The Kick Box - On Hip!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Kick Frenzy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I've had their Fat Tire, but that's it. I love anything Belgian.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

They're based out of Colorado. They do make a few Belgian-style beers, but New Belgium is really just a name.

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Second beer of the night...New Belgium's trippel.

Now, I bought this variety pack from NB and was very unsure because I usually don't like trippels. At all. And I was fairly certain I wouldn't like the sour (and I didn't.). Whole thing was a gamble.

But the trippel has paid off! I am very pleased with this beer. It has an almost spicy after taste, like black pepper. Also has a nice balance of dry and sweet. Most trippels I've had are too sweet and pack too much alcohol--the beer equivalent of mixing too much cheap vodka with, I don't know, Gatorade or something.

But this is a damn fine trippel. I am pleasantly surprised.

Kick Frenzy likes this.
  4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Have a spellbound it's not yours it's MAYAN
    Third anniversary imperial stout.
    Amazing beer. Made similar to the chipotle stout I just had from volunteer. But this is a bit bigger but no alcohol taste. The pepper taste isn't that strong but strong enough to enjoy it's flavor. Its on the dry side with very slight bitterness.

5. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

So after my trip this weekend I have been to every brewery on the delmarva peninsula.
    Just in time for a new one to open up this coming weekend. Then another on st. Pattys day. And the one in town is hoping to open the end of February. It will be interesting to see when the bubble bursts. Or reaches its capacity.

6. Noserider

There is a beer and taco fest going on around my birthday. 100 craft brews on tap, plus street tacos, and Pennywise and The Offspring.

Thinking of going, but I don't know. Dana Point might as well be the south side of Everest. Plus, 55 bucks a ticket to get in, and then, after paying over half a c-note, the beer and tacos still cost--which to me is the equivalent of paying admission to a shopping mall just to drop a few hundred bucks while inside.

On the other hand, Offspring and 100 craft brews...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Kick Frenzy likes this.
  7. deleted

deleted Visitor

debating whether to drink these blackout stouts.

8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Anyone here ever had singlecuts heavy boots? Was just at the store and that' the only one that I would have bought. I have enough at home for over a week though so I skipped for now.

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Stopped at midnight oil on the way home. As I mentioned above I have been to every one here then this one opened last Friday. I would have gone last week but I was up in nj. This place is on a giant industrial area. Lots of businesses all around. And no bars. So really it's no surprise that they are busy. But damn, they had 2 beers on tap and weren't giving anything to go. A porter that was average for the style. And a saison that was one of my favorites (to be fair I rarely like any saisons) I asked why they had so few. They opened with 6 last week and sold out. They are trying to keep six on tap but that won't happen if they stay this busy. I would say it will die off when the newness gets old but being that there are hundreds or thousands of people nearby getting off of work, they can legit stay busy for a while. This place may have struck the lottery of location location location. I am gonna keep an eye on current beers on tap and hope to go back when I can get a flight .

Kick Frenzy likes this.
  10. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Well, motherfuckin shitballs and shit... I thought I was only gone for two weeks, not THREE!!!
    That's just a shame... on the other hand, life has been pretty crazy, so it makes sense.
    But still...

I have a couple pages to catch up on after I post this, so let me just get right to it as I'm starting this a little late.

Beer #1:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 7.4%)
    (Cypress Brewing - 17 Mile)

Smell: Juicy fruit bubble gum immediately greets me, holding hands with sweet citrus notes of orange and pineapple. A bitter whisper of hops is hanging out somewhere in the background. A bit of bready cracker rounds out the bottom.

Taste: Citrus, juicy hops try to take the lead, but slightly pine-ish, bitter(ish) hops pull ahead strong. Cracker rounds out the back end.

Overall, a fairly nice brew. It smelled wonderful out of the can and had a BIG, fluffy head. Full body of flavor that grows towards earthy, bitter-ish hops after a sweeter, citrusy opening.

(No time for finding a hottie somewhere along the 17 mile drive in Cali, so imagine there's one here instead. [​IMG])

11. Noserider

I haven't had beer in like three weeks

12. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

I'm a couple weeks late to this... but that's pretty fuckin awesome, right there!

13. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Oh hells yeah.
    A nice glaze for salmon or pork chops could be absolutely wonderful!!

*drool*

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  14. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

I gotta keep that in mind if I ever open a brewery with beers on tap at location.
    Granted, I doubt that will ever happen... but ya never know!
    :D

15. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Alrighty, so... I'm almost done with my second brew of the night.
    Just truckin right along! :)

Here she is, beer #2:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 6.8%)
    (Shebeen - Black Hop IPA)

Smells: Very subdued, possibly smooth. Toasty ale, favoring the malt side, with almost no smell.

Tastes: Black coffee and dark chocolate notes on a biscuit foundation. With a slight twang near the back end.

Overall, this is a decent Black IPA. Not really a stand-out, except for the stout-esque flavor. I wouldn't kick it out of bed, but just a bit "meh".

(Again, I'm giving up on a pic. Sorry, but I'd rather hang out and shit instead of spending all my time looking for a fitting gif, y'know?)

16. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

I'm finally making my way through the third beer of the night.
    Yay, me!

Beer #3:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 9.5%)
    (Platform - Esther)

Smelin: Slightly sweet winter holiday spices rise up from a bready base. Somewhat metallic tingle in the air (possibly because it was poured from a can). Faint bittersweet chocolate and a touch of coffee.

Tastin: Wet firewood joins with holiday spice. A subtle biscuit backbone joins the faintly metallic foundation. Darkly soothing.

Overall, a pleasant, if slightly metallic, brew. As mentioned above, the can it came in may have something to do with that, so if you want this, get a bottle or from a tap if available. But overall, it's a pleasant draw.. with metallic notes subsiding as I continue deeper into the glass.

And again, I didn't find a fitting pic within a minute or so and I don't feel like expending a fuckton of time doing it, so... no picture.
    (But if anyone wants to post a suggestion, be my guest!)

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Stopped by the local beer store that always has good sales. They had a few 6packs left.
    $4. New Belgium Citradelic 6pack
    And $4. Dominion grapefruit ipa 6pack.
    Got 2 of each. Left one dominion behind.
    Maybe I will go back before I head back to nj and see if it' still there.

18. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Hey everyone!
    I'm not really here tonight... just dropping by to post this one beer review.
    (I just wanted my Mardi Gras badge on Untappd.)

Anywayz...

The beer:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 6.5%)
    (Abita - Mardi Gras Bock)

Smell: Faint spices wander up with honey, skipping on a sweet malty path. A bit of a bready backbone mingles with a hint of straw soul.

Taste: Slightly bready presentation, comes forward holding hands with spices. A honey and straw soul happily follows along.

Overall, this is a pretty pleasant brew. It seems to want to be a little funky, but stays on the sweeter side of the street... without being a brute about it. I could see this being a good brew to sip during the day, before really getting your drink on a Fat Tuesday night.

And, of course, this one has a fitting pic to go with it! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Noserider

I have yet to have a bock I like. They seem to have a faint wet dog odor.

20. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Finally joined untappd.
    Name is sharo2113.
    I know PR you told me to add you but that was a long time ago and I'm not going through countless pages to find it.

Kick Frenzy likes this.