The Horros Within!

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Glacius, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Glacius

Glacius Member

ok locked folks, i need your help.

im 4 months natural now and i decided to pull apart a forced fake congo that wasnt doing well. my hair looked fine after i saw it in a mirror in a room with low light, but i was distressed with what i saw under the bathroom lights. the locks that i pulled apart had this dull white buildup, i think it was trapped inside the lock. after closer inspection, just about any lock has this buildup, im sure its even worse inside.

i dont know what im dealing with here. is it dandruff, mold, salt, the fabled bronners+hard water problem, or maybe something else?

it is really frustrating. i have been care free for 4 months apart from method experimentation (just stick to natural and save yourself some headaches) and having this happen is a shot to my confidence. i let locks happen because i thought it would be calming; moldy hair is not calming.

i guess i will start doing things from the wax removal thread tomorrow. share with me what you know.

2. chuffeddreads

chuffeddreads Member

i have the same problem,
    im pretty sure its just head cheese.

3. OregonHerbalist

OregonHerbalist Member

That sounds like powdery mildew, its white and powdery, and is usually inside the acual lock. My friend was talking about how he got some last year, and he had quite a bit, I felt bad for him at the time. He got it by not keeping his locks dry enough.
    Or maby even just all the white roots of hair trapped within? Sometimes that can also look sortive like powdery mildew.

4. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

I have that a little too, it gets worse on me when I wash less. But I guess most of people with lock have it a little of maybe more. When I fixed other peoples locks I saw it a lot too.

5. Merrivale

Merrivale Senior Member

If it doesn't smell then I'd guess it's just a combination of dandruff and shampoo residue that's built up inside. The problem is once things are inside dreadlocks it's damm difficult to remove, whatever it is. Anyway I'd just go with the deep cleanse and/or soak them with diluted ACV. Or, if you're doing the deep cleanse use plenty of tea tree oil just in case it is mold.

I do remember though somewhere you were saying you got your scalp wet every morning in the shower? If so maybe you're letting a bit too much water get into your locks? Good luck whatever....

6. zilla939

zilla939 Thought Police Lifetime Supporter

yeah, i have had good luck blow drying my roots those days that are cold and humid and my dreads take forever to dry... if they are taking too long to dry, blow drying on a low setting wouldn't hurt.

7. phen

phen Member

no idea, but i had a little wtf moment aswell like a week ago, saw white stuff under bright bathroom lights, but most of it turned out to be like split ends or some shit and some shampoo residue i figured...looked like a bit of dandruff to me, which probably isnt relevant, but ive never had dandruff as far as i can remember so i freaked for a min and thought it coulve been soemthing worse

8. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

I find little bits of black hairs...which I can only assume is from my great dane when we chill on the couch together...still kinda gross though

9. Glacius

Glacius Member

i live in canada, it was -32 celsius this morning when my hair was still wet. it takes forever to dry, im on it with the towel for like 5 minutes trying to get it dry but its never good. i guess i will try keeping my hair dry or maybe start using a blow dryer if that doesnt work.

the plan now, acv rinses, keep hair dry, and if that isnt changing anything then ill double my washes from once to twice a week. i just need some measurements down and i guess ill get started

10. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

it always used to take me a couple of hours to dry mine out properly, either with a towel, a blow dryer or just air drying..