The Kick Box - On Hip!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Kick Frenzy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

At third state brewery and I do my normal flight and ask for a growler fill. The guy talks me into a 4 pack but being I collect growlers I also take an empty growler...so now I am driving home with an empty growler, so what to do? I Google growler fill stations. Delaware growler fill comes up and it's not too far out of the way so I go.. I expected a few taps with some good and some local beers. WRONG!! Best fucking beer store I have been in ever. About 40 beers on tap including CBS and KBS. All beers are available in singles. And while it's heavy in locals there is plenty of stuff I haven't seen in years or ever.

Kick Frenzy likes this.
  2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

3. hotwater

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

PR. You praised magnify and they were a disappointment, don't get me wrong they were good.. specially the saison which I normally hate. But I still have 3 to go.. I was able to get every one they had today either there or to go.
    Edit; to be fair that strawberry beer I got in the growler was unbelievable. Unfortunately they didn't have it today.

5. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Hey bitchez!!
    I'm back again!
    (I was too sick last week to imbibe, but all better now.)

I'mma play catch up on the past page or two while I finish my first beer.
    Speaking of...

Beer #1:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 6.5%)
    (Dogfish Head - Dragons & YumYums)

Smell: Fruit on a cracker. Sweet and tart. All the fruity flavors on the label (dragonberry, yum yum berry, passionfruit, and pear juice) do a subtle dance, with a faint hint of black carrot juice informing the edges of the profile.

Taste: Tangy and bright, sweet and sour fruit. Slightly bitter back end provides a dry balance. Hidden black carrot and cracker notes round out the profile.

Overall, this is a fairly tasty brew. A bit confusing, as it has sweet, tart, and dry notes. I could easily see drinking it at a Flaming Lips concert though!

And a related pic that makes me wish I'd been there (hoping the nudity is ok due to compsoition)...

[​IMG]

6. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Pretty sure that fits right in with drinking!
    Seriously, I would scarf the hell outta that shit when I'm drunk!!!

Orison likes this.
  7. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Well, that didn't take long to catch up!
    Also...

Orison, that Delaware fill station sounds boss.
    I doubt I'd ever make it there, but it seems like it could be worth the trip!

8. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Moving right along...

Beer #2:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 6.8%)
    (Cypress Brewing - ZABE)

Smell: Pineapple and citrus pith shine forward. Faint biscuit backbone. Dry hay in the distance.

Taste: Slightly creamy mouthfeel bears out pineapple and citrus pith (and coconut?). Earthy, hay forward hops. Faint biscuit backbone.

Overall, this is really nice. I mean, just slow and easy to drink. It's thicker and deeper than most IPAs and while the name is inspired by zero bitterness (0 IBU - Zero Aye Bee Ewe), there's still a hint of it trying to break through. Good for about 1/3 of the way into a summer night party.

(No idea what to do for a pic on this... so I'm not. [​IMG])

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Did orison also mention a Delaware fill station?

Orison likes this.
  10. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

No, I'm just dumb sometimes.
    That's what I get for waiting 2 1/2 weeks to get my drink on!
    #derp
    (Sorry 'bout that)

Orison likes this.
  11. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

And here we are.
    I've had my first two and they're making their presence known.
    About to hit up number three and that's when I'll be gone.

Ready?
    I am.
    (maybe)

Beer #3:
    (Couldn't find a pic with beer glass in it.)
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 11.4%)
    (Ship Bottom - Pleasure Island)

Smell: Stone fruit and faint raisin. Biscuit spine. Distant citrus notes. Hints of melon offer a Gaussian blur.

Taste: Melon and stone fruit, tempered with bitter raisins. Grounded in a biscuit spine. Sustained citrus notes in the mid-ground.

Overall, an interesting brew for sure. There's a complexity that starts with melon, flows through dry and somewhat bitter middleground, then dips back into melon for moment, before fading into pithy bitter notes.

And, of course, this one gets a pic...
    [​IMG]

12. hotwater

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Was at common sense brewing and was sampling. Had the porter and the brewer asked what I though. I said it's good. Probly my growler but I didn't sample the ipa's yet. One was an imperial at 8.5%. He made a comment that he would give me $20 if I could finish that one.(implying that it was a good idea to stick with the porter) and be back the next day.
    I didn't want to show off my tolerance and it wasn't worth the gas money to take him up on whatever offer he was getting at. But all I could think of was the scene in revenge of the Sith when pre black mask Vader says "you underestimate my power"
    And thought of the 10% growlers I have finished in a day.

Kick Frenzy likes this.
  14. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I had this recently and can't stop thinking about how good it was:

[​IMG]

And how I'll probably never get to enjoy it again. Booooo.

Kick Frenzy likes this.
  15. deleted

deleted Visitor

Golden Monkey

16. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Hello.
    Hello again.

Now that we've had that music break, how's about I move on to drinking beer?
    Yeah?

yeah

Beer #1:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 7.5%)
    (Bolero Snort - One Hoof in Front of the Other)

Smell: Sweet citrus, melon and a hint of pith. An easy going biscuit body, with a hint of black pepper. Slight bitter streak throughout.

Taste: Softly bitter pith leads the way for hints of melon, pineapple, and orange. An easy biscuit and faint hay body ends with a touch of peppery heat.

Overall, I think this is more bitter than it should be, as I didn't let this chill for very long. That being said, it's not a bad IPA. It has a creamy, thick body with a distant twang on the back end. Fairly high in juiciness. Could drink again.

pensfan13 and Orison like this.
  17. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Oh shit, lost count.
    I'm actually on my third beer, but apparently forgot to post my 2nd one.
    Yipes!

Ok... so...
    Beer #2:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc.7.8%)
    (Evil Twin - The Soup Superior IPA)

Smells: Pomegranate steps forward, with citrus notes following. Creamy, milk IPA body on a cracker. Vanilla underpinning with distant pith lining.

Tastes: Lactose and hay open the door for pithy citrus and slight pomegranate notes. A thin vein of vanilla flows under the cracker body.

Overall, this is a weird concoction. Made with "oat and lactose with vanilla and pomegranate"... it feels like this IPA doesn't even know what it wants to be. Seems like it would be good in the second winds of the sunrise hours... after being up all night.

18. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Obviously, as I said, I'm currently on my 3rd beer.
    Without further ado...

Beer #3:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 8%)
    (Foolproof - The Depths)

Smellin: Very faint. Resiny hops on cracker/biscuit body. And a hint of pepper?

Tastin: Softly resinous hops presented on a faint cracker/biscuit body. Citrus pith bite, lightly spiced with black pepper, defines the edges.

Overall, this is a pleasant brew with a strong, yet soft, profile. A somewhat thick body presents this darker tasting IPA, rounding out the somewhat bitter edges.

And a pic for the last beer:
    [​IMG]

19. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I might have never thought about this one but you made me pick it up the next time I see it.

Kick Frenzy likes this.
  20. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Effing awesome!

[​IMG]

Kick Frenzy likes this.