The Human Centipede

Discussion in 'Horror Movies' started by McLeodGanja, Jan 7, 2011.

1. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

If you are a fan of horror, but don't like it when they go too far, eg. Eli Roth's Hostel- and you prefer something a bit more tasteful then you may be surprised.

Upon first inspection I would give this an 8/10. At times it didn't quite cut it, and felt like it could have done with more thought or another take maybe, but other than that it presented it's fair share of classic moments.

One of the nuttiest perfomances of a horror movie psycho killer I have seen since I don't, beyond freddy kruger maybe...

The premise of the film is fairly typical of horror movies, a bunch of hapless young American high school kids have the misfortune as to get embroiled in some random sicko-s fantasy.... it looked like it could be turning into an Eli Roth stromash but luckily avoided, or perhaps you might say became adjoined in some way with fate.

The plot centres around three young people who find themselves in the laboratory of a mad scientist who wants to turn them into a human centipede by joining them up to each other ass to mouth, literally...

But the film combines almost slap-stick humour with the odd harrowing moment, diluted enough to be quite pallatable for a contemporary movie of it's genre.

The copy I had didn't have subs in it, so I just had to guess what the fuck they were saying when the foreign speaking parts were on. This did nothing to distract from the thrill of the movie and might in fact have added to it for me. It may well have been intended that way, I hope it was.

8/10 a must see for fans of horror and scatology

2. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

I tried watching it. Then one of them annoyed me, so I put something else on. Well, some of the lines annoyed me.

Might give it another go at some point though.

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The reviews I read were very mixed from vile and detestable to a genuinely scary movie soon to be a cult classic :confused:

Hotwater

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

its the dumbest movie I have ever see.. I seen Tosh.0 talking about it. seen it then.. We'll see again.. :p

5. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I think it will achieve cult status somewheres

I like it because of the doctor and the asian guy, and the two cops that turned up were pretty hardcore too.

In hindsight it could have done with a polish, a bit more work to get it right, otherwise 70% of the film they nailed it.
    :mickey:

6. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

i saw this one last night.
    it sounds like you saw different version of the movie then i did.
    the version is saw was dubbed into english and; had a choice of the theatrical version or, the unrated version. i saw the unrated version... NASTY!:ack2:

your right about the humor in this movie.
    it struck me about 1/4 of the way into the movie, "i've seen this all before, in a somewhat different form."
    the human centipede is somekind of take-off (maybe a rip-off :confused:) of the 3 re-animator movies.
    anyhow, jeffrey combs was one hell of a better mad doctor in the 3 re-animator movies then this guy was in the human centipede.

7. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Oh I don't know if I would want to see the unrated version LOL the bit where he squeezes the yellow puss out of the girl at the back ends cheek was revolting! I loved the experssion on the docs face though.

8. SweetBlasphemy

SweetBlasphemy Senior Member

Dr. Heiter is my favorite movie villain since Hannibal Lecter. I really liked how it was mostly psychologically disturbing and used only minimal gore to get the point across... too bad the two chicks were such awful actors, everyone else was good, especially the doctor, so it kind of threw the mood off at some points... then again, they were so annoying it made it hard for me to feel bad for them so I enjoyed watching them suffer that much more :)

9. gingerbreadhead

gingerbreadhead Member

I didn't think it was a gross as others thought, The main concept is a bit disturbing, but past that, there was so much more they could have done to be disturbing.

Decent film though, great mad doctor.

10. SweetBlasphemy

But it's only the First Sequence... have to save some tricks for the sequels :)

11. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

But the doctor is dead, how can they carry on the story without him?

12. SweetBlasphemy

I thought the same thing. I don't know, a prequel? But that doesn't make much sense either since that was his first human experiment, or at least that's what it leads you to believe. But why would they call it "The First Sequence" if we're not to expect more?

13. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I wondered that too. ..

14. SweetBlasphemy

We shall just have to wait and see... and be content to be pacified for now by one of the top horror films of this young millennium...

15. lilHippieChick

lilHippieChick Member

oh god it was so weird.
    it wasn't even scary, just gross. with that infection the girl at the end got and all. gross

16. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

Haha, that movie was messed up. I enjoyed it despite occasional logical flaws, found it quite humorous and somewhat disturbing.

17. spexxx

spexxx Member

Wasn't bad, I wanna see the next one

18. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

definitely would see the next one.Maybe it will involve the girl in front of the centipede although it seems unlikely. Not too unlikely for a disturbing horror film though.

19. ameliorateLJ

ameliorateLJ Member

I think the premise had so much potential, but the movie seemed to lack any real sort of flow or motivation. It was kind of a drag, in my opinion!

20. Ratte

Ratte Guest

I thought that the girls were so annoying and was laughing at them the whole time. They should have taken their chances with the pervert guy instead of wandering around in the woods. There were logic fails that annoyed me, but I thought it was at least an interesting enough movie. Not scary, just "Haha, what the heck am I watching?"