The Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Bethechange, Nov 9, 2004.

1. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

Hahhahaha! i started watching this on TV too, and then switched to the DVD to avoid the commercials and then ended up watching the Return of the King. Was a LOTR marathon at my house this weekend, as we decorated for the season! Man, I could just kiss Theoden right on the lips~! [​IMG]

2. sprout

sprout DeadHead

Yeah I hear a on that except...... Ya see once I start watching I can't stop watching but I'm not sure I agree with ya on kissing Theoden.

I love it but don't tolerate deveation from the story.

3. TARABELLE

Then you must hate the way they killed off Sauraman and changed the ending in regards to the Shire. I do.
    But, in regards to Theoden, man, the Rohan were valiant. I just love the lighting of the bonfires when Gondor calls for their aid.

4. I hate fantasy novels, and I don't like reading anything thats not relevant to my life, but the Lord of the Rings novels were so incredible and had a lot of depth and meaning. Absolute classic.

5. Scarlit Rose Flowz

Scarlit Rose Flowz Member

i just got done with the hobbit a while ago and didnt see what was so special about it really. it was bearable though and ill think ill give lotr a shot. one thing i did like though, was how he didnt fuck around... when he said the mirkwood i think it was called, was gonna be nothing but struggle and trouble, the mirkwood was absolutley full of it. and it was consistent pretty much through the whole story, a whole lotta trouble and danger. thats one part of the book i did grow on....

6. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

LOTR is a very different style than the Hobbit. The start of the Fellowship is a little slow for the first time you read LOTR, but once you get to Rivendell, the rest of LOTR is a good read.

7. TARABELLE

Well, then you must read the trilogy.[​IMG] Bilbo's trip was like a springtime walk compared to what Frodo and the rest had to endure.

8. Echo the Small

Echo the Small Member

I love the books and the world of middle earth so much that I found an elf....
    We are engaged!

9. sprout

sprout DeadHead

Yeah I did hate the Shire thing but all the battle scenes where really good. Lots of really strong emotion. Very good and very convincing. I know its been a while since I read the books but I don't recall the lighting on the bonfires. I thought they sent the Red Arrow.

10. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The bonfires were the way that Gondor alerted itself internaly. The red arrow was a message from Denethor to Theoden. The watchfires only went to the edge of Gondor's territory, after that point another method of communication was needed.

11. ~AmyLeeLoo~

~AmyLeeLoo~ Member

I loved those books..... i have no words.

12. LittleRu

LittleRu Member

I read those books first when i was about ten or nine. And strangely enough i read them, The Fellowship, The Hobbit, the Two Towers, The Fellowship, The Return of the King. And since then i have read them so many times. I was litirally obsessed with them for ages. Middle Earth was my world for ages. I miss the characters, i haven't read the books for ages! how awful. Me and my friend had so much fun when we were young (9, 10, 11) just being obsessed by them. And then ofcourse, we got obsessed by the films. Which i never thought were as good as the books, even though i absolutley LOVED the films. I thought the bookes had more magic. I love LOTR and JRRT. He was a genius.

13. oncetwicepass

oncetwicepass Member

its probably Manwe intervening at the last possible moment where hope seems lost... Manwe being the leader of the Valar (gods) and lord of eagles and birds n such.

14. oncetwicepass

oncetwicepass Member

i think the bonfires connected the 2 captol cities (minas tirith and edoras) and alerted each other of invasion and need of help. the red arrow was similar as it was used to call for aid between the allies.