The hollow and dying right

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Balbus, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I’m increasingly of the opinion that the US right have no arguments or policies, having no actually reasons for why they want power beyond just wanting it.

It was always thin on the ground but these days its seem virtually non-existent, I used to see a lot of the neoliberal/free market argument been aired but that became increasingly rare after the financial crash in 2008 and has gone the same way as the fiscal conservative and trickle down argument. I still see the small government argument been aired but its not even half hearted (1-5% hearted?) and has so little so it that it folds as quickly as a house of cards in a hurricane.

These days the rights only arguments are often pathetic and even hypocritical attacks on a modernity they reject a rejection of the future for a mythical 1950’s Americana that whitewashes over all the social and economic problems, and bigotry, that were so prevalent in that era.

The cry from the right seems to be why can’t the US be more like the 1950’s and the cry that comes back from, blacks, gays, women and a large number of the 99% is that they don’t want that economic model or bigotry back.

It’s said that it takes time for political and social change to come about and that political grouping that have lived passed their relevance still retain a legacy of support and power

It’s just a pity that the current right who have so clearly lost their relevance could do so much damage with the legacy of power they have left in them.

Tulsa likes this.
  2. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

53% of Republicans still think that Trump won the 2020 election. Only 26% of Americans identify as Republicans, so that equals about 14% of Americans who think Trump is still president.
    40% of Republicans approve of violence to achieve their political objectives; i.e., domestic terrorism. That's 10.4% of the population; a small percentage, but one that represents 34.5 million people.
    A minority, sure; but the Nazis were a minority party, too; holding only 107 of the 577 seats in the Reichstag in 1930.
    Republicans hold 50 of 100 seats in the Senate, despite representing 40.5 million less voters than their Democratic counterparts.
    Don't count your eggs 'til they're in the pudding.

Tishomingo likes this.
  3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Piobaire

I very much take your point

It’s not so much that I don’t realise the current right are not powerful it’s just that they have nothing of worth to give or legitimacy in having it.

~Zen~ likes this.
  4. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

The only thing that trickled down was piss on the lower and middle class folks.

I was gonna go off on a racism rant there for a while, but decided to error on the side of reason...