The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by BellaGitana17, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Jonas

Jonas Member

The Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy? i'm only about 5 chapters in, its.....interesting lol. just wondering if anyone else read it, it seems like it'll be good.

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

I just bought the Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide (All books in the series) off Amazon... cannot wait to read it.

3. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So long and thanmks for all the fish is a good read too, i loved the entire series...want to reread it now!

4. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Ive read and reread the entire series, including young zaphod plays it safe. His other book, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, is not as funny, but is still in typical Adams style, a very clever book indeed.

Love the fundas like the bistromatic drive and the total perspective vortex (and why Zaphod survived it).

5. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

fairy-cake... :p

6. dweezil111

dweezil111 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

42 is all i can say ;)

7. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

My favorite part has to be where Ford and Arthur Try to ride Perfectly Normal Beasts out of town and end up buying a pink spaceship...

8. Chris L

Chris L Member

"How many roads must a man walk down?"

Is that from the first book or the second book? I'm about 10 pages away from finishing the third book. It's not as good as the other two I've read so far. I hope the last two are better than this one....though this one is very good. (the third book)

9. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Lemme warn you, they arent.

The part about the village, the sandwich maker, old thrashbarg and the perfectly normal beasts is absolutely fab though.

10. velvet

velvet Banned

I think the first two books were the best.. but all his stuff is great so..

11. Celine

Celine Member

I really need to read that book, can't find it in the libraries and I'm flat broke:(

12. HomerJ

HomerJ Member

An old favorite indeed... I lent the hardcover of the Ultimate Guide to a friend, but just got audio disks of the old BBC radio series version.

The trailer to the new movie can be viewed at:
    http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/

13. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

In Case your interested, There's a movie interpretation of THGTTG coming out soon.

14. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

Cinnamom sez:I can't see a movie being good, but who knows, we may be happily surprised.
    Video kid sez:I love the whole series but my fav part is in the 5th book,'Mostly Harmless'. The conclusion is really cool.:) :)

15. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

The US movie will be crap I reckon, ( like they ruined Dr Who, but then again, Dr who is ruined again now by the BBC + turned it into Eastenders, sigh !! ), seeing as Douglas didn't get to fully see over it :( . But yeah, the conclusion book ' Mostly Harmless ' was a laugh :)

16. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

I was always soo horrible at the game.. I always died in the bar... I couldnt remember what I was supposed to do...

It is a great Book... I cant wait to see the movie.. Hopefully It wont be dissapointing!

17. hippychrome

hippychrome Member

Like in all games, CHEAT he he :) I did on the ZX Speccy ;)

18. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

i loved that series too.

19. Vulva Queen

Vulva Queen Member

if you're not into sci-fi you'll like it too, it's so hilarious! the best series EVER MADE.

20. Welsh Werecat

Welsh Werecat Member

I love it to pieces, got the omnibus edition with all 5 books in it. Looking forward to the movie, as Douglas Adams had started on the screenplay for it before his untimely death.

As for it not following the continuity, well, none of the different mediums of the story (be it video game, tv series, book, radio show, etc) are all different in their own ways.
    So, yeah, looking forward to it. Bill Nighy and Alan Rickman? Weeee!