The hunt for Madeleine

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by mbworkrelated, May 10, 2007.

1. dapablo

dapablo redefining

I was arguing that there is no case for prosecuting the parents rather than trying to wind either of your personalities up really.

2. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

Lets get it straight shall we I only post here as ronald macdonald. Its the truth.
    Also if you think I am posting as many people you are sderiously lacking security on your computer. Our technical guy who used to post here as 'sentient' showed us a site where you pay a small fee for proxy server services (a proxy substitutes your identity on the web for a false identity), also for a short time he built a proxy that we could all go through and that proxy would itself contact a list of proxies on the web
    I am never sure whether since he stopped posting here if I am still through his proxy at his office or whether it is the one I paid for so that i get a choice of proxies or random ones. I havent seen him in 14 or 15 days.

I assume you are just looking at ip addresses - well I hope no-one has given you my ip address as in our office we take the data protection act quite seriously

3. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

''white blue eyed cute gir/boyl''

''Black teenager caught up in gun/knife/rascist attack''

Both these get HUGE coverage.

To be a little fair.

I'd imagine those 77,000 missing kids - get a reasonable amount of coverage in local newspapers/TV - but the national newspapers/TV could never devote the same amount of time too them all.
    So what do they do - they pick out a story for there own editorial preference.
    It is very wrong - every child is just as special as any other.

On the other hand is it possible for the national newspapers/TV to cover 77,000 families with the same level ? nope i do not think so - so they have to decide on a few - it reflects what is going on throughout the UK.

4. Amedeo

Amedeo Member

I find it's sick that people are now offering so much money as a reward, but all that money is no help. It just means people will come forward and lie to fit someone up for the crime like what happened with damilola taylor

Also while the girl's disappearance is tragic and it must be awful for her family, the two million quid they are offering could help thousands of starving or uneducated kids in Africa.

5. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

To be fair I think it is in part a ''fighting fund''
    But I get your point
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1806902.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6652611.stm
    REWARD CONTRIBUTORS
    JK Rowling
    Sir Philip Green
    Richard Branson
    Bill Kenwright
    Eggert Magnusson
    John Madejski
    Jacqueline Gold
    Simon Cowell
    Wayne Rooney
    Michael Vaughan
    Sir Tom Hunter
    Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou
    John Hargreaves

I think Richard Branson [for e.g] can afford it - plus he DOES give and more than likely will give more to charities - including those in Africa.
    The donation he made was pocket change for him.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4417378.stm

6. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

I have to agree with Luke. Why's this girl more important than the 77,000 other children that go missing every year?
    Sure, the other children may have local media coverage, but that is sickening when you see the amount of effort the media has gone to just to find this one child. How do you think the parents of the others feel. Are their children not as important?
    It's sick.

7. dapablo

dapablo redefining

I suggest perhaps the other 77,000 were not 3 years old and are probably teen or pre-teen, not quite so heart wrenching for the general public maybe.

8. fountains of nay

No, I would put money on it that some are babies and younger than 3, actually. There wasn't half the media coverage when that baby got abducted from the bath and then sexually abused.
    Just because a child may be 6 or 7, it doesn't make the case less serious than this one. A child's a child at the end of the day.

9. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I think because this is ''ongoing'' it is creating more coverage - as tragic as the abduction and rape of the baby was - It was effectively over within a short space of time. The persons involved was caught. I suspect if nobody is caught in the next week or so - this story will evaporate for a while.

10. fountains of nay

Hopefully, because I am getting a little bored of hearing/seeing/reading about it every half hour of the day.
    I'm more interested in the Lindsay Ann Hawker murder that happened in Japan. Where's the coverage on this? There isn't any, unless you visit the Japan Times, Daily Yoimiuri etc.

11. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

You can find information about her all over the place - to be fair.
    I do know what you mean though.
    The sad fact is she is dead and they have a suspect in mind.
    This makes it partialy resolved - what more can be said /.
    It know longer is a 'current' story.
    It will be again when the fucker that murdered her is caught.

12. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

those potugese police are brain dead and are fitting that poor guy up because they look like idiots in front of the world media - he will suffer because they are shit
    Remember ACAB

13. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

I'd have to disagree, Ron. They, like any other police investigation, are getting as much suspects as possible. The only reason why he will suffer is due to the tabloids. I think the Portugese police are doing the best they can, but the British tabloids are building the situation up as if to put blame on the police; whoever the suspect is, be he innocent or guilty, he will suffer due to the hand of the British tabloid.

14. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

I think so too it was some journalist from the BBC that said to the police, "the guy who owns that villa is a bit close to the investigation isnt he"? Turns out he kept appearing and making statements as though he was some kind of official. Well it al;so turns out the police were using him as an interpreter as he speaks fluent potugese and english.
    so basically this woman journalist probably really said, "listen **** what the fuck is going on in there" and the interpreter said "on the record I cannot tell you and off the record -= FUCK YOU" ! so she probably said what a butthole surfer and convinced the police he was dodgy

I can smell pork

15. fountains of nay

I agree Luke, I think the Portuguese Police are doing everything they can to solve this crime. Our media and country are so arrogant that we think that we do everything in the right way etc.

16. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

17. fountains of nay

Cheers dude (you can call me Nay, by the way :) )
    This too is a tragic case, I feel for her family. I get a lot of information from my friends in the prefecture.

18. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Okay Nay -

Yah it is - It is weird how certain cases touch your heart - Like has been said there is a myriad of other missing people - many other tragic cases like the Hawker case - do you think we only have the capability to ''care'' about a certain amount of tragedies - or is it just the fact this one was high profile.

A word i've not heard before - thanks.

19. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

As I stirred out my bed this afternoon, I tuned in to channel 80, News24. Already I had a pair of staring eyes looking right at me with all the innocence and surprise of a four year old. Only yesterday someone dug out an old Simple Minds record to give audio to this tragic case.
    Also yesterday I find that an innocent first suspects life has been destroyed because of Portugease police incompetence. Now a Russian man is probably going to be cleared due to lack of evidence. Who will be next?

MPs yesterday wore yellow ribbons on their smart suits. Hanging loosely and with a bright yellow that television could not ignore. All for Madeline. There have been marathons, huge funds and a completely new investigative organisation who call themselves, Team Madeline or the Madeline Team. BA Barracas lookalike portugeasian bloke with longish dark hair falling to shoulder length is busy keeping vigilance of the crime scene. Helicopters from all major broadcasting companies from all around the World, from ABC to the BBC, to Seven Network are flying about the resort like common sparrows.

Yes, I sympathise with the parents and hope that she is found, alive. But two weeks later and still not a shred of evidence of this lost child. It is mysterious that no evidence has been found and nobody has actually had any official sightings. Any sightings have been discovered to be mistaken identity.

As each day goes by, the likelyhood of Madeline being found is very unlikely. I suppose the overblown media on Madeline has distracted us from the Iraqie crisis, the all important elections and only yesterday, a brief clearing allowed everyone to know that prince Harry isn't going to war.

Sometimes I wish that other countries would have similar restraints on the media as it is turning out to be one hell of a circus. This is putting a few people off actually staying devoted to the search, thus also is driving attention away from Madeline herself but more attention is being put on the magnitude of this investigation.

It has got so out of proportion that it is one small step away from hysteria. The parents I feel would rather prefer a smaller, less circus act investigation and rather one that we had when Sarah Payne went missing.

It goes to show how wildly things can spin out of control. My heart goes out to everyone who has been caught up in this tragedy and to the parents. I hope that Madeline is found safe and well but I very much doubt it that she will ever be found. My guess is, she has been murdered and the body has been erased so that nobody can ever find her. No official sightings, or confirmed sightings. The police are now targetting innocent people. Too many distractions, to many steps back and so out of proportion. One can only feel for the parents.

20. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

How do you think I feel when every other shop has her face in the window -asking pleading for help.

I do not fault the portugues police - they have done there upmost.

It was always going to be the case that some ''innocent'' people were going to be questioned - neither [I believe] were arrested ?.
    Yes there lives have been destroyed in the short term - lets hope not the long term.

It would have been wrong not to follow up every lead possible [however tenuous it might have been]. I do not care how many ''innocent'' people who are taken into questioning.

I did think it was too close to following the Sarah Payne case - the media seemed to mawkishly wish for that English chap to have been convicted.
    As good as it may have been - I just would have hated a 30 minute special about the similarities - I'm sure they had one 3/4s prepared.

Only yeserday I was thinking it may last a few more weeks at this ''fever pitch'' but I do believe it is calming down now - for now.

Thanks too the family It has not come off the medias agenda wich is a good thing at the end of the day. I do not blame them - It has caught the publics and goverments attention - and made most people think about there care of children and the wider point of missing kids. No doubt I think there will be a long lasting legacy to this so far tragic case.

I hope that Madeline is found safe -