The hunt for Madeleine

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by mbworkrelated, May 10, 2007.

1. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

Oh for sure. I have no doubt they didn't want this to happen, and love her. I sympathise with them, don't get me wrong, I can't imagine what they are going through, but people do make some dumb choices, and then there are the outcomes.

2. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

We all have I imagine -

3. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

Well it werent so long ago that if you went on holiday to Itly or spain for 14 days you would come back to britain without a clue what was going on and the best you would do is to be 3 days behind the news. Lets face it when the twin towers thing happened I was in Barcelona at the time and hadnt got a clue what went on - flew there on the 10th and by chance saw something that looked like a major war about to start on the 15th on a telly in a bar - none of the locals could tell me what happened - to them it was just some irrelevent shit in New York, they care more about the spanish america than the English america - so I found out on the 16th !!! so finding out some news 10 days after being in Marakesh dont suprise me one bit

I have a lot of hope the little girl is alive and suspect that the sighting is probably true I genuinely hope it isnt some nutcase who just wants publicity and 5 minutes of fame at any cost. If she is in one of those countries it wont take the security services 10 minutes to find out - $3000 is about the average yearly wage - for 1/2 that someone will grass someonelse

4. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Fair enough - maybe that ''Deh'' should have been ''Doh''

5. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

Actually the Steven Lawrence case wasn't newsworthy because it was a murder, or even because it was a black person murdered by white people. It was newsworthy because it highlighted the institutional racism of the police force investigating the case and the subsequent McPherson report. So this would be a bad example to use to compare to Madeline, as the Lawrence case was an explicitly political issue. Also the Iraq comparison is slightly illogical. If we're talking numbers, scores, sometimes hundreds, of people die in Iraq every day as a result of the violence there. This is one person. And yes the media have turned this into a national tragedy. I cannot believe that this is of the national public interest to the extent that it is. This is not enitely the fault of the media. The media do not control how people think. The media are often a rational reflection of irrational passions. For example, is it rational for shops in Leicester, or for LSE, to display posters of Madeline if she was abducted in Portugal? No, it's absolutely pointless. All it is doing is feeding some desire to be part of a collective feeling aimed at doing some good in a bad situation. I don't blame people for wanting to do some good, but I do think it's an issue over which they have no control and cannot affect in any way....

6. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

It may have highlighted the ''institutional racism of the police force'' -
    If you accept that was what was occuring.
    The apparent [IR] did not suddenly spring up out of the blue - it was in part because his family pushed for a inquirey into the handling of the case.
    SL was one of many that were let down by the police.

If THIS case highlights the failings in another police force and overall judicial practises - it will be a good thing.

Did the Madeleine case highlight the seemingly illogical practices of the Portuguese authorities ? only time will tell.
    It became one - yes - why ? widespread publicity.
    It would not have if the family had let go of the case.
    What I meant was that we hear/see the daily death count in Iraq - seemingly every single day.
    We all know people died yesterday and will do today and will do tommorow.
    Is it ''newsworthy'' anymore ?.
    Stephen Lawrence was ''one person''.
    His case altered a lot of perceptions and opinions.
    His case was turned into a 'national tragedy'.
    Could you name a few other black people that were killed in rascist attacks that year or the previous year maybe the following year ? - doubtful.

Imho it is always down to individual cases highlighting the 'bigger picture'.

Maybe we should stop crimestoppers and crimewatch from operating then yeah ?. Who is too know who has been where and who knows what - Information could come from anywhere.

The posters do not say ''please look in your garage - look under your bed - have a look in Victoria park''

It says ''If you have any information''

That could be relating to anything that anybody could have seen or heard anywhere - something that rang a bell on TV for a e.g.

It is a little bit more crazy here - that is true.
    I accept it is slightly pointless but everything helps.

I think they did the same kind of campaign in the SL case - but don't quote me there. Not in Leicester - just on TV etc. Was I likely to have any information to help that case ? - unlikely.

And ?.

By forcing this case into the media spotlight and keeping it there - people are hoping something positive will come of it. They can effect a lot of things.

Could 1million people alter the foreign policy of a goverment ? .

7. lithium

lithium frogboy

Has anyone released a charity single yet?[​IMG]

8. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

Hahaha! :D

9. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Bad taste - man. Bad taste. :banghead:

10. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

come on lets do it !

someone write the first line

11. Peace-Phoenix

No, it's fair satire. The media and public outcry over this case has become a satire on itself. No one is saying kidnapping little girls is a good thing. It's not. Nor is anyone saying they don't hope she is found safely. They do. But it is not bad taste to criticise and satirise the media and public reaction to this case. I could imagine Brass Eye doing it brilliantly....

12. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Jumps up and down *giggle*-

I'll start.

What will people do when they realise my parents are jesus freaks -

13. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Fair point - but this is not I think the basis of the ''satire''

I'll let RM make the point if I am wrong.

14. wiggy

wiggy Bitch

Poor little kid!! I had a dream she was in the water somewhere, fucking nasty dream that was.

No body means she could still be alive!!!

15. lithium

lithium frogboy

It's hard to believe, but shortly after the Dunblane massacre in 1996 there was a charity single version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" ... now that was bad taste! As, I think, is all the prurient media coverage of this case.

16. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

The other day I was all settled down to watch the new Wembley (Built by Australians) to watch the final between Manu and Chelsea. Of course Chelsea scored and one the FA cup. Anyway at halftime, suddenly everything became eerily quite. As though someone had let off a real stinker in the crowd. Suddenly on 2000 inch hd stadium screens was none other than Madeline Mcann. In the background droned on with Simple Minds track Don't you forget about me. Well how can we. You are splashed across every newspaper, managed to knock Iraq off the top spot and now I am being asked if I have seen Madeline. The answer to that would be no. I have seen a hundred kids this week but no sign of Maddie anywhere. Secondly, I can barely get out of London, let alone be in Portugal.

My belief is, Madeline is dead. Tragic as it is, I can only admire the parents who have sparked international, international!, support. If only Sarah Payne had that support. If only.
    I hope Madeline is found safe and well, the logic is, no trace, no evidence of her whereabouts and false claims that she has been sighted. The porto police pretending that they are on a winning streak by arresting innocent people and suggesting they are number one suspects. There is a wise old saying which I think applies here: Don't believe everything the paper tells you;)

17. Peace-Phoenix

18. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

Do you think the media would've gave a shit if Madeleine was as ugly as a donkey's arse?

19. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

20. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

Well funnily enough I think they would. What do you think theres some pervy editors going "Pwarrr she's fackin gorgeous mate look at her - oh bollocks to that other kid who's gone missing I want this ones face on the front of our newspaper every day phwaaaarrrrr ! what a scorcher !"

I dont think it works like that I think it works more like perhaps fewer celebs would have offered money if she hadnt got white parents who were reasonably ok for money. I think the media coverage would have been less if it were not for the incompetence of the police and I think that if she had gone missing at home the attention would have been far more focused on police searches and police media statements. The fact is that with so much police silence the british media were trying to make up for the completely fucked up amateurish way the portugese handled it

Is portugal in the EU if so it should be fined and the money passed to maddies parents - and fined every month they dont sort out their shit legal system