'The Happy Hooker'?

Discussion in 'Erotic Books' started by Flight From Ashiya, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Flight From Ashiya

Flight From Ashiya Senior Member

Has anyone read 'The Happy Hooker' ? by Xaviera Hollander released in 1972.
    She was a top-call-girl Madam in New York in the late sixties-early seventies.This salacious autobiography was one of the first hard-core erotic books to top the New York bestseller list.
    I read the book back in the 1970s & again a few years ago.It is one of the 'horniest' books i've ever read!.:p

2. woodcat

woodcat Senior Member

Yes, read it when I was a teenager. I actually managed to get it from the library. I remember it was the hotest book I'd read untill then!

3. Lady of the Freaks

Lady of the Freaks Senior Member

4. The Scribe

The Scribe Member

I read “The Happy Hooker” shortly after it came out. I thought then and still think that it is an unrealistically idealized description of a “profession” if you will that for most of the women in it is horrible and life shortening. The book did not arouse me in the least.

5. unbound

unbound Guest

I read it too and there was another one as well. They were both amazing.

6. hannahannahannah

hannahannahannah What's a Palindrome?

I also read it when it first came out, not life altering in anyway - just entertaining. Though it was pretty risque` for the times. Right up there with Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex and The Joy of Sex.

7. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

I recently read "Xaviera", by Hollander, which is a sort of sequel to "Happy Hooker". At some point, Hollander does say that a woman who chooses this vocation should try to make as much money as she can in a short time, and then get out.

My understanding (and I've little first hand knowledge) of the subject is that many women in the sex trade are controlled by pimps or by an addiction, and that their lives aren't all that happy. I wouldn't want anyone I care about to work in the sex trade.

8. adamsan

adamsan Member

9. The Scribe

The Scribe Member

Throughout the world millions of underage girls are trapped into prostitution and exist in conditions of virtual slavery.

10. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

There is a good movie out, "Human Trafficking (2005)", starring Mira Sorvino, Don Sutherland and others. It shows the terror and brutality of sexual slavery. Don't watch it on a full stomach. Sorvino plays an American Immigration cop who goes undercover to bust a New York sex slave brothel run by Russian mobsters.

11. Saul50

Saul50 Members

Yes, I read it. It's an excellent book. Xaviera Hollander, an intelligent and attractive woman, tells stories about her experiences. She had a brothel in New York in the early 70's. Many famous men frequented her house, including authorities . She was a kind madame and treated well her clients and her employees girls and she was not involved in human traffic.
    I guess the problems she had with the Police were related to law banning anyone from owning and maintaining a brothel in New York.
    She is now retired and live in her country: Holland.

12. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The book made a huge splash when it came out. I never read it but I did see the movie starring Lynn Redgrave. It was a total piece of shit!