The Magic of the 60s

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by God, May 16, 2004.

1. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

There is no way that, we can have a time as fun and magical as the 60's, again. Unless we work for it. WE CAN DO IT! All it takes is a few things:

1. Put A Little Love In Your Heart.

2. Object To WHATEVER The Government Tells You Is Wrong.

3. Peacefully Protest, but don't be hypocritical.

4. Be Peaceful, and when somebody puts you down; smile and flash the peace sign at them.

5. Don't force anything on anybody. I'm sure most of us are anti oppression.

These are not laws, these are not guidelines, these are not rules. You won't be penalized or punished for breaking them. They are a tool for showing the world, how to live. The only way to live is in peace.

And peace you shall show them.

2. Magical Mystery Girl

Magical Mystery Girl Member

Josie, thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy you enjoyed our music! Nice to see young children enjoying it as well.

We're about to begin recording our first album and as soon as it's ready, I'll let you know. ;)

As for the board, yes it is pretty big. I've been browsing it for several months now and I still haven't seen even half of it. But it's such a warm community...very refreshing to be a part of.

Thank you again and share it with everyone you know who might enjoy it. :)

3. JosieJune

JosieJune Member

Absolutely! What a talented band!
    And don't forget to let me know...I would be honored to buy your album!

See 'ya around!

Paz,
    Josie

4. God

God Member

damn, i'm almost sorry for starting this thread. I see a lot of us are really non-optimistic. yea, the world is pretty messed up, it has always been. It's getting better all the time, believe it or not. What was it, just 40 years ago, in some cities, it was illegal to go into the 'colored' section?

remember, revolution, one smile at a time.

5. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

Well, I for one am glad that you started it. You're right, we need to be more optomistic! Nothing is going to happen if we don't believe that it will. The mind is a powerful tool, and it'll weigh you down if you let it!

Keep on smiling!

6. CalJam

CalJam Member

We don't have to lose the concept that once was, it is in most of our hearts to want to Share The land or to love our brother. The 60's were not only about the music but also about the ways we carried our heart felt voices to the world, the 60's are known for the Love generation and we still have it. It is just up to you the individual to carry the message still and not forget where we or your past brothers and sisters came from and went through. In this not so easy world now there are still a lot of good things and good people that never lost the vibe and even more now this world needs Love. Yeah it sounds corny but its true, back then all you needed was love. I got by some hardtimes by my brothers and sisters who shared the same feelings and ideas that we all are in this together and together we pick up our brothers and sisters when we fall. Don't give up the idea that we lost the feeling, I can't! It is what gets me by in this era. Peace In Music...

7. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

Indeed...that is what I think is going to get us through this. The idea that we can live in love, the idea that we can find the inner light in ourselves and everyone. The principles of the 60s are alive in our hearts its true. I just hope it won't take long before we are able to make the world realize them again... :) Peace forever. All you need is love.....

"With our love we could save the world"- "Within You, Without You"- The Beatles; George Harrison

*Peace and Love*
    Nicole

8. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

sorry. i am naturally pessimist... and am excuseing myself from the conversation for the day.

~~Peace~~

9. Republican

Republican Banned

magic of the 60's?

I wasn't alive but from what I understand the 60's were a time when americans tryed to ruin the nation... Peace is good and all and I am all for it. but Its not worth letting our troops die... many people lost their lives in this war and the people of the 60's continued to protest... look at world war II every one supported the troops... that dosn't mean they suported the war.. but they didn't want the troops to die... people went through hell in 'nam and came back to a country where no one wanted them... I know alot about vietnam.. I represented them in model United Nations.. the country is poor and unable to suport its self It is living prof of the only problem with communism... corruption.. due to the geneva convention we would have been forced to help rebild the country if the war would have been ended. But because we pulled out we did not have to help and now the people live in poverty with no food and watter... mabe the 60's were a good time but im shure happy im not to blame for the suffering of a nation...

10. HippieDude1967

HippieDude1967 Member

The protesting helped bring back the troops sooner (meaning less deaths). The protesting did not cause anyone to die in Vietnam...

11. craftyone

craftyone Member

Oh yeah, Just give me a cuase, I have set a path, to live day to day letting noone stand in my way if you do I will find a way to make it work. let non stand before me and prevent a solution. To stand for common ground is to incite a revolution. One of my favorites is when your sleeping in your car and the man comes and asks you what r u doing here. (well I was sleeping) I tell you the hippie revolution is still strong the problem I feel is the lack of ambition to actually make a change by most. There are many of us who fight for dignity and self respect. I could go on for hours realy... I was raised on a small farm in North Dakota. The only thigng that ever change our situation was ourselves. Motivation and posstitive manefestation was our tool for survival. So In my fight I have created just days ago Crafty Trades http://wwwcraftytrades.com If you know any phamily that is in need of a place to post I will provide as much as I can. I am proud to promote alternative living. and not the one they sell in a book. For my crafty brothers and sisters I offer my free services. Classified adds, Photo albums, journals,links,news,forums,chat (to come very soon) I need your help to shape this for I am tring to build a community trying to link our crafty little lives together in hope we all may gather and cherish what we have built. This site is fully interactive pleas do not hesitate to post anything when you visit tis is yours as much as mine. Love your phamily...peace

12. Republican

Republican Banned

yes this is true but decreased morale got people to kill themselves and to kill their friends... granted this also had to do with drugs but the morale and drugs together really messed up the soldiers..

the protesting did not directly kill aney troops.. but it did lower morale and you cant win a war with our morale.. more people died in the "peace" that followed after we pulled out..
    south vietnamese soldiers were masicerd and children and women were slaughtered.. I should know my friends father was in the SVA (south vietnamese army).... He got out and came to america to excape..

13. sassure

sassure Member

The point is that we live in a different ambience now, so the revolution must be unique.

In the '60s, groups like the Jefferson Airplane made music, smoked reefer, dropped acid, and slept with everyone and everything. Grace Slick has said that there were times when she didn't know if they had any money at all, even when they were famous. Most of the time they had no idea how much they were making, or what they had in the bank....they let the bean counters do that.

By the time groups like the Eagles came along, you have Glenn Frey and Don Henley saying that they would do it right, that they would make some serious money. Whoa....talk about a change.

2004? Are you kidding? Look at Madonna, the ultimate bean-counter-diva. Whereas in the '60s the music drove the cart and the money followed, now money drives the music, so that huge sucking sound you hear ain't just a windstorm over the prairie......

14. Real American

Real American Banned

Sorry, but that euphoric time you speak of and refer to as the 60's was created by mass consumption of drugs. Of course they had no clue if they had money or not, the were stoned. Drugs of any kind taken for any reason other than medicinal purposes ruin your life. They do nothing for you. They alter your perception of time and the way you think for the worse. Yeah, you can have the 60's affect all over again. Just keep smoking your weed, taking your hits, doing the lines, and poping your pills. Your kids will thankyou for it!

15. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

I think the reason why the 60's were so magical is that the music was new and joyous and original, and it freaked the kids out. Now everything freaking the kids out is scary and violent and angry.

My guess is, if we wanted to bring back a magical feeling into this world, it's gonna have to start with music. And it's already starting, with bands getting back to the basics (ex. Jet, The Strokes). Pretty soon, rap, pop and neo-metal will exhaust itself, and it'll be our chance to bring back some wholesome music.[​IMG]

16. lunaluvcat

lunaluvcat Member

I used to get really bummed out when I would dwell on the fact that I missed out on the sixties, but now I just focus on the truth that we should be thankful for phamily everywhere and know we all have a connection.

17. Republican

Republican Banned

the only thing IMHO that came out of the 60's was good music.. and with out the 60's music modern music would be alot diffrent and I may be a republican but i love rock. and even though the music was influenced by drugs for example "Lucey in the Sky With Dimonds" there still good... gotta luv u sum Betals. :p

and with out the music from the 60's we would have no korn, linkin park, disturbed, Hoobastank, blink 182, green day, switch foot, story of the year, well i could go on for days that would have not existed if the 60's hadn't.. I may not have perticulary liked the moovement but they new how to make a song.. or at least most of 'em..

oh and yea jet rocks I luv them it sounds like oldies.. I wuz listining to "be my girl" and my mom was in the car and she said "I dont rember this song" lol well it was a good thing she didn't because it was shortly after it came out lol..
    I need 2 get their CD.

18. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

Yeah, jet does rock! But, where's the message? Doesn't that have a lot to do with it? I mean, good music is awesome, and essential for life (can you tell I was raised by hippy musicians?) but what are they singing about? A hot mama? Come on, there is a whole hell of a lot more out there than getting laid. I'm sick of hearing nothing but how horney we are, or in love, or whatever! I mean, these things can make for great music, too, but we need more than that! I want to be inspired to do more than date! You know?

And yeah, the beatles totally rock! I'm listening to abbey road right now! "Bang, bang Maxwell's silver hammer came down upon her head. Bang, bang Maxwell's sillver hammer made sure that she was dead..." They had the right idea! Their music was contorverial, political, mindexpanding, and just plain fun! (Now, can you tell I'm a huge beatle's fan?!) There is more to music than just a good vibe, as vital as that vibe is!

Are you hearing me?

19. Real American

Real American Banned

Some of the music was bearable. I myself get tired of hearing music with riddles in it. I don't want to have to be high to understand it. Once again, this leads to the drugs they were on when they wrote the songs.

20. Republican

Republican Banned

jet sings about hot chicks and there is nuting wrong with that... gotta luv hot chicks so i see nutin wrong w/ it.