The Magic of the 60s

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by God, May 16, 2004.

1. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

Ooops...that's what I meant...it just came out wrong. I like the ying yang concept::sigh:: Reason #324 not to use cliches...

2. Jezmund

Jezmund Member

The "Magic of the Sixties" was obviously sparked through music. That does not seem even remotely possible in this day and age. The corporate powers that control the government have a tight grip on all forms of media including music. Anyone that tries to communicate a non conformist message through music or anything else will find in impossible.

There is one thing that the corporations cant control though and that is Internet which is much more effective than the radio anyway. There is a internet connection in almost every home now and the message is being spread. The flame is being fed and the corporations that profit from war and oil wont know what hit them when they are engulfed by this fire.

More people are turning their interest from the TV to the internet which is a good thing. sooner or later all this info will get to everyone in the world and we will all realize that the new revolution has finally begun.

Knock on wood

3. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

i believe this to an extent, but a wise man once said "revolution starts within"

~shine on in love and light~
    Sundance

4. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

]
    cough(mtv)cough

5. MarkN

MarkN Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I LOVE you guys :) ......but sometimes ooooooooo I just want to shock you with some zappo paddles. LOL
    This kind of fits into the yin/yang conversation. The sixtys were great! and the sixtys were bad. Along with the force of universal love we had a most worth oppoient. The establishment. The goverment shipping us off to a unjust war. Racial bigotry, Puritan sexual attitudes etc.

The sixties are over.

You have the same problems today.....no....you have even greater "cause" to have your own "movement". It could be much greater than the sixtys was.

The internet is a tool. A good source of info & communication, but your not going to have a revolution sitting at home typing on the keyboard. (Please understand, I not scolding anyone. Just trying to help.) An Internet movement, will be just that.....a movement on the internet. Not in real life.
    This is not a video game. Those are your real live brothers & sisters getting killed and wounded over in Iraq. For what? Oil?

You all are aware of the apathy or the negitive of your generation. Your waiting on a "spark"??
    YOU ARE THE SPARK!! everyone of you.
    Don't wait on some Messiah Hippie to lead.
    YOU be the leader.
    What would I do if I were 17-30?
    I might get a buddy and go down to the Army recruiting office. Just hang out outside the doors, maybe pull some guy beside that is going in to sign up. State your case to him. You might just make him think twice about joining. Ok, the next day maybe 2 other friends come. You guys could bring lawn chairs. Take 2 spaces in the parking lot in front of the recruitment office. All of you sitting facing the office...."watching". Print up some fylers. hand them out. Put them under windshield wipper blades. If the cops hassle you. Call the Media. Local TV stations, Newspaper. Get "them" intrested in what you have to say.

I agree with the poster that said that it starts "within".
    Start by saying out loud......
    THIS IS NOT A DRESS REHERSAL.......THE TIME IS NOW

repeat it.

just an idea I had.

6. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

So well said, MarkN, your words inspire me! Now I've gotta find me some of those buddies!

7. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

I love that idea! also lacking in friends that have opinions strong enough to stand up for........
    Personally I think everybody here is missing a key ingredient to the whole 60's revolution..........LSD was completely legal! It seems as thouhg it was an uncommon event to go toa show in the 60's and not find acid everywhere.......whether it be a garbage can filled with kool-aid spiked with lsd, candy circulating the crowd with a hit on it......or even balloons falling from the ceiling all containing a hit.........it was everywhere...and now it seems to be nowhere.......
    I think our generation has been spoonfed bullshit from local officer D.A.R.E. that says what is ok to take and what is not.....its ok to take a pill containing god knows what chemicals as long as a pharmacist gives it to you...but ingesting a plant that grows from the ground is wrong....
    I think the power of LSD is underestimated now....personally that had a HUGE influence on the 60's and I'd think that anybody that has had a psychedelic experience of any sort will agree with me

8. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

Another point I forgot to add..........musicians of the 60's didn't give a shit about being payed...they wanted to spread the love there music brings......nobody can put a price on that.........

Nowadays ticket pricing is ridiculous with all the added fee's so John CEO can by his ungrateful son the new mercedes suv that all the cool kids in school are driving...........

I've read stories where ticket pricing was based on the persons income....a wealthy business manager may pay ten bucks where a poor college kid got in for a dollar, or free.....or other events where it cost either the burning of a dollar, or paying 4..........

9. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

Another HUGE difference between then and now that I would think had a huge impact on the scene is now everybody is trying to put a price on what was once viewed as artistic beauty that can't have a dollar figure attributed to it...its meant to be shared with all.........

Now John Q CEO has to add all sorts of fee's to a ticket price so his ungrateful prep school son can drive his mercedes..........

I've read stories of 60's concerts that require you either burn a dollar or pay 4..........now everybody is trying to capitalize off what used to be handed out freely

10. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

This is such a good point. Though, I don't think drugs are everything. I mean, call me radical, but I think we don't NEED drugs to do anything whether illeagle, or prescribed. We can change the world, start a revelution, bring peace through music - or what have you - without the aid of drugs. We don't need to alter anything but our thoughts and actions, and we don't NEED anything to do it! (Not that drugs don't help.)

I think what you said about music, tiki_god7, is where it's at. We need music that gives a damn! I mean, other than about getting paid and getting laid. There are VERY few bands/musicians who write about anything worth our time. Until that changes I don't see much changing.

Music is power!

11. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

I don't know...I find it personally hard to believe that a culture as materialistic, egocentric, and ethnocentric as our own will be able to open up, forget about themselves and experience the feeling that was so common in the 60's without the aid of some sort of psychotropic substance..........I know there are thousands of people capable of it but it seems as though they only get together at times of festivals or other tours or something of the sort.........but then I'm from the armpit of the midwest aka fargo northdakota/moorhead minnesota where people like that are a rare breed....

12. tiki_god7

tiki_god7 Member

I don't know whats up here but it doesn't seem as though my posts are posting...if it happens to work out both time i apologize for having two entries saying the same thing

It is hard for me to believe that people in todays culture are too materialistic, egocentric, and ethnocentric to really let go, forget about themselves and really experience the loving comradery(that was a huge key in the 60's revoluion) without the aid of some psychotropic substance.....of course there are gatherings and festivals where people assemble that just are that way but the number of them seems to minute to really show like it did........it seems as though the masses are catching on that 'the dirty hippies now how to party' so more and more 'yuppies' are gathering becuase they no they can get as drunk as they want and stoned as they want and do as much coke as they want or whatever.....without big brother breathing over there shoulding reminding them not to......

There is a local minnesota band that tours the midwest, awesome jam band, all about spreading positive vibes and just kicking back and having a good time....I saw them again a few months ago and the scene is becoming over run by frat boys because they can get drunk and party....the band noted that it was the first time they had ever had a mosh pit at one of there shows...I was as amaised as them......

13. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

"the government shipping us off to a unjust war.", "Racial bigotry","puritan sexual attitudes".... are you sure you're describing the 60's or the 2000's?
    I feel it coming... revolution can't be far off. I would be protesting, but i'm 15, and everyone knows kids have no rights. Can't wait to turn 18...

14. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

tiki_god7, you very well may be right, but I think a lot of those people won't except any drugs that their Dr.s didn't prescribe. Hmmmm.... Medical Marijuana to take the stick out of one's ass? Do you think it'll sell?

They are the same kind of people who didn't do drugs in the 60's.

15. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

oh, and DD, you are so right! No one takes people "under age" seriously! Al I wanted when I was a teenager was to grow up so people could take me seriously. To tell you the truth, it doesn't get all that much better, though!

You can make somewhat of a difference, though. Just keep on trying! Spread the love around, that's the most anyone can really do!

16. MarkN

MarkN Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

LSD was ILLEGAL where I lived in the late 60's. That was just in the early 60's when timothy leary & those guys in Cal. were messing with it. Kids started winding up in mental insatuitions, and emergency rooms so they pasted a law. Yeah it was easy to get but I never had it fall out of the sky in ballons! lol
    Acid is good for breaking barriers of close minded thinking. It opens your mind up to new ideas, and makes you an explorer of other social options. But it is not a tool of a "movement". Think about it. What was your greatest accoplishment on acid?? Yeah, me too. I mostly sat around in a dark room with a black light considering the amazing beuty of the "tracers" my cigarette made when I moved my hand. I think people had the idea that the 60's was one big acid trip. Like we did it daily or something. If that were the case, my typing now would look like this: ;lkjh aeoiuzd &^lkjh(*&^%:L?KJ.,kjhkjh. LSD is a good "recreational drug", but for me thats about it. So, if everybody did acid, you would just have a huge group of fucked up people for 8-10 hours. But I do agree everybody should try it once, maybe open a few doors and clear some cobwebs. But than again, its just my opion.;)

17. JosieJune

JosieJune Member

The magic of the '60's still lives within all of us hippies...just waiting to be expressed.
    It would be most helpful if the music industry adopted the hippie spirit again as world events have made it prime for a new hippie revolution...after all hippies do need their music!

Paz,
    Josie

18. Magical Mystery Girl

Magical Mystery Girl Member

Josie, you might want to listen to my band. We're doing exactly that. ;)

http://www.fluidrouge.com

19. JosieJune

JosieJune Member

Alo, Magical Mystery Girl! Thank you so much for sharing such beautiful music...i've been enjoying your music all morning now and could hardly wait to get back on here and let you know :)
    Wish you could have seen my children dancing! 'Little Boy' is such a special song and i've been singing along to my little boys.
    I'm new here...i've been kind of a lost hippie looking for a nice place to visit and i've found it. The site is so huge, i've been skipping around and was fortunate enough to see your pic earlier today in the members section...I thought to myself then what a beautiful human being and now i've crossed paths...:cool:
    Thanks again and I look forward to hearing more!
    I will happily pass it on!

~take care~

Paz,
    Josie

20. lover/young_peace

lover/young_peace Senior Member

there are a few reasons the 60s cannot happen again

1. rock & roll has died. Yep. once people my age die out rock & roll will be a thing of the past. This new so-called-metal will not cut it. the basic message in new "rock"-if we are calling it that- is HATE. ( i hate myself, my family, women, gays, blacks, the entire world.) they say things like "im goin to cut you up stupid **** just because i can" nobody knows what real music is like. Rock & roll is a natural drug. it makes you feel powerful when done properly, and gives you more courage and strength to make a change. Rock & Roll is the perfect sound for a revolution. Nowadays, the music has a feeling of every man for himself... damn it all to hell... who cares... etc. if this music does trigger a movement, it will not be a peaceful one.

2. drugs are now EVIL! yes i had to take DARE classes... and they're total bull. I have children in my schools thinking if you smoke one joint you will overdose & die. they really believe this. "come on," i explained,"it's easier to overdose on tylenol." guess what they said. "SHUT UP STUPID HIPPY." i would be happy to educate them because i do a lot of research, and have a fair amount of knowledge on drugs and drug related issues although i do not use (at least at my young age) what's worse... about a third of these kids do not know what acid is... ahhh... so the tolerance for drug use or any rebellion or behavior condemned by the authority is DANGEROUSLY LOW.

3. we have to do it our own way. I really cant properly explain this until i think it through some more... but i just have a feeling like my generation has to do it their own way. Maybe somebody can prove me right or wrong I just have this feeling that we cant copy the 60s.

4. hippydom is no longer tolerated. if you wear a shirt with a peace sign on the front you get death threats. i know from personal experience. rebellion is scorned by the young people as well as authority. they have all turned into conservative, brainwashed dronies happy to drop bombs on anyone who looks different

all we can do is try to spread love around. it may work in isolated areas but a widespread like the 60s movement is unlikely. maybe im not looking hard enough but i see no hope. this hellhole called suburbia is not reality. vibes are bad. i hope once im 18 i can travel the world & discover reality... but by then it may be too late. yes people the future looks grim. i wish i could live in the 60s... ive created a double-generation gap. i dont realate to those who lived in the 60s & were part of the movement because naturally they have more experience. that gap is unaviodable and natural. however i also cannot relate to my own generation (see numbers 1,2,4 above) . im a lost individual with so many theories but no plans for change.

in conclusion (and i apologize for length) if the world all goes to hell and it sucks even more than now (which is likely) i will take full blame. im not really responsible, but whatever, it might be fun.

good luck & peace to you all.