The Holy Ghost (speaking in tongues)

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Epiphany, May 20, 2004.

1. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I just wanted to talk a little about the holy ghost because not everyone knows what it is....

The word, "ghost", in the Bible is also translated as, "spirit", in some places. Both words are translated from the Greek word, "pneuma", meaning spirit. The holy spirit, or holy ghost, is the spirit of God. God accompanies three offices.... He is God (the father), Jesus is God in the flesh (the son), and the holy spirit is the spirit of God.

The gift of the holy spirit is a promise from God. Once you are baptized for the remission of sins, God will baptize you will the infilling of his spirit.

Acts 2:4 defines the holy spirit..."All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other tongues". So does Isaiah 28:9-12: "Very well then, with foreign and strange tongues, God will speak to this people".

Acts 2:38 says, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins and you will recieve the gift of the holy spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, for all whom the Lord our God will call."

John the Baptist ,quoted by all four Gospel writers, that Jesus would baptize them with the holy ghost.

God's word is very precise in giving us examples of this phenomenal sign of speaking in tongues as evidence one has recieved the holy ghost.

Acts 2:1-4, Acts 8:1-25, Acts 10:44-48, Acts 19:1-6

Joel 2:28-29 and Acts 2:16&17 - God's promise of the holy ghost is to all flesh- sons, daughters, servants, and handmaids.

Many people speak out against the holy spirit, saying that it's fake, or that it's just a way to bring people to the church, all I can say in response to that is this...

Mark 3:28-30 says that, "I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit will never be forgiven, he is guilty of an eternal sin".

There are three basic and important reasons for the Spirit of God to dwell within each christian
    1) It is necessary for salvation (romans 8:9-11, I corinthians 12:3)
    2) It will lead us into all truth (john 16:13)
    3) It acts as a discerner and intercessor (romans 8:26)

In John 14:16, Jesus says, "I will ask the Father and he will give you another counselor to be with you forever - the spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him because it neither sees him or knows him. But you who know him, for he lives with you and will be in you"....

In Acts 1:8 Jesus says, "But you will receive power when the holy spirit comes on you"...

Acts 15:13 says, "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the holy spirit."

I corinthians 14:21 says, "Through men of strange tongues and through the lips of foreigners, I will speak to this people but even then they will not listen to me", says the Lord".

When you are filled with the holy spirit and you speak in tongues, you are speaking your mind to God. Basically, When you pray out loud, satan is able to hear you, and your deepest fears. When you speak in tongues, you are speaking secrets to God. Only God knows what you are saying because he has given you the gift.
    1 peter 1:12

"It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves, but you, when they spoke of the things that have now been told you by those who have preached the gospel to you by the holy spirit sent from heaven. Even angels long to look into these things"

satan is a fallen angel, and since the angels cannot speak in tongues, neither can he. He cannot interpret what your saying.

2. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

ba no ka he ta no ka ba ma na me ke ha to
    na re ke he ba fa da er oh no de fa ha ge gu i
    ah der da no pop ap pa....

3. sky_pink

sky_pink er... what's the time?

I honestly can't see how you came to these last few conclusions.

4. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

ok i scanned read it, i know people who speak in tounges that are the least christian ive ever met, would you say they where faking it?

s

5. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I corinthians -"For anyone who speaks in a tongue, does not speak to men, but to God".

and back to the end of 1 peter 12 when it says, "even angels long to look into these things". Satan is fallen angel, he was cast out of Heaven for trying to claim that he was equal to God.

Mark 16:17 says, "And these signs shall follow them that believe, In my name they will drive out demons, they will speak with new tongues".

Luke 10:19 says, "Behold, I give you power over all of the enemy"

God said he has given us a gift of tongues, to speak to him. It doesn't say men, it doesn't say angels. It says Him.

As far as people who seem anything less than christian....
    Luke 11:13 says, "If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give the holy spirit to those who ask him". Anyone can have the holy ghost. However, just because someone has it, doesn't mean they are saved. If someone is baptized, filled with the holy ghost, but is still wordly, then they have truth, but they aren't putting it into practice.

Acts 11:17, "So if God gave them the same gift as he gave us, who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who am I to think that I could oppose God."

One day, they will have to answer to God.

6. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

der god ,

kqkqma~ te om red
    unuu ska~iii
    s~undu...i

! sg;e

it's a good time , now , to
    explore this language
    of 'tongues' because , christian ,
    we need a peace language
    that's good unto god and one another .