The Improbability of God

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Amanda N, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

It is far more sad that people turn to lies for meaning rather than embrace the truth. Like Twain said (even though it isn't his true name) "The history of our race, and each individual's experience, are sown thick with evidence that a truth is not hard to kill and that a lie told well is immortal."

Brutal Honesty is not wrong in the face of collosal ignorance, for the ignorant can always defend their ignorance with an even deeper ignorance of truth. What do I take away from someone if I expose their beliefs to be nothing more than lies? If someone's entire life is based upon lies told to them, do you think they will change their mind because of one person telling the truth, when they already surround themselves with a "congregation" of like minded liars?

Here is a parable for you: "People do not hide their bodies from the light because they are beautiful, they hide them because they are ugly. If beliefs can stand up to the light of truth and remain beautiful, than keep them. If your beliefs are shaken by the truth, than trade them in for something better."

2. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I did not say ALL people. For many people, these medications do not work. In fact, studies have found that anti depressants increased the percentage for patients who commit suicide. It was a big issue report that came out. I am sure you have heard about it.

For one, any faith that tells you that you have to suffer for the greater good is complete crap. For two, I can see that you have not had very many experiences with people who have lived a hard life. Career criminals and street thugs are not ampt to sit around and believe that if they have faith, something good will happen to them. They have been exposed to hard situations in which they had to fend for themselves. We are speaking about people who know absolutely nothing about a free hand out. These are the types of people who are receiving remarkable healing and turning their lives around.

I don't have a faith that allows me to believe that whatever bad things occur in my life, are for some higher purpose. That is a very ridiculous and dangerous point of view. If most people in this world could acutally take the point of view that you are suggesting, fewer people would need Psychiatrict help. In fact, this would contribute to a severe drop in numbers within the Psychological practice. However, people do not take these suggestions and end up week after week not making progress in the doctor's office, hearing the same things over and over. Why do you think that is takes a course of time for people to begin a healing process? No one has an appointment with a Psychologist, comes home, and makes drastic changes. Just as I said about someone who suffers from agoraphobia. I know someone personally (from this site) who suffers from the disease. It took her a year before she was able to even speak with a doctor on the phone, let alone travel in an ambulance to a hospital for treatment of another ailment. She just began to receive medication three months ago. It will be a long journey before she is healed. Even now that she possess the will, she is aware of the fact that it will take time. Many people see their doctors for several years and not once has something that was suggested even have the slightest bit of an effect on them. However, if it did, the steps would be small and the progress gradual.

I'm sorry, I don't have lies. I am sorry that you are blinded to God. I guess the doctors who have done tests and seen the improvement must be blinded? I suppose that makes every doctor who has every come in contact with something he can only explain as a miracle, stupid, and in the end, he should tear up his certificates and degrees?

I think Blackguard said it best with Einstein's quote. Scientists must have faith in a hypothesis before they test. Without the faith they have, new theories would not come about. Without faith in a new idea, inventions would not come about. Without faith, we would still be living in the dark ages.

3. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

The truth can be scary, and yet I never shyed away from it because of that. You stated that Nostradamus was pretty accurate. The problem with that is the Bible demands that a true prophet of God must be 100% accurate. Back in the biblical times when a man made a prophecy, and it turned out to be false, they would stone him to death. At know time did God try to Hide His written word. Also Bible prophecy shows the power of God and His authority because it clearly demonstrates that God alone knows the future. The prophecies of Nostradamus never pointed people in the direction of Christ. They were more of a side show that diverted peoples attention from the prophecies that did. Speaking in tongues has it's place in the church, yet it does not rise above God's written Word. It is often conformation of what we already know. 1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God:

4. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

If what a person believes is the truth, then they should have an answer that is both correct and coherent. It is a doctrine of untruth that is hopeless.

5. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

The men of the Bible never used devices to learn about the future, because God spoke to them in an audible voice. I have heard about Nostradamus use of tea leaves on two different occasions. Yet be it tea leaves, or a bowl of dihydrogen oxide, these are still divices that fall into the realm of the occult. The prophets of the Bible never needed either.

6. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Well let me just say that their are other Christians who are saying the same thing. I tend to be vocal on this site but these are Christians that I don't even know yet God is giving them the same message. And the message agrees with the scriptures. If you give your life to Christ and seek His truth He will tell you the same thing. God is speaking to His people all around the world. We are living in the last days, the Jews are back in jerUSAlem.

7. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Amen Epiphany, without Jesus the Book will make no sense to the world. If they could only give their life to Jesus their eyes would be opened. But you have to desire the truth, not run from it.

8. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Murders are not Christians even if they called themselves Christian. Crusaders that killed in the name of God were murders. Jesus stated that no murder will inherit the Kingdom of God. The jews that had Jesus killed were obviously not the Christian Church. Jesus was put to death because of His rejection of His own people. The Bible stated this would happen hundreds of years before the birth of Christ. God was angery with the Jews because they had a long history of killing His prophets. The Jews did not want to hear Gods messages. So it was no surprise when they killed Christ.

9. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

romans killed him if anyone did

10. velvet

velvet Banned

And there you have it.. as soon as something doesn't fit into your view, you simply dissmiss it. There are lots of people in the US calling themselfs true Christians but they are very much in favor of the deathpenalty (see Bush).. so they are in favor of killing instead of 'loving thy enemy' or 'turning the other cheek'.. so in your view, they aren't true christians, right? Or do you have some kind of arrangement with God that it's ok to kill people that have killed themselves? Ok, so basically you filter out all the 'bad people' and you only got a small group left that are 'true christians'.. no matter what the people themselves think of their religion.

That a very very strange logic.

11. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

The brick wall you refer to is called the truth, and it is not fluid. It is not something that can be modified for convenience sake. The Bible is a book of truth which you don't like. Even when the evidence is in front of you. You must look away and consider another route. You see, if you accept what is real you might have to change or modify you life, which is something you might not be willing to do. I have heard the voice of the living God, He is real, and He is coming again. This world does not have much time left. Find Christ while there is still time.

12. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

It was Jesus Christ who fulfilled over three hundred prophecies of the Old Testament, not Ronald.

13. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Yet I would say, those who ignore the prophecies of the Bible are the one's looking at the world with rose colored glasses. The Bible speaks the prophetic truth which is verifiable, yet you must ignore. Because to acknowledge what is true requires you to live for God, which might be inconvenient for you.

14. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

You realise it's because of these murderers that christanity is the largest religion in the world right now.... that, and foolish people who so despratly want to believe in something, they'll even invent an imaginary friend, and then refuse to listen to any and all logic.

I mean, once again, the bible comes down to intrepertation where you end up blaming the jews for jesus being scraficed... it wasn't the jews, it was the romans... but that does not fit into your fantasy... it does not help you achieve your goals, so you lie and scheme, and change the (so called) truth to fit your own will...

You also refuse to believe some of the most basic facts of the universe... evolution.. the fact that every creature on the planet evolved from a single source, the fact that the planet alone is BILLIONS of years old, and who knows how old the rest of the universe is...

Now you have faith, and that's great... if that faith helps you get up every morning and do whatever it is you, then great.. but whatever you do, DO NOT confuse "faith" with "truth"

15. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Something I don't understand... jesus sent his only son.. himself incarnate on earth, so he could be scraficed, and the world could be free of sin..... scraficed to who? Why would got need to scrafice himself to himself?

What a load of crock....

16. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Again, what a crock of shit.. if you can't see that the bible is full of contradictions that needs intrepertation to make any sense, then you're blind to the truth my friend.

17. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

The Jews demanded that the Romans kill Him. Luke 23:10 And the chief priests and scribes stood and vehemently accused him. The Romans wanted to release Jesus but the Jews cried out. Luke 23:18 all at once, saying, Away with this man, and release unto us Barabbas: The Jews traded the Son of God for a murder. In Luke 23 verse 1, it was the Jews that led Jesus to Pilate. The Romans were just the killing machine the Jews used to get rid of Jesus.

18. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

I don't believe in the death penalty. I believe it is murder. The Bible does not pull any punches. When Christ comes for His church, I believe many churches will be full the next Sunday afterwards. It is not what I think about a religion, but the words of Jesus Christ that are important to me. I don't filter out anyone, that is for God to do. Jesus said that no murder will inherit the Kingdom of God. I did not say that, Jesus did. The Bible states that there is a way that seems right unto a man, but the end of that way is death. Another words what you believe, or who you believe in is important.

19. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

The Romans were used by the Jews as the killing machine. The Romans did not want to kill Jesus so they gave the Jews a choice. They said look, we have this man here who is a murder. His name is Barabbas. The Jews said give us Barabbas: Crucify Jesus, and let His blood be on our hands, and on our childrens hands, and on their childrens hands. The Bible clearly states this, there is no lie. Evolution is now a fact? For it to be a fact it would require evidence. Could you show me a fossile showing trans species. Those supporting Evolution had over one hundred years and millions of fossiles to demostrate this, yet they have nothing. It takes less faith to believe the truths of the bible, than it does to believe in evolution that has no evidence showing trans species. Before America sent a space ship to the moon, scientist believed that the universe was so old they had large landing pads installed on the lunar lander. Reason being is, that if the universe was as old as they believed it was, the micro meteorite dust would have to be hundreds of feet thick on the surface of the moon, since there is no atmosphere for the dust to burn up in. They were shocked when they learned that the dust on the moon was only three quarters of an inch thick. Which was one more indication of a much younger universe. Scientist are now coming out in increasing numbers and debunking the whole theory of evolution, and one scientest recently said evolution is an incredible religion.
    Evolution is faith based, not evidence. That is why from the beginning they called it the theory of evolution and not the fact of evolution.

20. velvet

velvet Banned

And that's why all religions (including yours!) is based on faith and believe.. you believe that the Bible contains only factual information and you put your faith in your God for showing you the right way.