The Magic of the 60s

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by God, May 16, 2004.

1. Kitaro

Kitaro Member

ook...what THEY DID WAS ILEGALIZE ALL KINDS OF DRUGS. What happen? Well, more and more young people take heavy drugs sooner... becuase the dealer who sells him marijuana will be the same person who will sell him cocaine, heroine and so on.
    Look at Holland, for example. The medium age for heroine users has dropped from 25 in 1991 to 36, in 1996. This is REALLY good! Society is finally understanding that cannabis is as dangerous as tobacco (as you know, or SHOULD know, FAR mor mortal; noone has ever died from smoking pot, and believe, this is true).

I don't understand why people still call «drug» to anything but tobacco caffeine or alcohol. If we continue this lack of knoledge, what will happen next?

2. Real American

Real American Banned

Actualy, I am one of those people that are a perfect canidate to talk to others about drugs. Started in my freshman year of high school I began smoking weed. In my Jr. year I tried LSD. That gel stuff you kids play with today was just comming around then. We had little stamp like hits and eye droppers. Continued smoking weed and taking acid for a year or so after school. Then, while living in Corpus Christi and working at the biggest night club there, I tried cocaine. At this point in my life, if you were partying in downtown CC, you knew who I was. I went by the name SinBad. My habbit turned into an 8-ball a day. During this time my wife and I learned exactly how much we loved each other. Tired of the loser the drugs had turned her husband into, my wife gave me an ultimatum. Either quit the drugs, or we were over. With her being the love of my life, and my son begining to be aware of what was around him, I chose my family. I quit using drugs right then and there. There was no withdraw. There were no weeks of trying. It happened in a matter of minutes. As a survivor of mind altering drugs, I can speak first hand at their destructive abilities. Don't lecture me on being narrow minded. Don't call me biased.

Oh, and this was just stupid.
    You are right, they died of lung cancer. In a study, scientists from University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) found that tar in marijuana smoke contains higher concentrations of substances called hydrocarbons than tar from tobacco smoke does. These hydrocarbons are a key factor in promoting human lung cancer. It does cause cancer. Get educated or hush!

3. God

God Member

what needs to happen is this. legalize and regulate the psychedelic drugs, because many people use these for spiritual/religious purposes, and thus some government law isn't going to stop them from using them.

as for narcotics, have a system much like the old 1920s did, where if you were an addict, you went to your doctor, he prescribed the drug for you, and also would offer you a chance to join a reduction-cure treatment. the crime rate was MUCH lower back then, because there wasn't a large black market. addicts are sick people that our government preys upon. they are the niggers of our society.

as for alcohol and tobbaco, alcohol is as bad as heroin in some cases, and all the alcohol advertisements should be removed and banned from all mediums (TV, magazines, radio), much as tobbaco ads have been banned in TV and radio.

all in all, the so called 'drug war' is a massive failure, because it has refused to deal with the problem with compassion. it is a medical problem, not a criminal one, and the longer people ignore this fact, the worse it will all get.

4. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

wow, God, I really agree with you. What a good idea you on the supposed "drug problem." I guess that's why you are a god, and I am not. ;)

5. God

God Member

ha, thanks

6. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

No, I'm WAS saying that the 60's weren't all about drugs; I was responding to your "60's effect" comment. I never said anywhere that you need to be a certain age to have an opinion, just to not be ignorant. Hey, that's a good quote if you reword it...

"Age does not bring opinon, only enlightenment." I dunno, needs tweaked...

Honestly, I have never heard of anyone getting lung cancer from marijuana use alone. Also, people smoke marijuana less than they would cigarettes; statistics mean absolute shit dude.

Oh, and that's too bad that you had that painful experience with drugs; but realize, they didn't cause you to continue doing them. If you quit in minutes, then it's obvious you could have stopped anytime you liked, so don't lecture us about opinions that were formed from a blind standpoint.

7. Kitaro

Kitaro Member

True. Statistics have no power against that.

8. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

I'm going to have to agree that the drugs themselves were not the problem for you, and certainly not the weed. It was your misuse of them. Many people do misuse them, no one will argue that, but many people misuse alcohol, and pain killers, and they are not inherently evil, either.

9. Real American

Real American Banned

No no, that would be censorship and that's not right...correct? Besides, Lunar Forest's children would rebel against their authorities and wouldn't be happy. I do however agree with your ideas. The best thing though would just to elemenate all use of the drugs. But that will never happen.

Ok, so I'm ignorant until I hit the age of 44?

Nobody said anything about statistics. But now that you mention it, statistics is a valuable way to gather information. How do you think they test drugs for medicianl purposes. How do you think they get the "most common side effects".

No, an inaminent object can't force me to do anything. However, the drugs are addicting. One must posses the will power to stop sing. In most cases statistacly speaking users are unable to just walk away. Bigger point being is the drugs do nothing of benifit for me or my family. Using the drugs do not make you money. They don't make you smarter( to use this one on you): I have never heard of anyone doing better in school or work from smoking weed. They don't pay your bills legaly(of course unless you are a rebelious person who likes breaking the law).

Point is to you, the use of drugs other than for medicinal purposes are a waste. They do nothing for you. You can argue all you want about weed not causing health problems. I'll look at the facts while you assume. Oh yeah, and show me where you have heard that drugs had a posative effect on a person when taken recreationaly.

10. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

drugs. to each his own.

11. Ocean Byrd

You don't take hints, do you? I was commenting on your statement about the 60's unexplainable magic being caused by some drug-induced delirium. I was saying that if you didn't live in a time period, you can't say anything about what went on during it. Get it now?

Ahem...

Looks like you were inciting statistics to me...

Wow, where do you get your "facts", Freevibe? First of all, duh, a substance is not solely responsible for a person's inability to to do something for themselves. Marijuana is not addicting, habit forming, but not addicting; I have no idea why you got into coccaine, but it's good you were able to quit. But that brings me to the question: Why were you able to quit when your wife threatened to leave you, but not when you wanted to? I have come to the conclusion that you had some kind of issues going on in your life, and so you cannot blame drugs for your misfortune; that's just plain ignorant/dumb.

Second, I never said pot made me smarter, I said it helped me to concentrate. My cousin, who has ADD, gains the same benefit, except he pulls off better grades. I, unfortunately, have only started having problems with my attention issues, and thus have not been able to develope a way to cope with them. I do, however, find that I produce far better (I produce without chemical substances also, of course) while I'm high. In fact, I began acing my tests without studying again; something I haven't been able to do for the past two years.

I know many people that use drugs as a goal; earn a certain grade and you can smoke, etc. Oh, and I didn't give this example in my last post because I assumed you were an intelligent and open minded individual (of which you are making me question), but I have a friend who has a 4.0, a job, tons of friends and lots of stuff going for her (vocal artist and actor may be in her future), and she conquered her depression; she smokes pot at least once a day, everyday. Now, just because you've never heard of these benefits, doesn't mean they don't exist; just like your tar statistics.

Thirdly, I can't believe you even typed that last paragraph. I know there are health problems that come with marijuana use; sure, it's bad for your lungs, but you can stop smoking it, or eat it if you really want to. Tell me, what other "facts" have you heard? I also didn't say that there are positive effects when drugs are taken recreationally; I said that I used it recreationally and responsibly, but not that there were positive effects.

Finally, come one, I'm 16 years old and I know more about a subject where you claim to have spent several years in the middle of. Do us all a favor and stop spreading propaganda; it only pisses people off because yet another conformist puppet is flashing his/her ignorance. Try to speak like an individual, oh, and:

*gets off soap box*

12. Real American

Real American Banned

To rephrase that and say the same thing, you state: "I never said you need to be a certain age to have an opinion, you just have to be a certain age to not be ignorant". That's the same thing you said reworded.

You are one to talk aren't you. Guess you being 16 you must have lived in a previous life in the 60's wich gives you the right to talk about it.

The statistics you think I mention aren't an average out of testing. They aren't saying that on average marijuana tar has more hydrocarbons(wich then would be considered a statistic)...they are saying that marijuana tar does have more hydrocarbons always.

statistic-sta·tis·tic -st[​IMG]-t[​IMG]s[​IMG]t[​IMG]k
    1. A numerical datum.
    2. A numerical value, such as standard deviation or mean, that characterizes the sample or population from which it was derived.
    3. One viewed as a nameless item of statistical information: got laid off and became another statistic in the slumping economy.
    LoL..so you are dependant upon it to concentrate? Sounds addictive. In your own words, just because you haven't heard about it being addictive, doesn't mean that it isn't. Biggest thing on addictive substances, the user most of the time doesn't realize they are addicted. Of course, because you brought up friends and their relationship with the drug. I have friends that openly admit that they are addicted to it. They tried going a day without smoking and failed. But I know, you are 16 with years of experience and surpass my limited knowledge.

I quit when I wanted to. The reaon I didn't quit before that was because I didn't want to. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Me using the drug affected my relationship with my wife. It affected my reality, as all drugs do. I quit because I loved my family more than the drug and made up my mind that I did not need it.

Way to many contradictions there. Even in your fight for the right to smoke, you screw up and proove my point.

And yet, here we are again.....
    Looks like you are using it for scholastic purposes now. Do I have to requote you on your positive effects that you say you didn't say?

Looks as if I just knocked you off your soap box.

Yeah, I'm a puppet. Grow up little one, I talk from experience. Also my young comunist, if we all rebeled and didn't conform in some way, imagine how unstable and chatoic this world would be. It would be worse.

*offers hand to help you back on your feet...levels soap box....helps you climb back on*

13. Pobble

Pobble Member

errm- just to clarify here- it is the leaves of the cannabis plant which are five times more carciogenic then tobacco. however, what is mainly smoked is hash- or the resin and bud, which is less carciogenic than tobacco.

also, cannabis is not addictive, but it can become a habit like biting your fingernails when stressed

14. Ocean Byrd

Oh wait, I didn't talk about how the 60's were all about drugs. God damn boy, can't you think about something before mouthing off about it? I said that they weren't all about drugs, which is more than likely true, as compared to what you stated.

Obviously, you are illiterate:

And I've been clean for 3 weeks as of now (I smoked at a graduation party, not mine, but that was the last time before I was ticketed). I only bought maybe once a month, every other month, before hand; I controlled the use. Also, addiction implies that you suffer withdrawl, physical addiction; you don't get that from marijuana alone. However, it is habit forming, which means that it is psychologically addicting, but willpower is something that easily combats that. Your friends (and you, when you were doing coccaine) did not possess enough to stay clean; I can stay sober for 6 months or however many years I need to, if I really desired. But, I'm not noticing any negative impact, so I continue to use pot recreationally; but not right now, I'm on UAs.

And, obviously, my 16 years of experience does surpass your limited knowledge as I realize that there is such thing as responsible drug use. Saying that anyone who uses drugs has a problem is rather ignorant; just because you struggled doesn't mean others don't. I guess your philosophy for addictin applies to your ignorance, also; "Ignorance is bliss."

No, your drug use was out of hand; an 8-ball a day? That's hardly what I'd call responsible. See, YOU had a problem.

There are no contradictions; if you had the ability to assess information and put it together you'd realize that I was saying that I was paying better attention in class and thus absorbing and retaining the information better, allowing me to do better on the tests without studying. Pot is only a temporary way of dealing with my attention problems. But, then again, I'm the one who is wrong because I'm trying to defend my reasons for smoking pot... right?

Maybe positive effects that I received, I never said that everybody benefited in the same way. Some people can't write a coherent sentance while stoned, much less write an entire essay, like I have.

Nope, but you did make me waste some time on areas where you failed to read correctly and actually realize what I was trying to say.

Hey, I'm commenting on your narrow mindedness, not telling you that everyone should do drugs to stick it to the man. For being however many years older than me, you sure don't act grown up; not to mention the fact that you feel that my free thinking makes me communist. I may believe in a few of the concepts (sharing land, sure, but not universal pay and predetermined jobs), but I actually don't identify with any type of government. I guess I'm more counterculture than I realized... Oh well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that you talk a lot, but don't say very much.

15. Psilodelix

Psilodelix Member

Real American, guess what buddy, you're one of those people who take a psychedelic (lsd in your case) to "see pretty colors and giggle"(visceral experience, the mental was wasted on you)... I am 100% sure that you never experienced what it REALLY means to TRIP. You're a wannabie!

Not every ‘rock star’ that dropped acid became Leary, Watts, or even Lennon

Since you've never experienced it, all of your arguments are doomed to a world of irrelevance to everyone who reads them... they all take place in the world of the great delusion… It’s got amazing membership statistics… how do I know you didn’t get it? I need no proof other than the way you speak of life and the way you make arguments.

To say that human beings should never change their brain chemistry is a completely hypocritical and shows a complete lack of understanding for what makes-up our reality.

When people “ascend” to “heaven” how do you think that works? Does their “soul” physically fly to some place!?!?! Hahahaha, of course not…. To ascend to heaven is referring to the profound heightening of the consciousness upon death. Why do you think people who have “near death experiences” come back with a new found wisdom/enlightenment? It is because similarly with mind expanding drugs… the difference between you and god is only perspective and knowledge. Consciousness

16. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

RA, Do you have a problem with all drug treatmeants of problems such as ADD and ADHD? Or just the ones that your govormeant says are naughty? If smoking weed helps this man with his problems, than we should thank the gods! He is not harming anyone, not even himself, and he is able to help himself. It may seem silly to you, but if you had ever truely experienced it, or loved someone who is(or pareted someone who is!) than you would rejoyce with this young man when he saiad that this helps him! This is so much better than getting those nasty perscription drugs that just surpress, and oppress the person!

I am so glad you for, OB, and your friend for finding something to help you concentrate, I know where you are coming from, man!

17. daturastolemysoul

daturastolemysoul Member

this whole argument between "real_american" and "ocean byrd" is just absolutly redicules. i mean come on, for one thing, i personaly am a huge drugs user, i smoke pot maybe 5 or 6 times a day and have been for the past few years on and off, and i have to say that there are deffinetly physical responses to the chemical thc not being in my system. if i dont smoke for a day i get extreamly irritable and pissed off, things loose clarity and i am often hit by bouts of consfusion. and hey im not saying drugs are bad hell i love drugs, but you just need to acctually get your facts strait in order to critisis someoneselses facts. for one things pot is physical addictive they even proved it recently with NEW STUDIES, yup thats right people come out with new information about this stuff all the time, so you may have read somewhere on the internet last year the pot is not addictive but that could be outdated today, they have come up with the theory that since thc is stored in you fat it low amounts of thc are released into you blood even when you are not smoking thus taking you off the drug slowly, reducing physical effects. and your wrong about addiction you said that "Also, addiction implies that you suffer withdrawl, physical addiction; you don't get that from marijuana alone." and this is just not true, adicction has to do with anything that effects your everydaylife drastcally, so no physical addiction is required to make you an addict. I personally would say that i was and am addicted to mushrooms, this may seem like an odd thing to be addicted to but its as serious as anything else.
    and one more thing you are complaining that this "real american" is feeding you propaganda yet you yourself are having liberal propaganda being shoved down your throughts and doing the same to others, just because the ideas are liberal does not mean that they are not propaganda. yup
    and hey i think that your points are valid. just read somemore books. new ones hehe
    yup

18. God

God Member

To sum it all up,

Don't blame a drug for the stupidity of it's user.

19. Real American

Real American Banned

Ocean Byrd...you contradicted yourself and your beliefs over and over. All I did was point them out. If your brain is to screwed up from the drug use to see that well then im sorry. I took everything you said and quoted you. Several times you would say "it doesn't make you smarter" then say, it helped me or it helped my friend in school. I can go on and on, fact is, you wont see the truth until you grow up.Lunar Forest...you have to be one of the slowest people I have ever talked to. I clearly stated in several posts that i agree with drug use for medicianal purposes. Does that in your world mean I am against it? Oh, and one more thing, perhaps you should get a job with Baylor or another Big Medical school so you can start teaching them the ways of research. Because I am sure they have never tested the use of marijuana to help that stupid problem called ADD or ADHD. They have people testing new ideas and drugs daily on every freaking known disease and problem out there. Chemists, Doctors, Scientists, Mathmaticians....practicaly every valuable field of expertise is donating their knowledge to studies all over to make your life better. But then, from your previous posts, I'm sure you and your family have decided that those people striving to make your life better are funded by "the man" and are secretly creating ways to get inside your brain and controle your actions and thoughts. That's right, I'm refering to you mentioning that your kids would rebel against authority.
    Way to teach and promote rebelion.

My wife was diagnosed with it, her parents decided the doctor was crazy, she is fine and has always been fine. Yeah, it's a strange new idea and theory that has evolved recently...the idea of spending time with your children and giving the the love and attention they need and desire.

Honestly, this has nothing to do with the subject at hand. I think it is important that you read what daturastolemysoul has to say. He is here saying it is addictive. OH MY GHOSH!!!! Let me ask you this...if these drugs you think are ok for your body and don't harm you...don't you think they would still be legal? Oh wait, I'm sure you have a conspiracy theory for that as well.

20. Psilodelix

Psilodelix Member

Real American, you truly are an idiot.

I think it is an interesting choice of name for yourself, Real American... I'd say that it suits you quite well, in fact, it sums it all up. You are so desperately lost in the great delusion… Why don’t you get off the computer and go watch FOX news, I mean… so you can collect some more FACTS.

Pathetic. Obviously wisdom is not GUARENTEED with age.

-PsDX