The Improbability of God

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Amanda N, Jan 10, 2005.

1. velvet

velvet Banned

Ok.. speaking in tongues is something quite common in a lot of Christian churches and even in a lot of other religions.. so to me that's not a direct prove of Christ. To be more blunt, in a lot of cultures as well as the Catholic Church speaking in another languages is seen as demonic. Doesn't it even say somewhere in the Bible that it's better to speak a few sane words in your own languages than a lot of mumble in another?

About the UFO's. I have a hard time taking you seriously when you believe in them. I mean.. I do believe that there are unindentified flying objects, like when someone sees a high-tech weatherballoon or when there is some kind of aircraft tested.. often there are just lights (like lasers projected against clouds). Anyways, that's just my opinion. However, you do believe in them and even think of them as demonic.

Further, you keep mentioning the prophesies of the Bible and how the came and are coming true. Let's be VERY clear that that is just an opinion, not a FACT. There are lots of scientist ànd even biblical scholars (I took a theology course at University once) that agree that a the Bible was adjusted throughout history.. plus there is always the option of wishful thinking. Do you really believe that there is no chance of opening that gate? I've read a thread about this phenomenen in some other forum and it became pretty clear that all the 'facts' about it aren't very reliable. Trust me, if we can blow up two complete Japanese cities, we can blow up one simple gate. However, the thing is a momument/historical peice (isn't it even on the world-trustee list thingie of momuments?) so there is no chance anyone would be let to try anymore. That's not proof that the gate is un-openable, because we don't try anymore. So you believe it's a fact and proof for the reliability of the Bible, I don't believe that.

I'm very happy for you that you found a religion that suits you and that gives you something to hold on to.

2. juggla

juggla Member

and from what authority do you intepret the bible, did god give you a revalation. I hate to defend catholic church but i must cause thats the only christian denomination that at least makes sense, individual interpretation is dangerous and fractioning, everyone can interpret it differently, ask the pope to interpret the fiction.

3. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

In that case, mo' fo' you...

If you're so damned pig headed that you're not even prepared to look at someone elses view, then you're not worth debating with.... What's wrong, are you scared that you might find out that you're wrong?

4. velvet

velvet Banned

Oh and campell.. you never answered my question. If you believe the Bible word by word as true facts and rules from God.. do you live by those rules? Would you want a woman to cover up her hair and head (like muslim women do, at least they follow all the rules)? And if not.. who gave you the authority to dissmiss some rules?

5. Joseph0

Joseph0 .. . .

deleted post.

6. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

I don't know... I don't claim to have all the answers (and within the scope of the discussion here, I don't see what diffrence it makes).

7. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

8. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

1. Speaking in tongues can be demonic but that does not negate that they also can come from God. The fruit of the experience often reveals from where they came from. When God gives you a choice it is often for you benifit.

2. High tech wheather balloons are not tracked on radar traveling at 3,000 miles an hour making 90 deg. turns.

3. The prophecies are a fact that you can read about yourself. Consider Ezk.37,38,and 39. And yet if truth is not a big thing with you, just dismiss them.. Remember, it was religious experts that put Jesus on the cross.

The East Gate remains sealed as the Bible said it would, what we can and cannot do is of little importance. What is important is what is, not what might be. And on the days the Moslems tried to break the East Gate prophecy, they lost control of Jerusalem, both times and on the same day. Prophecies are claimed to be only an opinion by non belivers, and when the prophecies come to pass, the non believers say, oh that was pridictable.
    Just like Jesus fulfilling the 300 prophecies of the Old Testament. I did not find religion, I found Jesus Christ who is the only living God. Also they know that the Old Testament was not ajusted through out history, because of the finding of the dead sea scrolls back in 1947. The three hundred prophecies of the coming messiah are intact, and the scrolls were written before the birth of Christ.

9. velvet

velvet Banned

Campbell, like I said, I'm very happy for you that you found a religion that suits you and that gives you something to hold on to.

10. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

What I don't understand, in a world full of many diffrent cultures, religions and ideals... how can you be so pigheaded and sure in yourself that YOUR path is the CORRECT path!!!

If it was just a case of you defending your own ideals against others, then fair enough, but you're not... you're saying that this is how everyone else should live... how can you be so sure?

What about paganism, non-fundy christanity, islam, hinduism, voodoo, buddhism, etc... what about all the religions in the past that have since died out, such as the aincent egyptions, the greeks, the romans (before they converted to christanity, bringing many pagan traditions with them as they did).

11. velvet

velvet Banned

Amanda.. just leave'm be.. he's only been 'born again' since one year or so? When I just became a vegetarian I was sooo full of myself.. trying to convert everyone, showing them pictures of slaughterhouses, showing them The Truth about how animals are abused by the meat industry.. after a while I mellowed out.. I became less and less fundy but was still holding on to my own principles.. now, when people want to debate it I play a quiet role.. and I discovered that you accomplish way more by just setting an example than by bashing around and disrespecting others.

What I often notice in fundy Christians is that they are so full of hatred towards other religions.. it doesn't show anything of the kindness and understanding that Jesus was preaching. It doesn't feel like they are trying to warn us, to safe us, to prevent us from going to hell.. no, it feels like their are only busy with proving themselves right. Pardon me if I stop listening to those people after a while.. they should take a look at themselves before thinking they are capable of judging others.

All imho.

12. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

The Bible is the only book that records the future before it happens. None of the other religions have anything like this. Look at how the Jews and PLO hate each other. Yet the Bible tells us that in the future, these two groups are going to become the best of friends. Hard to believe, but the Bible is never wrong. This will happen before Jesus Christ returns. If you take the time to read the Bible, you will understand the future. And only God, speaks with 100% accuracy. The knowledge of God has been around long before other religions. When the Spanish land in South America and were going to tell the Indians about Noahs Ark. They were shocked to discover that the Indians already knew that story, and as a matter of fact, the Indian historical accounts started with the flood story. Jesus Christ is more than a historical figure. I myself have had encounters with Him. He really is the living God, who is soon to return to an unprepared world.

13. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

What about nostradamus?

14. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Velvet, I am 54 years old, I became a Born Again Christian when I was 11 years old. The fire that was started in me has never been dimmed. And Velvet, you seem to have a problem with facts. Jesus taught us not to hate people but to love them. Your feelings are wrong. You would not walk down a street seeing a house on fire knowing time is running out for the people inside and play the quiet role. The church has done this for years, and this is why so many people know nothing about God. The real haters are the ones who slander those who speak of Christ. If you can't attack what the person is saying, you attack the person. They did the same thing with Christ, He spoke the truth, but they killed Him anyway. Pointing out error in a religion does not mean you hate anyone. I don't need to prove I am right, for I know the God of creation. Jesus tells us to proclaim to the world His truth. Jesus also said the world will hate the truth, and He tells us when the world says all evil against you falsely, not to worry, for they hated Me first. It's not Christians that really bother you, it's Jesus Christ and His word.

15. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Well again if you knew the Bible you would know that the Bible states that there is no private intepretation of scripture. Another words, there will not be some special group that only has the truth. It's there for all to read and know. Ask God for wisdom and He will give it to you. Most use there own reason to try and figure it out. God gives to those who asks for understanding. I have asked God many times, and God has answered my appeals. He is a God of wonder.

16. campbell34

campbell34 Banned

Pretty much a Jonny come lately. He often used devices to learn the future that were more from the occult than from God. Tea leaves ect. When men of God speak they do not hide what they write in code. If they die for their beliefs, at least they die in service of the most High God. Nostradamus prophecies fall far short of Bible prophecy. The prophecies of the Bible are far more detailed. And yet few even know they exist.

17. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Campbell34, you want to know something? you truly scare me...

18. velvet

velvet Banned

Hear hear....

One of those people you don't want to give your address to...

19. velvet

velvet Banned

When men of God speak they don't use code? What about speaking in tongues? There ya go...

Didn't Nostradamus had to code his message because otherwise he would've been killed by the church? They weren't worried about him going to hell for what he did and wanted to save him, no, they killed him. Why? Probably because they felt threatend in their authority. Why? Probably because they had reason to. Nostradamus' prophecies are pretty accurate.. I'd say as least as accurate as those of the Bible.. at least.

But hey, you know what? I'm not going to discuss anything with you anymore campbell.. like Amanda said... you're a scary fundy and there is no way to have a normal discussion with you, where you step out of your box for a moment.

Like I said twice before.. I'm happy for you that you found something to hold on to... but your choice isn't mine.

20. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

If I show you specific things of another denomination that does not line up with the word of God, it is because I do not wish for you to be caught up in false prophecy. For example, I speak extensively about the Catholic religion. Do I hate Catholics? No, I was raised Catholic. My entire family is Catholic. However, what they do and say does not correctly coincide with Jesus's teachings. If I do not mention this, I both fail to show that I care, and prove that I am merely interested in my own salvation and not the salvation of others. I am aware of the fact that is seems judgemental. I do not cuss, I do not defer to name calling. I simply point out religious beliefs verses the Bible's teachings. Jesus states that he has one path and the Bible shows us what is part of that path. Sadly, not all denominations comply with that.

A scary fundamentalist would be one who walks around with a rifle in one hand and a bible in the other, trying to use the word to justify his beliefs. KKK members are scary fundamentalists who wouldn't know Christ if he struck them with lightening.

Speaking in tongues is not a code. Speaking in tongues does not have anything to do with speaking to man. Speaking in tongues is prayer in Jesus's Spirit. You are speaking directly to God. You are speaking in a language that man does not interpret (unless they have the gift of intepretation, which is another story) so that what are you saying is only heard between you and the Father.

Why was Nostradamus killed? Why were millions of people killed in the crusades? Why do people to this day still suffer religious persecution? Their persecuters are false prophets. They merely masquerade as God's followers.