The Knife 'Shaking The Habitual' Listening Party & Vinyl Giveaway

Discussion in 'Alternative and Indie Music' started by Erasurehead, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Erasurehead

Erasurehead Guest

2. offset

offset Senior Member

Hmmmmmm, it just won't get under my skin:)

3. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

oh man, this is really bad

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

the butter knife dropped on the floor and its full of dog hair.. :puke:

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I am not sure what to make of this album just yet. I have been listening to it pretty much non-stop the last few days. It's a pretty big departure from Silent Shout, and the material on here is much less immediate and even impenetrable at times. It is less a synth pop album (in fact, 95% of the album is not even remotely pop), and more of an experimental electronic album with a large bent towards tech house, glitch, and dark ambient, with a lot of long, eerie sound collages in between that sound more like Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Swans than they do the Knife.

I think this is a rather daring album that has the potential to grow on you given time and repeat listens, but is sure to be a let-down to anyone hoping for more of what they heard on their previous albums. One track on here, which I just love, which sort of harks back to the last album and the material heard on the Fever Ray album, is the track titled 'Raging Lung' -- by far my favorite track on Shaking the Habitual so far. Unfortunately, it's unavailable to be listened to on YouTube from within the US.

Even if you don't like this album, you've got to give them credit for staying true to their weirdness and putting out an album that is challenging, different, and true to its title.

6. Pressed_Rat

7. Pressed_Rat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaking_the_Habitual

8. radioethiopia

radioethiopia Member

Well...I like it better than the other one.

Surprised to see pitchfork agreeing with me yet again this year!! pitch and I haven't been jerking each other off like this since Amon Tobin's heyday!

9. radioethiopia

radioethiopia Member

Also, is "hopelessly overthought" supposed to be insulting? I would love to hear that criticism!