The Hippie Handbook

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by LaurelBayTree, Nov 3, 2004.

1. gnombient

gnombient Member

Living on the Earth is a great book, it's one of my favorites! Check out the Woodstock Craftsman's Manual (in 2 volumes) for more artsy stuff similar to what's presented in Bay Laurel's book. Ernest Callenbach, the author of Ecotopia, has also written a few books on simple living that are pretty hip...

2. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

Yesterday, I got the "The Hippie Handbook" in the mail. I thought it was hilarious :)

3. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Had to merge. Please search forum before posting thread.

4. Earthwalker

Earthwalker Member

After reading about it here, I went out this weekend and bought The Hippie Handbook. I love it. It has some cool craft ideas (like making sand candles) and is very humorous. Also saw Living On The Earth but didn't have enough money with me to get that also.
    Peace.

5. bobbyellis

bobbyellis Member

You know, I always wanted to learn how to tye-dye shirts!, sounds like a really interesting book! Will check it out. Just know I'm gonna like it. Thanks for the post.

6. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

I bought it in summer. It got a few laughs outta me. My Friend traded it from me for some insence. He carries it in his back pocket, all the time. :D

7. WildChild12843

WildChild12843 Member

Wow, I really have to read this! :) How to amble and drive like a hippy, sounds great. Thanks for the post.

8. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

I gotta' buy both them books. They sound great.

9. Bargain Junki

Bargain Junki Member

AHHH!! i love that book! very awesome...

10. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

I got it this morning....it's real good....

I found it funny but at the same time I'd do all the activities it mentions.
    The pictures are great :D

11. pheonix

pheonix Member

my grandparents bought me this book when we went to borders one time. i loved it. i take it everywhere. my parents, who are hippies, love it too. there are so many cool things in that book. it's amazing!

12. shaggydemo

shaggydemo Member

hey thoes books sound cool do u think they have them at a hastings or should i try like an old book store or maby a library but there isnt 1 in this town well any way thanks and ill find it some way lol bye

13. SunrayDustShower

SunrayDustShower Member

I think that maybe you could find them in a hastings. its a fairly new book. i love it. it emphasises happiness and creativity and I think that Chelsea Snow is one of the coolest people for writing the book. i know how to macrame. and make "oregono" brownies. i already knew how to make those. ;)

14. TreeFiddy

TreeFiddy Member

I was surprised to find this in Borders one day, I had already heard about it from someone. One part I thought was funny was "How to spot an undercover cop". The only ones I remember are:

Does he have a billy club?

Is he carrying a copy of this book?

Is he arresting people?

15. pheonix

pheonix Member

ooo another way to spot an undercover cop was "is he smoking catnip?"

16. Duskbydawn

Duskbydawn Member

Ohh I so want that book now. Im just gonna have to wait a while till I can gather up some money. Thats gonna be the first thing on my list. :)

17. mystik_lilac

mystik_lilac Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I bought this book off ebay. It came in the mail Saturday and I finished it Saturday! It's a short read...but a hoot! I thought the "oregano" brownies was hysterical. I love how she had to refer to STUFF as "oregano". Loves it! So funny. It reminded me much of my childhood and my parents. Definately recommend!

18. Wasteland

Wasteland Member

I used to have this book, but I gave it to a friend of mine. It's pretty good. I like the part about hitchiking.

19. Yakima

Yakima Member

I just bought the book, started reading it earlier today and finished it now. What a funny book :) I really like it. As someone else said, it is almost like a bible :p

Peace

20. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

I just got this book at a discount store in Brighton. I love it - on the surface it reads like an affectionate satire of the whole hippie lifestyle, but you sense a yearning for those old ideals that had her parents living "underground" on a subsistence farm in Iowa, so her dad could escape the draft. I'm tempted to start quoting my favourite bits but I'd hardly know when to stop. I'll just say that the illusrator Lia Miternique deserves a lot of credit, her drawings perfectly match the style of the text. Love the picture of the hippie up a tree.

One quibble would be the section on slang - she overlooks the fact that hippies didn't invent all these words, some like "dig" and "hip" itself were taken from the jazz scene. You sometimes read, I don't know how true it is, that these words originated in the Wolof language of West Africa and came across with the slaves. For instance "hepikat" meant "one whose eyes are open", which turned into "hepcat", "hip cat" and so on.