The Greek Islands

Discussion in 'Travel Talk' started by ibiza, May 30, 2018.

1. ibiza

ibiza Visitor

3CreteW07a75_23.96737E 35.42170N.jpg
    This is a satellite image of the west coast of the island of Crete in Greece. The land of magic and mystery. It isn't what it was 40 years ago, but ,never mind, go, seek and you will find.....but go in the off season and head for the mountains. It is the crossroads of the world. Paleochora, a fishing village on the southwest coast was the destination of choice for overland travelers, nomadic vagabonds and assorted wandering sadhus for many years, back in the 1960s and 1970s. It was pure magic. The zeitgeist was really something to behold.

Carey, Joni Mitchell, 1970

Attached Files:

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I had my best holiday ever in Greece. On the Island of Leros. There is something magical about these Islands. Something in the air. I would love to go back.

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

No it was a LONG time ago. Before the economic and migrant crisis. I hear the tourist sector is still quite good though, because they need the money.

4. candys

candys Visitor

It looks amazing. I'm actually going to Crete this summer. I've already book cheap tickets here to Heraklion on the end of July. This service offers the lowest price on flights so I saved some money on my trip. I heard so many positive reviews about this Greece. It has amazing sailing destinations.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2018
  5. Sparkle Princess

Sparkle Princess Members

Greece is beautiful, I traveled around Santorini, Rhodes, Zante and Turkey.

6. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I have been to Corfu more than ten times !!
    probably my favorite place on earth

7. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

So cool!!!

8. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

If you can get away from the tourists crowds its always a bonus.Travel as far away as possible to experience the "real"greek islands.I've been to a few,Crete,Samos,and Corfu,all lovely but we especially liked Samos.

9. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

Santorini is gorgeous
    I could not believe how beautiful the Aegean Sea was

10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

going to Crete in a couple of months !

11. Selah2

Selah2 Members

Greece is amazing

12. Adoxe

Adoxe Members

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I want to visit Greece! I only have 7 days so was thinking about bus about but then thought I could book the ferries and do it myself. I was just after some advice on if this is best and perhaps cheaper and if anyone can recommend a good itinerary. Is three Islands too many? Has anyone used Car rental in Greece? Any help you could give me would be great!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  13. Iscott55

Iscott55 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I lived in Greece for around a year. My brother and I backpacked Europe in 2001-2003 and ended up staying the longest in Greece. It was absolutely amazing. I will never forget the memories that we experienced

14. OG4real

OG4real Newbie

The Greek islands left wonderful impressions on me. I booked myself an inexpensive hotel. It had everything! The only negative is that the site indicated that canopy tents would be placed near the hotel to hide from the heat and eat in the fresh air, but half of them were broken. It's a matter of chance when you come back from vacation and look whether it's free under a canopy or not!

15. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I had a great time in Greece in 1984. I was on Crete for about a week on the far east end of the island, a small fishing village with a nice beach nearby.