The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Movies' started by headymoechick, Jan 6, 2005.

1. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

Oh god...

I took a class last semester entitled "C.S. Lewis"...and even the THOUGHT of watching anything related to fucking Narnia...makes me want to cry...lol. I'm not saying the books were bad, but they were forced down my throat along with the supposed "christian" reading of them...and I can't take anymore C.S. Lewis now...

And, yeah...there already exist the Narnia movies. I'm not expecting much from these new versions. Then again...I'm not expecting much to see 'em either...lol.

2. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I think the new movie(s) will just hit the reset button in todays childrens minds ...'oh how lovely' .. they will parrot like the last generation.. thus making the future generation completly miss the somewhat christian fundementalist point of view the books might hold ... I do think TLTWATW is quite good , if i don't want to read to much into it.. but that was not the point of C.S.Lewis writing them and so maybe the undertones should be explored more widely.. if the film(s) miss this out ... whats the point of them then ?.

3. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Admittedly it's been some time since I read these books, but whilst I cleary remember the christian subtext, I don't have any recollection of them being fundamentalist?

4. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

hahahaha ok.. point taken.. just its not all sweet and innocent is it ???.

I apologise too all the fundemenatlists out there.

5. ~Salli~

~Salli~ Member

ok, forgive me it has been ages since i have seen the movies, and i have never read the book, we are talking about the movie with the english kids that go thru the door in the back of the wardrobe into the other dimension? in narnia all i remember is snow, wierd animals, and a mean snow queen they were hiding from..
    this is the same book/movie you guys are talking about correct?

if so can someone give me a quick synopsis of what the christian message is, i never heard this before, it sounds cool (i am a new christian) and would like to get what the symbolism is.
    thanks!
    :)

6. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

http://www.christianfantasy.net/cslewis.html

http://www.talkaboutabook.com/group/alt.books.inklings/messages/3367.html

Philip pullman wrote 'his dark materials' http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/

I hope this helps a little.. still trying to work it out myself to be honest ???

7. hiro

hiro pursue it

God I feel like a loser I never read the books but owned them. My brother had the books on tape :D

8. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

It is probably unwise to bring God into it :p

9. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

In the most basic terms...Aslan is a symbol for christ. There are many parallels between the bible stories and in certain events that happen in the Narnia series. For instance, Aslan being killed as jesus was killed...and then rising. Or...the temptation of eve is likened to the temptation of digory. Another would be Aslan creating Narnia with song, as god supposedly created the world in 7 days, etc. There's a ton more. You just have to read the books through christian eyes if you feel like it. And yeah, there's a shitload of stuff online about it I'm sure you can find. C.S. Lewis didn't write his series as a way to teach christianity, but it certainly came out that way. Frankly, I'm sick of the series...but maybe one day I'll enjoy it again.

10. ~Salli~

~Salli~ Member

thanks, i had no idea, those websites and the posted info is cool
    thanks for the help
    :)

11. SillyLidlSkull

SillyLidlSkull Member

HEY THERE,
    it sounds like this book it's kinda of what i 'd like to read do!
    ..WELL AT LIST FROM HIS TITLE PRETTY WICKED !!!
    can YOU LET ME KNOW WHO THE AUTHOR IS PLIZZZZ?

CIAOOOOOO!

12. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

read the other posts ;)

or, ok be lazy http://cslewis.drzeus.net/ :p

13. DoktorAtomik

See, that's what I was thinking, but I decided to practice tact and diplomacy :p

14. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Whats that ?? i have never heard of that before ;)

15. DoktorAtomik

I'm not entirely sure. I think it's got something to do with lying and not telling someone what you really think of them.

16. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I don't lie :confused: .. in all honesty i have more tact and diplomacy than is healthy for me...