The Holographic Universe

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by rjhangover, Nov 18, 2017.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Holographic cosmology is fatally flawed, along with String theory and classical approaches in general. For example, one theory is that one of our 3 dimensions is actually a holographic projection from another universe, and our universe is actually 2 dimensional. The flaw with this, and classical mechanics in general, is that 2 dimensions are not enough to support awareness as we know it, and the evidence accumulating all suggests that classical logic and physics are ultimately tautological. For example, String theorists have encountered a series of theories which each suggest an ever larger number of String theories, beyond the astronomical in both number and complexity, can provide an even more compelling model. As if nature were tweaking their noses, and suggesting they give the beauty of classical logic a break, and work on their sense of humor.

Irminsul likes this.
  2. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

This is based on the assumption that awareness is limited to physical reality. It is not a whole lot different than the question, 'How can a physical object exist within a hologram?'

It makes much more sense that a holographic universe be phenomenalist in nature. Then we no longer need another universe, or have to rely on crazy fabrications to allow our world as we know it to fit into a holographic format...

3. wooleeheron

But that's the problem, is that it isn't an objective choice. It only makes sense from a human perspective, and not a logical one. Holographic theories are all based on supersymmetry and, if they can't provide a reasonable explanation for supersymmetry, then they are tautological. So far, the evidence suggests that everything is tautological and self-contradictory in extreme contexts and that the evidence to support this is already becoming a landslide. Modern science has difficulty admitting they are ultimately spouting gibberish, that just happens to be extraordinarily useful, and makes them a shitload of money.

The implication is that the laws of physics are what they are because, if they were any different, nobody would be aware to debate the issue. Its a humorous interpretation of John Wheeler's "Participatory Anthropic Principle" suggesting consensual reality. If you had no faith in your own memories, awareness, and personal journey, you could not have these things. John Wheeler famously declared, "A black hole has no hair! Gravity without mass! Time is what prevents everything from happening at once! There is no law except the law there is no law! The Law of No Law!"

He was one of my childhood heroes, right up there with Mr Spock and Isaac Asimov. He had more personal integrity than half a dozen physicists. And, despite his personal beliefs, petitioned the academy of science to remove research in ESP from their ranks, insisting there was no evidence. His colleague, Richard Feynman said, "Some say Wheeler's lost his mind in his later years, but he's always been that way."

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  4. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

"There is no law"? "The law of no law"?..................everything is bound by the law. Without the laws of physics you don't exist.

5. wooleeheron

The "Law of No Law" can be thought of as the ground state, the state everything defaults to and below which nothing can ever go. Usually I give people the example of gravity. On the one hand, the magical action-at-a-distance of gravity makes little sense to us and, on the other hand, gravity and inertia describe all the possible types of motion in the world around us. Meaning, we perceive the magical action-at-a-distance of gravity because motion as we know it would impossible if we did not. A study of the big bang concluded that without gravity, the universe would have quickly dispersed after the big bang while, without inertia, it would have re-collapsed in short order. Thus, as far as anyone can tell, there is no reason for gravity's existence except we would not be around to ask the question if it did not exist.

A simulation of a Mott transition, from quantum mechanical to classical, indicated that the big bang was "just right", and not too hot or too cold. In other words, it provides no explanation whatsoever for why the laws of physics are what they are. Donald Hoffman is a Game theorist who came to the same conclusion about the human mind and brain. He spent ten years studying all the neurological evidence and running one computer simulation after another, only to conclude that if the human mind and brain had ever resembled anything remotely like reality, we would already be extinct as a species. Evidence like this is progressively turning into a landslide, with theoretical physicists now complaining that the number of patently absurd theories which appear to fit the evidence, has become a mountain overnight.

A mathematical examination of classical logic and Newtonian mechanics concluded that an arbitrary number of simple metaphors can be used to explain all of classical logic and physics with equal accuracy. In other words, if you want, you can argue that everything is composed of super balls, springs, strings, wavy gravy, or Lime Jell-O for all I know, and nobody can ever prove you wrong. That is, according to classical logic and physics, while the evidence of quantum mechanics persists after over a century of efforts to explain the effect.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  6. Mountain Valley Wolf

Yes, the problem is that it becomes subjective. But isn't this the craziness that Einstein put into the equation---everything is relative to every subjective point in the universe (save for the universal constant, but that too becomes a bit weird...).

For me, the supersymmetry is found in the superpositioned reality of the wave/field. I define this as a nonphysical reality, in that I define physicality as something that has a specific position in space-time. Then the Universal Constant, which defines the rate of time, also presents the perception of 3 dimensionality (this is because the when and where of everything that has a position is encoded into the probabilities of quantum information). Physical time then, is only the present---when everything within that moment has a position.

In order for there to be a concensus, there must be shared information that is transcendent to physicality. And for that matter, even the actual objects, the physical reality, we believe to exist on a concensual basis, need not actually exist beyond a mere shadow---just enough to generate the phenomena of that reality.

7. wooleeheron

Relativity contradicts itself, expressing the Simultaneity Paradox, and even General Relativity falls apart in extreme contexts with, for example, space-time being much flatter than the theory proposes on the largest scales and it falling apart altogether when examining a black hole.

Elysian Fields of Dreams are the basis of modern Standard Theory which, again, merely indicates the theory falls apart in extreme contexts, and they have pushed it about as far as it can go. They are the modern equivalent of aether theories, which reached the point of absurdity before Einstein showed them what part of the confusion is about. The aether theories merely got more elaborate and relied on increasingly unrealistic properties, as if they were merely pushing all the inconsistencies in their equations into their models of the aether.

For me, the particle-wave duality expresses yin and yang, with a double slit experiment demonstrating how space and time exchange identities, because reality without dreams is just somebody's nightmare, while dreams without reality are someone else's fantasy. Note, this also provides a natural explanation for the Quantum Observer Effect, and explains why quantum effects are not merely a question of size. It is the same essential assertion that 42 is as good an explanation as any other, and is testable.

It makes nonlinear temporal dynamics the easiest way to approach the subject, but its not all about time, but simply due to the fact that we are so biased to viewing time as merely a machine, that its like a flood light on the subject.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Mountain Valley Wolf likes this.
  8. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

If you read the HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE, it says that magic DOES exist, which can't be explained....like for instance, The GOD PARTICLE in every atom that gives everything its mass, without which nothing does exist. But there is order to everything all the way down to the particles of atoms. The truth stands up to all challenges....untruth ceases to exist. The function of evil is only the illusion of destruction, because energy can't be destroyed. So evil must cease to exist, leaving no doubt of what is real.

9. wooleeheron

Many have claimed our universe is truly lowbrow, and our only purpose for existing is to fight all the crap constantly rolling downhill. Personally, I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints myself. If that were purpose of life, I'd spit in God's face and tell them I'm not amused at what they do for entertainment. If the One Greater Truth is not self-evident, then I'll stick with my own.

10. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Sounds just like Trump, when he said he would have rushed into the school, even if he didn't have a gun. Sure can't wait to see it.

11. wooleeheron

Chicken flocks reflect the simplest possible networking systems logic, you can't get any simpler without it devolving into complete chaos, and the same networking systems logic describes classical mechanics. Next generation computers should be able to describe classical logic and mechanics as merely reflecting one quarter of the truth and being indivisible from fuzzy logic and quantum mechanics. My specialty is the metaphoric systems logic, which can treat its own logic as merely another variable, with no intrinsic meaning or value.

A Goldilock's Principle of Murphy's Law rules the universe, with inertia embodying perpetual motion and gravity the ability of anything to come to stop. An electron will teleport out of a box that is too small to hold two electrons, because an electron with inertia that doesn't always appear to be moving is a contradiction greater than it teleporting out of the box. In doing so, it conflates the identity of what is space and time, random and fated, always leaving it up to the observer to decide for themselves.

12. Mountain Valley Wolf

Having identified the God Particle we know that it actually doesn't provide that much mass---in fact, as I recall, it was rather a small amount of mass. That leaves gluons to provide the rest of the mass, but gluons are zero-mass particles, which means it must be an energy-mass conversion.

By the way, speaking of universal laws that don'e exist---I mentioned the Universal Constant, or Speed of Light as providing both time and 3-dimensionality (or space). But this law is broken in the case of entangled particles. But then if it is simply something that is encoded in Quantum Information in order to maintain reality as we know it, it could just as easily not be encoded.

13. I'm starting to realize that all times exist simultaneously, like overarching collectives of consciousness of certain eras. I don't think our past is so linear...I think that times can just overwhelm times, or co-exist.

Like, architecture. These are real, concrete pasts that permeate the present. But it goes even deeper than this. Time is sort of like an architecture, I think. I just think it is the most interesting thing. Do you ever just walk around your town or whatever and appreciate the architecture, think of the little dramas that occurred here and there...the major dramas? The ghosts of the past? I just love it. I love museums...wish I could go to every museum in the USA.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Of course I do that, Europe and especially these parts of Germany are enriched in history. But that doesn't mean I believe in a holographic universe. Lol.

A lot of historical archeticure in Germany is actually modded from the Saxon era. You may look at a village and all the A frame houses with their external wood patterns. Well this isn't a coincidence and in many cases still today, the same patterns exist by accident but what the patterns and structures actually are, are bound runic inceptions. Building your property out of the RĂșnar shapes was a common trait of old German and Norse architecture. Had nothing to do with pretend science concepts like a holographic universe lol.

15. wooleeheron

The arrow of time and the laws of physics can be considered the defaults, because neither a random, backwards, nor fated universe makes more than superficial sense from a human perspective. We perceive the arrow of time because the alternatives make almost no sense whatsoever and, if our universe were different, nobody would be aware to debate the issue. Note, this requires the fewest assumptions, merely assuming the One Greater Truth is self-evident, and places mathematics on the firm foundations of Intuitionistic mathematics.

That's the joke that is driving governments and corporations nuts, the biggest pie-in-the-face in the history of humanity, while they are notorious for their stunted senses of humor. Believe it or not, they've been bugging Taoist masters in the hope they will crack jokes, and mathematicians have asked me to write nonsense for them.

16. Mountain Valley Wolf

Reminds me of South Park's Mormon Heaven----where all they did was make popcorn all day, and everyone was all goody-goody.

Personally, I think a religious heaven would include a place for the Goddess cults----that's where I would hang out----you know, sex with harlots, all the women are always topless, lots of ritual sex...

wooleeheron likes this.
  17. wooleeheron

There are many ways to describe the universe, including as "Cartoonish Homogenized Heaven and Hell" or, yin-yang push-pull-run-in-circles-scream-and-shout dynamics that every toddler and puppy dog adore. Mother Nature's sense of humor is mindless, like a toddlers. Taoists say, "The humor of the toddler is the hardest to master" because, of course, "You are the toddler dummy!" That's why I always tell kids that I merely have sometimes boring facts to teach them, while they have much more fun and interesting things to teach me.

Once, when I was explaining stellar evolution to my five year old sister while I carried her on my shoulders, she look down at me and said, "I'm only five years old damnit!" The truth is, physics and astronomy never interested her much. I sang my daughter to sleep every night pacing the floor for two years until, one night when she didn't want to sleep, she lifted her head and looked me in the eye and said, "Stop That!" My son is embarrassed when I tell the story of how he was born. We all inherited the Socratic tradition from my father, who has the gift of sparkling laughter, the infectious kind nobody can resist. We yell at him to stop laughing so we can continue arguing and, of course, that makes him laugh all the harder. Darwin had no sense of humor and, obviously, never met my family.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I dunno man I mean I've been around kids before and the only thing they ever taught me was that I don't want one. Heh. Maybe that's the only answer I ever really needed. Maybe they did teach me something! :tearsofjoy:

19. wooleeheron

You are the Toddler baby, suck it up! Get away from the computer, go outside and play.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  20. Mountain Valley Wolf

That's very interesting. I have a similar take on the double-slit experiment---as you can gather from the fact that I have defined the wave/field as nonphysical. I place the wave-field in the 4th dimension, which commonly is referred to as time. I argue that time is how we perceive the 4th dimension from our physical perspective, but it is really the dimension of the wave-field or the superpositioned reality. And, talking about dreams, in order to accomodate a nonphysical reality, Einstein had to incorporate 'imaginary' numbers, so there is a deep analogy here between dream (or a mental state) and reality-----the old mind-body duality, which equated to a physical-nonphysical duality.

This does not mean that the double slit experiment is actually exchanging realities between the nonphysical and the physical. Instead we are witnessing an expression of phenomena representing physical and non physical realities. In other words, I argue that we are not actually seeing a wave in the double-slit experiment. When the wave hits the screen, decoherence creates particles of the wave and the screen, whereupon we see the interference pattern---particles expressing the phenomena of the wave. In the other case, where an observation or measurment of a particle has taken place----then the wave hits the screen and once again decoherence creates a particle of the wave and the screen indicating a reflection of the double slits----particles expressing the phenomena of particles. In either case then, there has to be particles for it to be physically present.

Of course this is an overly simplistic explanation---for example, the screen itself is a wave, until the point of decoherence, and the wave does not hit the screen because there is no vector in the superpositioned state----the wave was already there in either case. Everything simply appeared in physicality based on whether or not there was an observation/measurement. If yes, than the phenomena of the particle. If no, then the phenomena of the wave.

For us, time is like a floodlight, because that is how we experience reality. As I indicated above---I argue that physicality exists only in the present. There is no physical past, no physical future, only the present. Nothing else exists. Time as we know it is therefore a human construct. The mind transcends physicality, and therefore it connects one moment of now to the next moment of now. This succession of Nows occurs at the speed of light. Space-time then actually represents space-present---but it is experienced subjectively and relatively from each point within that space-present, and therefore could only be understood in terms of space-time-----because any distance will always equate to a light-distance.

But Einstein gave us a clue to a superpositioned reality when he demonstrated that at the speed of light time and space become zero. A wave of light leaves a star 400 million light years away simultaneously to its arrival on earth (400 million years later), and is simultaneously at the big bang, and the death of the universe. We could therefore argue that the 4th dimension---which lies within the light-speed barrier---represents all of time. But to represent all of time is the same as to represent zero time, or no time. The 4th dimension then represents absolute potentiality. Physicality on the other hand, represents actuality. Both the mind and quantum information embody an intentional object. There is a choice---a probability, an intention, and this manifests as an actuality. This is why the arrow of time goes one way---because it ends in actuality for each present moment of now.