The hunt for Madeleine

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by mbworkrelated, May 10, 2007.

1. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

It isn't nice for anyone to have their names and identity splashed across the international television networks of him being a child abducter and a possible killer when he is innocent. His mother, uncle have both said that he is destraught and cannot leave his apartment. No, we should not target innocent people. We waste our time in a court trying to convict an innocent man. THis then draws attention away and the police remove border control and the whole focus is on the innocent man in court being spat and shouted at by local Portugeasians. We then convict the man. The man is innocent and sent down. The case is and the investigation is closed. The Madeline Team (Who resemble the A Team) job are over.

Two weeks has gone by and my instinctive gut feeling is that she has been murdered and disposed of. I think with all the hullapaloo and over the top international global investigation, it would have pricked the conscience of the man who took her and he would have been more likely to leave her in a secure place and make an anonymous phone call. So far, no call and not a single trace of evidence. With no evidence, it is harder than ever before. And as the porto police keep arresting innocent holiday makers and other innocent people, the case is being stalled, hopes are being raised and innocent people who have been arrested have had their lives destroyed.

2. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I'd not like my name to be plastered all over the news - I can appreciate that it would damage your life. I think his image and name were splashed prematurely in the news - but like has been said it may have been more a journalists [Lori Campbell of the Sunday Mirror] ego - but judging by what she has said - i think nobody wanted to drop the ball on possibly capturing a suspect - even if he turned out to be innocent. Did they not question the soham murderer a few time and let him go ?.

It is a travesty of justice if he had been ''put down'' and later found to be innocent - but hindsight is a lovely thing.

I think if you are willing to abduct a young child - the reaction to this would be panic - not rationality.
    As sad as it maybe - whoever has taken her would have............well we all know how these sort of cases turn out - the majority of the time.

3. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Hmmmmm It's an interesting one... I'm not sure really. I suppose I'm interested in this case because it happened in the prefecture I used to live in and also in a city I used to visit regularly.
    I suppose I'm more interested in cases that I can relate to; local or whatever.

As for the word prefecture: it's just another word for province/county/state etc

4. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I think the Madeleine case was because it was high profile - but it also was fairly local [Leicestershire]. I live in the same prefecture :rolleyes: .

Her image has been literaly everywhere I look.

I'm not sure I feel the same way about every case I hear about - the national media can't pick up and follow every single case and do any justice to it - so i think it just depends on what catches your full attention and one that strikes a chord in the emotional stakes - this one certainly did.

For me personaly - I think it was a mixture of differing reasons.

Not that my heart does not bleed just at the thought of all the fuckedupness [you will not find that in the dictionary] that occurs in this world.

5. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Once again the newshour on News24 was largely dominated by Madelines theme. Infact I switch over to News24 multiscreen and each screen filled with her staring eyes. Even last night I had my dreams invaded. Something about news people and the A Team. So the Madeline Team or M Team, a small guy makes an announcement. A person who could look like barracas, van in the background with a red stripe, he makes his feelings known.

I would like to know what other things are going on this world thankyou very much News24. Yes, this is tragic and we all feel for the parents but Madeline is hardly a celebrity.

6. PinkMoon

PinkMoon Senior Member

At uni there is a poster up sayign "have you seen madeline"
    ridiculous.

7. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

This is a personal tragedy, but it is not a national tragedy. I can't believe how much coverage has been devoted to this. It makes front page news on an almost daily basis, and coverage of the search has been billed higher than the Gaza conflict on broadcast news. Not to sound harsh, but this simply isn't newsworthy to anywhere near the degree that it is being covered....

8. lithium

lithium frogboy

I agree, I've made a point of avoiding reading or hearing anything about this story. I understand the human instincts that make this such an appealing situation for those who are following it with dubious glee, but it's just not news.

9. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

These A team people youre saying about, you mean they got someone who looks like mr fuckin T looking for her - it will scare the shit out of her if he's the one to go in and get her. Also the A team were more brawn than brain and they should get the A team and inspector cleusseau off the case and get knacker of the yard over there pretty quick

BTW someoone has said they spotted maddy in marakesh

10. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Not quite - think more Team Franken
    http://myspace.com/teamfranken

Lots of like minded souls all working for one goal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=454949&in_page_id=1770

:)

Ten long days ago - what was that person thinking ? deh.

11. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

I don't know much about this story to be honest, but maybe it's not as big here as in the UK.
    But that's that the media does. They do it with with everything, find a story and grab hold till the bitter end. This made me think of when Anna Nicole Smith died a little while back, I thought her face was going to be burned into my retinas, she was on TV/in the news so much. I’m surprised I wasn’t having nightmares. And yeah it's unfortunate, but tons of people die all the time, I'm sure without a doubt there were other things that should have been covered, than explaining her life story every five minutes.

12. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I do not think anybody is making it into a national tragedy.
    Nobody is forcing anybody to give a toss.
    There ARE thousand upon thousand of OTHER missing people - all with their own dedicated website and a glimpse at media attention.

Yes there is NOTHING essentialy special about this case but nobody can deny the amount of interest it has gained.
    Unfairly / unjustly ? I do not know.

It is impossible for the media to dedicate a lot of time to every single 'tragedy' so yeah they do pick on one or two.
    Maybe every now and again a iconic case makes people think about that type of tragedy as a whole and that is reflected on the amount of coverage it subsequently gets.

In this case it has been the family that has kept it in the media.
    If they they did not the media and everybody else would be thinking : Madeleine who ?.

Let this family have a little bit of time to get as much support as they can - before their story is not in the news anymore - I think they deserve that atleast.

Did the Steven Lawrence case need that amount of coverage - was that a 'national tragedy' - No and NO.

Is the plight in gaza anymore or less newsworthy in this part of the world ?.

Is the latest blast that kills a load of people in Iraq - newsworthy anymore ?.

Millions of people do not give a toss what occurs in either of those places.

This IS a big story for them and this is what they want to see on the news.
    That is why 65million people visited the Madeleine website - that is why in leicester every other shop has her poster in the window.

''Visitors have left more than 16,000 messages of support for the McCanns through the website''

There is a fine balance I agree - It is begining to slow down now [media coverage].

Before we know it the constant feed of horror stories from Iraq will find there place back on front of the news agenda - don't worry folks.

CrucifiedDreams:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6672003.stm

13. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

Thanks for the link. Sorry if this has been said, but did her parents leave her in the hotel by herself?

14. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Yes

15. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

Well that's pretty rediculous...

16. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

If you go over the first few pages - I'll be agreeing with you there. :rolleyes:

17. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

Yeah I skimmed through. You don't go on a vaction and then leave your young child in a hotel by herself. That is just silly. And for whoever said, well you wouldn't watch them constantly while they're sleeping in your house, that's a completely different situation. You are in the house with them - a much smaller doman then a hotel, with less entrences, those of which you would notice if someone was trying to get in. And I highly doubt that someone would get in their window without you hearing it. Little kids have to be watched constantly, with few exceptions, that's just the way it goes. No I've never raised children but I've babysat enough toddlers to know.

18. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess.

19. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

You don't need hindsight in this case to know they shouldn't have done that.

20. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

All I mean is - I imagine they regret leaving her - If they could go back they would have stayed withe her.
    They did not wish for this to happen.

I'm just trying to be nice - rather than call them complete idiots I guess.