The Iceberg That Sunk The Titanic

Discussion in 'History' started by Mallyboppa, Jul 2, 2016.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member

FYI: In 1898 author Morgan Robertson wrote a book called "Futility" which contained short stories; one of these stories was The Wreck of the Titan which centered around a gigantic ocean liner that was described as unsinkable. The fictional ship struck an Iceberg in April and sunk in the North Atlantic There was a great loss of life due to too few lifeboats for the number of passengers.

Both ships were 400 miles away from newfoundland when they struck the iceberg

The Titan carried 2500 passengers and the Titanic had 2,200

The Titan had 24 lifeboats, the Titanic had 20

Size: The Titan was 800 feet the Titanic was 882 feet
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. farmerdon

farmerdon Member

if the titanic had been built with modern welding materials , watertight bulkheads and doors it would never have sunk. ships of that time were riveted together or welded with oxyacetylene ( oxygen and acetylene gas) which weakens the steel. ( at the point of weld) when stick welding and metal inert gas welding ( mig) were developed, ships became much stronger. a retired navy guy told me those old ships would all come apart at the seams when they were hit with a torpedo ( much less an iceberg )
    GLENGLEN likes this.
  3. Eric!

Eric! Member

Safety first! Rehearsals and drills are paramount!
  4. Eric!

Eric! Member

That's pretty strange, especially the Titanic sinking 14 years later. Do you think the author had a premonition? I'm intrigued at shit like that.
  5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member

Premonition, well today interestingly enough is Friday February 2, 2018 Groundhog Day, my opinion of the authors ability to predict future events
    lies somewhere between Punxsutawney Phil ( and his ability to prognosticate the weather) and Miss Cleo of the psychic friends network,
    so yeah I don't give it much credence although it is an interesting coincidence.
    Eric! likes this.