The hunt for Madeleine

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by mbworkrelated, May 10, 2007.

1. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I think the majority of people are aware of this story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6629399.stm

What do people think of the investigation.
    The parents.
    The reaction.

I was provoked into posting this because i read :

I thank him for allowing me to quote him.

What fascinated me was

I have heard that ''we do things differently in this country''.

There has been a harsh backlash to the police's reaction and action - is it fair ?.

Like the Police ''over there'' are idiots or something.

They have a VERY different approach that is TRUE.
    They also have very different laws governing what they can and can not do or say.

Given this - what are in your opinions [J0hn] of the mistakes that have been made - and what are they ?.

Has anybody else noticed 'mistakes'.

My first reaction was that it was a very sad story - i do hope she is found.

Then i thought - what in the world were the parents thinking - leaving 3 kids to ALONE.
    Surely they should been at their sides 24/7 especialy when they are on holiday.
    Sure no parent is infallable - but come on - to leave your kids just to have a meal - is not right.

2. dapablo

dapablo redefining

Looks like babysitting services were on offer so one shouldn't castigate the parents, because, no they should not be required to be by a childs side every minute of every day.

Sad story, shit happens, and we have complete lack of information regarding police actions or not, as it should be.

3. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

For a start, blocking borders days later was a big mistake. The abducter would probably have left Portugal and gone into Spain by the time border blocks were put in. The increasing media from Britain is giving the abducter clues as to tactics used. Therefore he or she is one step ahead. News24 is also available in Europe. Seven days, and still the parents are none the wiser. Due to portugease law, this puts more pain on the parents because they cannot be told about investigation.

I have noticed more mistakes, but feel it may have a negative affect.
    Madeline was born on May 11th or 12th 2003. So we are now looking for a four year old as opposed to a three year old. It is amazing that the law in Portugal is so severe. This is the third mistake.

I believe that Madeline has been murdered. Seven days missing. I am convinced the abducter has basically disposed of the evidence. It is tragic if this is true. I hope for the parents sake and Madeline. There have been sightings but this may prove to be false. A lot of kids this age look alike. portugal? It is Spain we should be concentrating on now. OR, Brazil. Maybe the abducter has links to brazil. In Brazil, they speak Portugease, not Spanish. I am pretty sure that this could be a second location if spain is unsuccessful. Also bare in mind that Spanish and portoguese can understand each other , even if the language is slightly different.

All I can say is, I like millions of others, all wait with angst for the safe return of madeline or a conclusion.

4. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Why the hell did they not use that service ?.
    I have read it was available upto about 11.30pm.
    Why should we NOT castigate the parents ?

5. dapablo

dapablo redefining

Did they not ?
    They did not put the girl on display with a sign which read "take this child", thats why. One cannot as a parent live a life trying to protect your children from kidnapping, that just leads to paranoia mate. :)

6. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

NO - they were checking up on them every half hour.

''There is also babysitting, and a "dining-out" creche service in the evenings for children aged four months to nine years - parents eating in the resort's restaurants drop the children off and pick them up later.''
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/6627799.stm

I was talking about castigating the parents for NOT useing the childcare facilities.

7. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I've read there is a possibility they got away by boat -

it is a error that they did this so late - unlike what they do in America - there 'excuse' is that it is a rarity in that part of the world - so procedures were not in place.

I think there has been very little clues given - hence i fear why the police are getting it in the neck from the media.
    It is too fill the newspapers.
    I'm not sure what the parents are being told - i think it is a little bit more than we are hearing in the media.

Why - i was fascinated what the 'mistakes' were or your perceptions were - don't duck out on me now John.

What mistake is that ?.

I'm thinking the worse myself - the family are from Leicestershire - my home county. So you can imagine the added coverage this is getting.

Is that like ''all black people look alike'' ? - mmmm not sure what you mean John.

It breaks my heart every time iI see her little face on the news stands.

8. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Portugal's law on disclosing investigation to victims, media et cetera is too severe and this is a mistake. By the media or indeed the parents, forget the media for a minute, the parents are now going through even more pain for being kept in the dark like mushrooms. As parents, they have a right to know.

The Portugease police. I doubt very much the police are doing things properly. This appears to be a massive cock up right from the start. In other words, they flamingoed up. I don't think kidnap is rare in Portugal or indeed in any other part of the world. For once, I support America's ways. If this was in America, I believe Madeline would have been found due to all borders of the state being blocked within 24 hours.

*I tune in to watch more on Madelines theme on BBC News24. But like myself, The BBC are really at a loose end.

9. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

Another possibility is, Madeline could still be in portugal. If so, there may be a chance. As everyone knows, portugal is a tiny country. A slither basically. my confidence with portugease police has been tainted by their way of handling cases. If they cannot be professional when dealing with hooligans, rioters etc, I am very doubtful they can deal with such a delicate case as this:(

We can only hope. I personally feel so shocked at this case. I don't think we should condemn parents for not hiring a foreign babysitter. It was a family holiday, probably was expensive. Why the fuck would they want to spend more on babysitting?

10. dapablo

dapablo redefining

Most babysitting services will do no more than check up every half hour, I would consider that more than adequate for sleeping children. You wouldn't take a 3-4 year old and leave her with strangers at bedtime, they'd never settle so you wouldn't go out.

11. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

I agree.
    We just do not know what they are or are not being told - i have heard what relatives and ''friends of the family'' have been told BUT even they are not aware of what has been said or not said.
    They ofcourse have the prejudice of not being told and a obvious wish for a happy resolution to all of this. They rightly or wrongly have their focus and sympathy with the family not the police.
    Quite possibly when or IF the innocent delicate poor little child is found our criticism will disipate.
    ?
    Obviously it occurs - but i believe THIS scenario IS rare in that part of the world. It might be a excuse - but imho i think we have to give credit AND criticism to the local police where it is due. I think they have done their upmost so far - it is a little wrong to judge them but hey that is the British way - i guess.
    We just do not know that - plenty of kids dissapear in America - never to be located EVER again.
    Same here.

12. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

As I browsed the link by the author of thread, I see an innocent, beautiful girl who should never have been taken away from her parents or family. There is going to be a day when the parents will have to return home and I admit this will reflect more on the possibility that this child has indeed gone forever.

I cannot think of anywhere worse that this could of happened. Portugal of all places. Where the government of that country has severe laws that forbid, block or dissallow victims to know exactly what the fuck is happening and what tactics are being used.

We can only pray and hope for the safe return of Madeline. What we can be clear on is Portugals law that doesn't allow disclosure of investigations to public or to the media. Somehow this may be good with the media as they can hype things up. but in this incidence, I feel it would be far more helpful if the media aswell as the public, the parents know something and are kept informed. Me being British, I cannot make Portugal change its law. it is for them, the government of that country to act.

Additional: it is true that kids go missing in America and are never found. With the following exception of Kevin.

13. sentient

sentient Senior Member

Dapablo or whatever your name - I think you should know that in the uk we have a law that says the crime is not limited to the place it was committed. In other words If a person from the UK comitts a crime abroad they can be prosecuted in this country for that.

Now as the law stands it is a considerable offence and one that is not tollorated in this country to leave young children below the age of 14 unattended by adult company or at least the company of someone over 16 yrs. I am aware of what a considerable loss this child is to the parents and I am really not unsympathetic to their dilemma and pain. However if it were not for this negligence their daughter would not be suffering at the hands of strangers right now.

I believe, though it is very hard to say so, that the parents should be prosecuted just the same as a lot of parents are prosecuted for the same offence (the difference being in the majority of cases the kids are unharmed) many people are serving sentences where their kids were safe but left alone - some kids were killed playing with fire while the parents were out. This is what happens when parents leave kids alone.

They have been criminally negligent and should face up to their own blame and take the consequences because their daughter is suffering more than them right now

Ok I am out of here - bye bye all - see ya in another life !

14. dapablo

dapablo redefining

Ah how can one start to respond to those that require invisibility.

The law is all well and good and its there for a purpose but... its all bit "those without sin" if you get my drift.

What experience have you had raising children then sir/madam, I'd be pleased to hear your advice ?

15. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

This one looked after them the WHOLE time.
    Maybe the parents thought the kids would not drop off to sleep - when with ''strangers'' - i can understand that - they then should not have bothered going out for a meal.
    I can understand that the parents thought they were leaving their kids safe and secure - they were not completely iresponsible.
    I'd not go as far as sentient - but i'm be pretty bloody close to that point of view.

16. dapablo

dapablo redefining

I get the feeling I'm the only person on here who has raised children. sanctimony.

17. mbworkrelated

mbworkrelated Banned

Sorry dude - I'm being fairly harsh. I know nobody is perfect - and the parents did not set out to bring this about.
    The avenue of parental responsibility is something that should be explored - as everybody else is getting their fair share of scrutiny. It is ofcourse a little sanctimoniuos I can accept that.

18. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

No sign of the child and the police are now nearing closure of the investigation. It is heartwrenching to say this but I honestly believe she has been murdered.:(

19. ming the merciless

ming the merciless Banned

Oh no, one of those people who considers their ability to cop off with someone and then provide a roof and some food for the offspring somehow makes their view more important than anyone who argues from a point that once a law is passed it is therefore objectively a point of reference to what is considered acceptable behaviour. Fair point if I wanted to know what the best method of changing a nappy is, or how many feeds a day the sprog should get but most people would agree that leaving children under the age of 12, unattended, in a house, while the parents are boozing and eating is criminally negligent. The upper hand is got by accepting that the needs of the parent are always second to the responsibility they have to ensure the survival, safety, and maintennance, of the child.

I would know such things I am emperor ming and have raised children and conquered most of the universe as well

20. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

The parents are totally to blame for this even happening. They should have been responsible and paid the extra couple of quid for a baby-sitter or never taken the children on holiday with them in the first place, if they weren't prepared to look after them properly. Every sensible person knows that you never leave a child unattended at any time.