The Kick Box - On Hip!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Kick Frenzy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

At jersey girl brewery
    Had their beet brewed beer.
    I'm not a fan of beets but this is as good as it could be done. It has the taste of the beets but not the sweet taste of the juice.
    Their west coast ipa is good.
    The Belgian trippel is up there with my favorites of the style.
    The breakfast stout is on the light side...light side for a breakfast stout...extremely light considering its 10%.

2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

At angry Erik's brewery which is a hop from the venue....oh yeah I am going to see howard jones tonight.
    4 more samples
    Drinking the amber alert. Mixture of Carmel and fruity flavors...very well done.6.8%
    Next is the hoparoo (hoppy heide) the description is pretty much an ipa but they don't call it one.
    More earthy hops than I prefer but the melon fruity taste instead of the usual citrus fruity taste makes up for it. 6.6%
    Next is the brown ipa. Fruity hops with roasted malts in the description....I don't taste much roasted malt. But it has a nice light malty taste. Definitely the most complex beer of the night. It has a bitter finish with the citrus taste up front. Also the most sippable beer tonight and at 6.6% it is tied for the lowest abv behind only the beet beer. Might have to get a growler of this just so I don't guzzle it all tomorrow.
    Last but not least is the pumpkin.
    Smell was light but what I did get was awesome. Blindfolded I wouldn't have guessed pumpkin but it has a nice cinnamon taste. It's on the light side for a pumpkin beer as far as taste goes. Color is similar to a porter. But it reminds me of guinness how it's dark but very drinkable. However this has so many more flavors than something as simple as guinness.

Beer is done....going to ask for a growler of the pumpkin. Let's see if anything changes on the way to the bar to order it....

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I havent come across anything from Oskar Blues I haven't liked but I haven't come across a coffee beer I do like.

4. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I just had a can of Slap Fight IPA (Monday Night Brewing). Ok folks, what the HELL is up with people who think grapefruit is actually "good" in beer?!?!?!?

What helps, of course, is, The Kills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=498zUzNGQxY&list=PLJhKEt4Hct7W1d3JQDVKeSsKocTCUOWxQ

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Does it actually have grapefruit in it, or is it from the hops? Many IPAs have a grapefruit flavor from the hops that are used -- not because they actually contain grapefruit... though some do.

6. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I really like grapefruit in beer. So booooo you.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This makes me think of going to a bar with my friend and her dad, at one point in the evening he said, "all this shit tastes like grapefruit, doesn't this bar have any PBR?"

Dads are the best

1 person likes this.
  8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Local beer store has had a bunch of beers in the $1. Fridge that I never had before lately.

Things have been chaotic here lately though so haven't had a chance to mention any of them.
    Have an empty can of big muddy's galaxy x. In front of me.
    It was a good double ipa. I have noticed that it is rare to find a really different ipa lately though. I try them almost every time I get a flight or mix six and it's less than 10% of the time I think "damn that's different"

Anyway I am drinking a Baxter stowaway ipa.
    Being that I paid a buck for it I will consider it one of the best bargain beers I have ever had. It reminds me very much of a sculpin which usually run $13. Minimum for a sixer.

9. GeorgeJetStoned

It was more than a hint and my son, Leroy has been buying some kind of beer that boasts about it's grapefruit content and this slappy stuff tasted almost exactly like it. I think I'll stick to my VooDoo IPA.

10. GeorgeJetStoned

Yea? Try a Samichlaus and let me know.

11. Noserider

I've had an occasional grapefruit beer. Not bad. But I prefer pineapple

12. Pressed_Rat

That was a great beer back in the day. Still is a great beer, and a classic German Doppelbock. Sweet and so smooth. And very easy to get smashed on. Haven't had one in probably 12 years at least with all the stuff that's emerging. I do intend to revisit the classics one of these days.

13. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Got a couple pages to catch up on.
    Just finished Page 304, where PR reviewed Pilot Batch Dark Chocolate Scotch Ale from Genesee and HAWT DAMN does that shit sound super tasty!

Anyway, I'm also drinking tonight.
    (Obviously, since I'm here posting, lol.)

So let's do this.

Beer 1:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 13%)
    (Stillwater - On Fleek)

Smell: Smoky, slightly sweet, malt rises smooth. Possible clove/banana meandering in the background. A ghost of bitter hops whispers around the edges.

Taste: Smoky coffee borne up on a bready body. Sweet edges sneak alongside a slightly metallic twang. A bit of tobacco throughout, holding hands with what could be a hint of banana/clove.

Overall, except for the metallic twang, it's a great stout! Very drinkable, without smacking you around with it's big 13%. I'm lovin this one.

And for a related pic....
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  14. Noserider

Oh shit!

I just realized Kick Frenzy also put a beer review in his above post.

2 people like this.
  15. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Speaking of beer reviews... I'm on to beer #2!

The beer:
    [​IMG]
    (Alc. 11.3%)
    (Weyerbacher - Sunday Mole Stout)

Smells: Chocolaty malt with a bit of smoke, quickly followed by pepper heat. Cinnamon intertwined, soft at first then strengthens towards the end.

Tastes: Sweet malt. Smoky chocolate. Slight pepper heat and cinnamon striding along together, hanging back for bigger impression towards the back end.

Overall, it's not a bad brew. A touch sweet and not sure about the heat. Getting a bit of raisin sweetness in there now. Not my favorite, but not terribad either.

(No pic this time, but as always... y'all can feel free to post one for me!)

1 person likes this.
  16. Pressed_Rat

Those two above beers are both really good.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I had Palmetto Ghost Rider by Palmetto Brewing Company last night. Brewed with ghost peppers. I dont think I'm a huge fan of pepper infused beers

I also had a good imperial stout but now I cant remember the brewery

18. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

yeah, but what about the pretty lady with a stupid tattoo and overly done eyebrows

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Duh! Who in their right mind does prefer peppers in their beer? :p

It's like loving a certain kind of yoghurt because they mixed banana flavor through it. Sure it can be tasty, but its not the yoghurt. It's like preferring a coffee machiato (sp) over a cup of coffee because of the milk.

20. Pressed_Rat

She's pretty hot. Not sure about the eyebrows, though.