.S.; that means that it has NO known medicinal use, when it's legal for medicinal use in 9 states... one of which is the state I live in, heh. And finally, I have formed the opinion that you are just trying to piss people off and should be ignorned.

Oh, and daturastolemysoul, I've always considered addiction to be physical addiction and habit forming to be the stuff where you crave the drug, not feeling naseuous or cold and getting the shakes and all that other fun stuff. Also, I didn't read books, I researched for several hours (before even trying pot, call me overly cautious) over a span of about 10 sites, including Erowid and WebMD. I got most of my knowledge from Erowid, but I'll try to keep up to date on my knowledge.

2. daturastolemysoul

daturastolemysoul Member

befor i ever smoked pot i read 3 or 4,one thousand page books on the topic. and once again give this real amarican guy a break. LIBRAL PROPAGANDA IS STILL PROPAGANDA
    i hate fucking blind liberals
    at least this real amarican guy has the balls to come up with his own ideas through experience instead of you the self perclaimed all knower from a few hours of looking at erowid. and who the hell cares what you think the definition of adiction is, you can say that a turtle is a duck, but it sure as hell is still a turtle, and that doesent change nomatter what you call it.
    period.

3. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

its easier to die from asprin than pot.... all ya gotta do is empty the really big bottle in your mouth and swallow!

hee hee no i just thought id say that. i want someone to attack me. i want somebody here to tell me im a communist and then somebody else to tell me im a government agent...

ok now im just pissin everybody off so I'll stop...

no but really as long as ya dont hurt anybody else, to each his own. if the drugs hurt you well no shit ya got yourself to blame. but ya shouldnt be put in jail for it. do what you wantta. everybody has got their reasons and it dont matter why or how you do/dont do drugs... its ya own life and as long as it stays ya own life and not gettin messed up in others lives then shit do what ya want.

yeah so thats my stance on the matter. okay go at me now. i am feeling like an asshole today...if thats possible.... :)

4. Ocean Byrd

I'm not spreading propaganda, I'm spreading personal experience; I don't say that drugs do society good, I just say that they don't do the things people make them out to do. I was giving RA a break until he started attacking my reasons for using drugs. Hell, the whole thing started because he said that you feel the magic of the 60's by doing drugs, which I didn't like because I knew it wasn't true as the 60's weren't all about drugs... I just got annoyed and then he attacked me for saying that he was being rather ignorant.

5. lover/young_peace

this calls for a

PEACE TREATY!!!!!

6. Ocean Byrd

Indeed, I don't like to give up; if the argument continues, I'll be sure to follow... I can't help it, lol.

7. Real American

Real American Banned

Ocean Byrd, everything I have said I have stood by. I simply take what you say and throw it in your face. I believe it was you who told me that because I wasn't alive in the 60's that I can't realy know, and yet, you make statements like this:
    Every single one of your posts contradicts something you have said.

To end this debate I say this. The 60's in and of itself were essentially based on sex, drugs, and rock&roll. Coupled with that were groups forming to protest something. You want the "magic" of the 60's to return?? Have more sex, take more drugs, and pick up an instrument and turn it into art(or turn your sex and drug use into art as well).

I'm willing to bet that most here(other than the older generation that were actualy alive during the time) don't know when this "60's lifestyle" began and ended. I can assure you it wasn't in 1960 and 1970.

8. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

That kind of artsy lifestyle was always around in some shape and form. It's just that in the 60's and early 70's, it was in the mainstream. It's still here today, especially on these forums, but it's not as widely recieved as it was back then.

What I think we represent, is just more passion and emotion put into music, art, etc. Nowadays, almost every pop act in the world, is in it for the money, and they have little to no talent, but they're attractive. And we all know the record companies' motto don't we? Sex sells. That's right, sex and only sex sells. Nobody cares about the music. But when a band comes along that sounds talented or emotional but looks like hell, & the radio stations pick the one song that became a hit for this band, and play it to DEATH!~!~!~! Therefore, the record companies can make people sick of this band with the one song, and get a new act out that is sexy, but untalented. Once again, draining the chances of a talented act to get a recording contract.

Which is why if we can get a steady flux of talented bands and musicians to start playing, the record companies will finally come to their senses and start signing some talented bands, and not overplay their one hit song on the radio to death. That's is what I want to do to try and bring back the 60's lifestyle to a wider audience. But do the rest of you have to say?

9. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

Ok, RA, I'm sick of your preconseptions about the people here. You have not truely read anything that I have said, and I see that you have no desire to know what I think, or hear anything the differs from your personal comfort level. So I'm not going to continue arguing my point.

Just a few things before I leave. Questioning athority is vital for any person, and has NOTHING to do with rebelion. However, rebelion can be healthy too, we all need to assert our indepenance, and induviduality! And as my final statement (not that it matters, but I thought it may make a difference in some people's minds) I do not do any drugs, legal or other wise!!!! I do take herbs, and natural remedies, and I do inclued weed in that catogory (though I don't do it now.)

Please, RA, for your own sake, look out side of your little box once and a while!

10. Kitaro

Kitaro Member

Oh my God, again that experience mania... yeah, you're right, daturastolemysoul, it irritates me when I see those guys who apearantly know everything and tquickly you find out that they've never smoked it. But pleaaase, just because they didn't smoke doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about.

Just thinking... we're arguing THIS much just because a humble plant? Leave it alone, it won't bite you... :confused: unless you want it to bite you... ^^

11. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

You're not talking about me, are you? Well, if you are let me clearify. I said that I dont do pot NOW. I didn't say that I've NEVER done it!!! My goodness, I'd be a little silly to open my big mouth if that were the case (though, my points would still be valid!) Sorry if I confused anyone! ;)

12. Experience Haze

Experience Haze Member

both ocean byrd and real american suck, nobody wants to hear you two bitch at each other! now, back to the topic. why dont people just chill out now-a-days, love each other. love IS magic:) thats how i see it, just a lot of love back in those days, too bad i missed it... LET'S BRING IT BACK!

13. Real American

Real American Banned

I have no preconceptions of anyone here. Everything I said in my first post was my own opinion, just like everyone elses. After that, I posted in replies to others. If you yourself come up in a post of mine, it is because you said something that I felt important to highlight. Most of those important things are times when people contradict themselves. Also, If i did not want to see other peoples pov's, I wouldn't be here. What you should do is take some of your own advice and listen and learn. Several times I have tried to get this topic back on topic, yet I keep having to reply to un-needed comments. Like yours right now.

Well, remeber that when your child has rebelled against you, err I mean, when he questions your authority, don't be mad at him, because you said it's ok right here.

MichaelByrd1967:
    Even back in the 60's people created bands and made music for money. There may have been a few more groups than today that did it strictly for the love of music and art, but for the most part, money was always involved and always will be. As far as saying most new bands dont have talent, well, I have to disagree. Perhaps you don't like their music, doesn't mean someone out there won't. I myself listen to all types of music and personaly can't stand music that has people screaming at the top of their lungs. A few of my friends however love that kind of music. As far as playing a song over and over, well, they do it because people love to hear it. It's also advertisment for that wonderful idea of capitolism.

Experience Haze:
    I personaly don't want to see you complaining about our debate. However, this is a free forum open to discus whatever. So, in that same idea, you can join in on the debate, or hush.

Again, as for the magic of the 60's they will never return. With time comes change, nothing ever stays the same. I said it before and I'll say it again. Start using the "sex drugs and rock&roll" theory more in your life to get that fealing back.

14. lover/young_peace

whats wrong with sex,drugs,and rock & roll ?!?!?!?

15. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

You know, I wasn't around in the 60's, so I honestly cannot say what is was like. I hear it was great, and I think we need another movment like it in our own time. We need love, and peace. Not just the nonwar kind of peace, but peaceful people, peaceful living, nonviolence in every part of our lives! That was the goal and ideal of the 60's hippie movement, to the best of my knowledge. I think that is something we can all agree that we want to see in our life time, and that of our children, no?

Peace and love, it's so simple.

16. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

hehe..yes indeed...

"Peace and love and harmony. Tell me how hard can it be? It's easy. Believe me."- "Eye to Eye"- Ringo Starr

17. alice_d_millionaire

alice_d_millionaire Just Do It©

man, i just read every post in here... what an ill tempered thread! well, being so young and naive ;), i wont dare to say anything, lest i be accused of being a druggie or a crabby old man. c'mon people, smile on your brother.

18. Real American

Real American Banned

It's a great theory, but it will never happen. That's the way the world is. Obviously the idea behind the 60's movement didn't work either. The one thing I will point out is nothing is stoping you from having your "60's" all over again. As a matter of fact, lefties all over march against the war, burn the American flag, and practicly do everything that was done back then. I think it will never be the same again simply because a lot of people grew up and realized that this is life and that we all can't just get along.

Oh, and to this post :
    With you being 13, I seriously hope you aren't having sex and using drugs. If you are, go talk to your parents, you may not realize it, but they love you. Very disturbing statement.

19. Ocean Byrd

Who are you to dictate how other's should live their lives? Seriously dude, fuck you.

20. Kitaro

Kitaro Member

Lunar, my man, it wasn't for you! lol it was to daturastolemysoul (it actually was in the post, but whatever, screw it :))