the lockdown

Discussion in 'People' started by phil1965, Apr 16, 2020.

1. pattymary

pattymary Member

In any case, in any country, it is very hard to control people, therefore control the spreading of this virus, plus the statistics that are given to us are just official, in many cases they may not reflect the reality, a lot of people that carry the virus are not visible or accounted for.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  2. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

The point of the lockdowns was to curb exponential growth. We were barely able to maintain linear growth during most of the lockdown and the rates are just starting to curve to the right.

If you don't understand linear growth, and that lockdown measures have prevented 100's of thousands if not millions more deaths, then I just don't have any more words left to convey the level of ignorance and idiocy..... ..... ..... ....

Anyway, the hope was to get the growth factor below 1 (one infected person spreads the disease to less than one other person). Below 1 and COVID 19 eventually disappears, 1 or more and it never fucking goes away. That's pretty simple to understand right?

Well forget about it, IT'S NEVER GOING AWAY because there is FAR FAR FAR too many FUCKING IDIOTS on this planet.

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

That was the idea behind the lockdown. The problem is that it didn’t work. People living in apartments often breath recirculated air from their neighbors. Which is why urban New York City was hit so hard. Turns out they would’ve been better off going out and getting fresh air.

Flatten the curve, does NOT mean flatten civilization. Yet that’s what’s happening

Sagewynd and mysticblu21 like this.
  4. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Is this speculation, or did they find it somewhere?

Kick Frenzy likes this.
  5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I've never been in an apartment building that circulated air between units. That would be nasty. I've been in some pretty stinky hallways though. But holy shit, I can't imagine having your neighbors cabbage dinners and smoke and cat piss piped in to your home! Fuck!!

I think the better apartment buildings have slightly negative air pressure in the hallways. So you do get some apartment air sucked into the hall but not pushed into other apartments.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Kick Frenzy likes this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

All that really just happened is countries patting themselves on the back now for containing the virus have set themselves up for a bigger failure in the near future

Edging 6 million cases, if you go by antibody tests, 20 times that at one stage infected; 100 million people

If the virus lays dormant in cells, which, why wouldn't it? When the immune system of those people gets lowered, bam, we are off again

Only next time, we have 100 million starting points, instead of just 20 from that one cruise ship

What will really probably happen though is 2021 there will be at least 100,000 Covid deaths but by then no one will give a shit and it will barely make the news

7. soulcompromise

Finally... An article turned up that actually says what you were saying about air conditioning.

The article, which I will link to, says this:
    Risk Of Catching Coronavirus Inside Vs. Outside

8. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

that's been well known for ages, it was a big factor in the spread of Legionairres disease some years ago, I think a lot of these people think the public are stupid, they tell you one thing one day and the exact opposite several days later, it's all getting farcical now.

pattymary likes this.
  9. soulcompromise

I had no idea...

I actually thought when @6-eyed shaman mentioned this that he was speculating without checking. It's important to me that we be accurate. And I don't think that the lockdown is pointless, or that we've overreacted just because the placement of an air conditioning unit in a restaurant lent itself to the spread of a virus; though if unit-placement is infecting people in apartments something must be done.

I think our response was slow to react initially, but that we did an ok job of trying to quarantine the virus by issuing shelter-in-place and closing businesses to the public. I also imagine the spread would be far worse had we done nothing.

Can you imagine how many more cases and even deaths there would be had we not locked down?

pattymary likes this.
  10. pattymary

pattymary Member

Yes, but what about the consequences of the lockdown, after some weeks are they going to become worst than the lockdown itself, this is a real dilemna..

soulcompromise likes this.
  11. soulcompromise

My thinking on this is we have resources to deal with the consequences of the lockdown, and they don't fit with a conservative agenda. As a result, the resources will not be acquired (e.g. debt) and measures will not be employed, thus reopening the economy and coronavirus resurfacing.

Let's hope I'm wrong. :)

12. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

13. soulcompromise

I think that's totally avoidable illness, @phil1965. If the air conditioner can prevent infections they should continue using it. And I'm sure they will, especially with this in the news.

14. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

they just don't care, and sadly a lot of people who make the rules have no understanding of how these sysems work, it's like the thing about allowing flights but not having people sitting next to each other, it makes no difference, the air is recirculated, simply put if someone farts at the back of the plane then eventually you'll smell it at the front.
    The mask thing makes me laugh too, for a mask to give you any protection against the virus it has to be to FP3, which gives a degree of biological protection, those things people are making, or buying online, the paper type won't work, all they are good for is stopping you sneezing on others, it won't stop the virus in any way. If you ask me it's just a pathetic attempt to cover up the failings by the government, if somone you consider knowledgeable tells you something you assume it must be true, they are the experts, well a lot of it is lies. If there was a nuclear radiation leak and I said I was a nuclear expert and wearing a pair of foil lined ladies knickers on your head would protect you from the radiation, there'd be loads of people going around wearing them. The experts make things up and give incorrect advice simply because a person feels better doing something rather than nothing, personally I prefer honesty, if you get it wrong then admit it, if you don't know something admit it, I was asked by my employer to go to live in London for 3 months at the begining of the outbreak, the work was non essential so in line with government advice I refused to go, so I lost my job, I'm £10,000 down in earnings and givrn the performance of this government I wished I had gone now. I had Covid 19 last year, as did my wife, it was horrible, we didn't get over it in a week like our glorious leader Boris Johnson, and why, because he never had it in the first place!
    I've seen inside a good many intensive care units and you very rarely see anyone who's conscious, let alone watching tv, reading books and issuing instructions to the government, it's all been a farce, lies, lies and more lies, and we the British public fell for it!

Sagewynd likes this.
  15. soulcompromise

I think the paper masks are supposed to stop sneezes and spit particles.

16. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

Yeah, exactly, but they won't actually stop the virus, if I had covid, was wearing a mask and sneezed on you there's still quite a good chance you'd catch it., it's all about conning people into thinking they are safe. lol

Sagewynd likes this.
  17. soulcompromise

Your such a pessimist! :laughing:

While what you're saying is absolutely true, the mask significantly blocks the sneeze.:innocent:

18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Like what? Even if nothing had ever closed the economy would be ruined. And the only argument I have heard is that the lock down has screwed small business. People still would not go out, everyone would be calling in sick, mass lay offs mean people still can't buy anything.

People are just mad they have to bend the knee to the government. It's offensive to those on the right wing that they are not the rugged cowboy they thought they were. They need Walmart and it's closed.

pattymary likes this.
  19. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

I, mnot a pessimist, lol, I have just done a lot of training in stuff such as hazardous environment work, ok so I was trying to be nice, but you pushed it, lol. while the mask won't actually protect you from the covid virus if someone sneezes on you, if they are wearing a mask at least it will prevent you being covered in snot!, see what happens, now you'll spend all night being haunted by visions of someone sneezing snot all over you. lol, never mind, go and have a nice cold beer, it won't protect you from the virus either, but it will make you feel happier.

pattymary and soulcompromise like this.
  20. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

I take it you're in the USA then, here in the UK we've a lot of people who are saying they don't feel safe going back to work, or sending their kids back to school but they felt safe enough to go to the diy stores to buy stuff for their gardens. You don't think this hot weather has anything to do with their reluctance to go back do you, extended paid holiday and all that. lol

pattymary likes this.