The Levellers

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Ellis, May 27, 2004.

1. Ellis

Ellis Member

Okay, I posted this thread first in the music forum. The two people who responded to it said that almost all of the people in the UK forum love them.
    So, I'm really getting addicted to there music. I heard the song 'One Way' on the radio about a week ago. And it was just...WOW. I also like 'The Road', The Levellers got some pretty damn good music. Be sure the next time when I walk into a record store, I'll be walking out with a CD of The Levellers!:)

2. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

heya! glad you came accross PP is your man pretty much, the levellers are faab tho!

3. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Who or what are The Levellers?
    I mean, you lot are talking about them all the time and I have no idea what's it like...
    Should I d/l some of their music? :)
    Love,
    Borut

4. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

Anarchist political folk rock!

5. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

If Bruce springsteen didnt exist i would say the Levellers were the best live band in the world :D

6. Alomiakoda

Alomiakoda Boniface McSporran

*rolls eyes*

7. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Ahh, the Levellers, they're my favourite band in the world! Absolutely brilliant, I love them! Have seen them on tour loads. Look out for "Levelling the Land" it's by far their best album, though all of them are brilliant. They tour Europe about once a year, and usually play a date or two in Belgium, check out their website www.levellers.co.uk to find out about their tour dates. If you can download some of their songs, try "Sell Out" "Another Man's Cause" "The Boatman" and "Riverflow" some of my favourite songs of theirs....

8. Peace-Phoenix

You mean to say then, that Bruce Springsteen doesn't exist?

9. Alomiakoda

We can only hope

10. kier

kier I R Baboon

oh dear

on a more possitive note, the levellers are an irish folk/rock band, with very good views :)

11. Alomiakoda

I thought they were from Brighton :S

12. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

i have to yet again defend springsteen from the wrath of hipforums critics

fortunately enough for me, bruce springsteen does exist and is widely knows as the greatest live act in the world today:D

the levellers are one of my favourite bands but just cant compare to springsteen, live...ive seen both and bruce wins hands down....levellers come an easy second though:p

13. Alomiakoda

You and Power_13 both thinking that doesn't make it widely known :p

14. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

AGH the levellers are from Brighton...and they are an English folk rock band...hence the name the Levellers who were part of Oliver Cromwells army if i remember right...or was that New Model Army? i cant remember :S but they are definately english....tho i think Jeremy the bassist may have been born in Ireland

15. Alomiakoda

Oh god...

This is gonna turn into a contest between Rich and Sal to prove who knows more about the Levellers :p

16. Peace-Phoenix

They're from Brighton. The New Model Army was Cromwell's highly trained army fighting in the English Civil War. The original Levellers were a group of Irish people, standing for freedom of speech and religion who were conscripted into the New Model Army to fight against the King. After the Civil War, Cromwell turned on them, and had a number of them executed for calling for freedoms of speech. Both New Model Army and the Levellers are now modern day folk punk bands too!

17. kier

kier I R Baboon

ever feel like you want the ground to swallow (sp?) you up? :eek:

i havent got any of their music, the only time i saw an album of theirs it had a gaelic design, i listened to a track and it sounded kinda irishy....went back to buy it and it was sold :(

crumbs

18. Alomiakoda

I think that's one all so far :p

19. Alomiakoda

Hehehe don't worry...I thought they were Irish to start with :p

I only started liking them because a certain forumer asked me to a Levellers gig and I'd kinda already told him I liked them (damn you Ellie)

20. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

the fact that everytime someone hears the levellers they call them irish just goes to show how ignorant or uninformed people are about english folk music...theres quite a difference, i hardly think people are going to start doing Riverdance to levellers songs...but then again the levellers have a didgerydoo player in the band!! so theres a bit of Australian folk for you :p

and wasn't Oliver Cromwell a bastard to the Irish:p