The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by BellaGitana17, Jun 24, 2004.

1. cozmo_g

cozmo_g Is Out Of This World

The 'question', as it turns out, is: 'what is?...'
    ...after some careful reconsideration, and out of not wanting to spoil it for everyone...although I DO KNOW the answer, I will not reveal it!

2. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

'IS', is the answer to everything if you truly think about it. Ok, it ain't owt to do with HGG lol, but its just there :).

3. wildfire

wildfire Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i appologise for the inconvienece....

4. dances in pajamas

dances in pajamas strange little girl

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is phenomenal.

I have a group of friends in which "42" is the universal answer to everything, whether it be "What are you doing Saturday?" to "What's the capital of Bermuda?".

5. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Member

I will NEVER watch that movie! !

The books are my bible, I regularly dip into them for a good laugh!! The man was a genius!!

6. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

agree, the ORIGINAL is like a bible, of the bable fish. the remake SUKKS.

7. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

although i have never seen the blasphoumous remake, i live by the original x x

8. duuuuurp

duuuuurp Member

i came to this forum tomake a thread about the same book! i was only a few years late ,anyway, i loved the books and im rereading all of them now

i like the part in the restaurant at the end of the universe when they are talking to a cave man an it said, "Urghhhh rurgh, grahhhh; grohh grohh urghh urgh!" i find that hilarious.

9. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

I've read 3 of them...
    and the movie kind of sucked, but I loved the dolphin's singing :)

Someone mentioned the movie "babel" and it made me think of the babel fish but no one knew what I was talking about >_<

10. TammyB

TammyB Member

i absolutely adored the book and the movie ruined it. i saw it with one person who had read the books and one who hadn't. The one who hadn't remained blissfully unaware of the terror the rest of us were having. He ended up quite likinig the film. The reader and I wanted to cry. Dolphins? Singing dolphins? Oh man. Oh that hurts.

11. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

I love the film, i never read the book though.

although my brother read the book and then watched the film and he loved both.

12. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

Read the books for sure and watch the original TV series, then hopefully like lots of us, you'll hate the modern remake movie.

13. philipsburggirl

philipsburggirl Member

Just wanted to make sure everybody knows that another book is coming out!! It's being written by Eoin Colfer, the guy who wrote Artemis Fowl.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7619828.stm

I adored all the books, the BBC series AND the modern movie.

14. BrandO84

BrandO84 Member

I've been a major fan of Adams' series since my friend introduced it to me right before the 2005 movie came out. I've read through the ultimate omnibus twice since then. The first three books in the series of fucking fantastic and I can't help but laugh out loud at Adams' humor. The fourth book was all right, though the drastic switch from spastic humor/adventures to Arthur's pursuing of romance totally threw me off. As for Mostly Harmless, I was pretty let down. Otherwise, it definately ranks as one of my favorite book series ever!

Also, the BBC television series was great; I just wish they had continued on past the events of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. The 2005 movie? Meh, it was all right.

15. RoseW

RoseW Member

One of the best books ever, funny as hell. Love it.
    'I'd far rather be happy than right any day.'

16. BrandO84

BrandO84 Member

WTF is Artemis Fowl? :eek:

17. mastercylinder

mastercylinder Banned

hitchikers guide to the galaxy? all i need is a towel right and i have a big thumb?i think i read that years ago a hippie cult classic--that now i have to reread--great thing about memory loss thats going to be a new book for me to read although i know i read it b4---Enders game was an oldie that i just reread cas i forgot it---i loved all my sciencefiction and so much of it came true or is coming true--nothing like a good book and nothing wrong with science fiction;) and cool thing about young nephew is that i got to read all the Artimis Fowl books cas hes a comp geek and a sci fi freak--the young turning on the old gotta love it-keep an open mind

18. SlimSunny

SlimSunny Member

I picked up the More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide, which was the compendium published before Mostly Harmless was released. I read it and LOVED it! I've heard bad things about Mostly Harmless, so I haven't bothered with that one.

What I love about the books is the way he mixes sci-fi with humor, but also includes some really deep, almost scary, stuff. It isn't just all goofy, impossible things happening to an otherwise normal guy. There is some really important stuff going on.

19. Miluiel

Miluiel Guest

I really liked books 1-4 of the series, I wasn't over keen on "Mostly Harmless" though, Apparantly Douglas Adams had been going through a bad time when he wrote it and it comes through in the writing.

Has anyone read the new book by Eoin Colfer yet?

20. Sam101

Sam101 Member

I not only read the book, I also have the movie and I also PLAYED the ORIGNAL INFOCOM game.. It was AWESOME...

This has got to be one of the best books ever written in my opinion, and well, the movie didn't really live up to the book, but the infocom game was priceless!

I guess I liked the book because it was just so perfect for when I read it.. Feeling like an outcast wanting to get away, and then this book comes out, and well, you know what happens.. Try to get away from the BS here on Earth and it turns out the BS earth is going to be destroyed but the BS is a UNIVERSAL thing lol...

My favorite part of the movie was the dolphins singing "so long and thanks for all the fish" LOL... Classic. I don't understand why it wasn't more popular...