the hobbit

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by Suib, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Vana

Vana Member

I don't see how the Silmarillion isn't enjoyable. It's incredibly thorough and complex. Maybe people just don't know how to use the brain-pan anymore...? Because it really isn't a difficult read. I can not fathom how one might find it to be so.

If anything, I find LoTR less interesting then the Sil. You do, however, get Tolkien's fantastic and florid descriptions and get the sense of how in love he was with nature. Of course, it's as blatant in the Sil, as well.

2. Stabby

Stabby Member

I didn't like the droning monotone narrative or that there was way too much detail that I didn't care about. I tend to be romantically minded and The Silmarillion is just about the most classically minded book I've ever read.

3. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

I read The Hobbit, and decided not to continue the series. It seems like the kind of stuff I normally love, but it just wasn't my thing.

4. Stabby

Stabby Member

I just finished the Fellowship Of The Ring. Pretty damn good. I definitely shouldn't have had a prejudice against Tolkien based on The Silmarillion. He's a magnificent storyteller. The first book was a little dull in some parts because of the lack of action but from watching the movies I know that it was just a set-up for the epic second and third books.

5. bluflame

bluflame Member

the beginning is the hardest part to get by, not gonna lie its somewhat boring but trust me it gets better, it just starts slow.

6. Stabby

Stabby Member

I don't know man. I found it REALLY REALLY REALLY dull. I'm nearly finished the LOTR trilogy and it was much better but he still includes way too much detail that I find to be superfluous. I understand why he does this and what the appeal is, but his style just isn't tailored to someone like me.

7. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

I love the Silmarillion!!!!! Of course I love all of the Tolkien I have
    read:)
    hugs and peace,
    Delfynasa

8. MyImagination

MyImagination Member

One word: EPIC. The Hobbit was an absolutely fantastic book. The intro is a little slow, but it picks up. I haven't read the other LOTR books but I have heard from other people that The Hobbit is the best out of the series.

9. Surrealistic starship

Surrealistic starship Member

I've read it so many times! I like Bilbo's adventures.

10. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble Member

A
    Overall I found the Hobbit to br enjoyable , but the reader has , initially, to endure a lot of childlike prose.

The Hobbit was written as a childrens' book. Tolkien says the idea came out of nowhere when he was correcting exam papers and he turned on over and wrote "In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit", with no idea about what a hobbit was or that it would even become a story. In later years he regretted the childlike narrative he used. The part where they first reach Rivendell is, in my opinion, particularly cringeworethy. You can see, however, as the story approaches it's end that the prose style changes as he starts to realise that this could fit in with his whole mythology, which he began with the Silmarillion. This book does improve as it progresses which is something you dont normally see. Normally it is the same prose style throughout.

The Silmarillion was begun much earlier but not published in his lifetime due to his lack of time and perfectionism. I see some people are finding it hard going due probably to the high prose style and lack of action. To those people I would suggest starting at chapter 18 , where the action really starts. After this each chapter tends to be a self contained story. If you prefer a bit more background info, then start at chapter 13, where the elves return to middle earth.

11. psychedelicg1rl

psychedelicg1rl Member

Omgosh, my fav series, is the lord of the rings series, and the hobbit I read first, it made a big difference, bc you had that background. I loved them all!! I read silmarillium, it was good too, a little difficult at times, but I like the challenge.

12. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

hurray for psychedelicg1rl!!
    peace
    Delfynasa

13. floyden

floyden Member