The Grand year of 1969

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Hari, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I know most of the people here were not yet a sparkle of love in the eyes of their parents, but can you find more things that happenned that year?

So many are already well- known like the moon landing, Woodstock, Beatles break-up. For me personally it was a life-changing year, and amazing in more ways than one.

2. Isil

Isil Member

Andy Warhol went to a funeral in 1969.

xD

I love him so much that its utterly significant.

3. Hippie_Jon

Hippie_Jon Noj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969

Some highlights:

January 12 - Led Zeppelin releases their first album, Led Zeppelin.

January 20 - Richard Nixon succeeds Lyndon Johnson as the 37th President of the United States of America.

January 30 - The Beatles give their last public performance, on the roof of Apple Records. The impromptu concert was broken up by the police.

March 25 - John Lennon and Yoko Ono marry in Gibraltar.

May 23 - Tommy, the first of two rock operas by The Who is released.

May 26-June 2: John Lennon and Yoko Ono conduct their Bed-In at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal, Quebec.

June 1 - In Montreal, Canada, Give Peace a Chance is recorded in a famous bed-in for peace by John Lennon. The song is the first single recorded solo by a Beatle, and released under the name Plastic Ono Band, it is still a strong anthem for peace.

June 8 - After CBS cancels the program, the last Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour airs.

July 8 - Vietnam War: The very first U.S. troop withdrawals are made.

July 14 - The film Easy Rider premieres.

July 20 - Project Apollo: The Eagle lands on lunar surface. World watches in awe as Neil Armstrong takes historic first steps on moon.

August 9 - Members of a cult led by Charles Manson murder Sharon Tate, (who was 8 months pregnant), and her friends Abigail Folger, Wojciech Frykowski, and Jay Sebring at Tate and husband Roman Polanski's home in Los Angeles, California. Steven Parent, leaving from a visit to the Polanskis' caretaker, is also killed. More than 100 stab wounds are found on the victims, except for Parent, who had been shot almost as soon as the Manson Family entered the property.

August 10 - The Manson Family kills Leno and Rosemary LaBianca, wealthy businesspeople who live in another section of Los Angeles.

August 15-August 18 - The Woodstock Festival is held in upstate New York, featuring some of the top rock musicians of the era.

September 7 - Monty Python's Flying Circus airs its first episode on the BBC.

September 26 - The Beatles release (Abbey Road)

September 26 - The pilot episode of The Brady Bunch, starring Robert Reed and Florence Henderson, airs on United States TV.

October 16 - The "miracle" New York Mets win the World Series, beating the heavily favored Baltimore Orioles 4 games to 1.

November 19 - Soccer great Pelé scores his 1,000th goal.

December 1 - Vietnam War: The first draft lottery in the United States is held since World War II (on January 4, 1970, the New York Times will run a long article, "Statisticians Charge Draft Lottery Was Not Random").

December 2 - The Boeing 747 jumbo jet makes its debut. It carries 191 people, most of them reporters and photographers, from Seattle, Washington to New York City.

December 4 - Black Panther Party members Fred Hampton and Mark Clark are shot dead in their sleep during a raid by 14 Chicago police officers.

December 6 - The Altamont Free Concert was held at the Altamont speedway in northern California. Hosted by the Rolling Stones, it was an attempt at a "Woodstock West" and is best known for the uproar of violence that occurred. It is viewed by many as the "end of the sixties."

JOn

4. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I need to find out where the stars and planets were that year...something vital was in the air.

It was after all the end of the most world-changing decade.

5. Chris_mate

Chris_mate Member

January 12th was definitely the most important day of 1969 !!!

6. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

For me Fe22 1969, when I abandonded dead-end suburbia...for good

7. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

1969...an interesting year. John and Yoko were a bit too annoying that year. Woodstock, Abbey Road, Led Zeppelin, the Rooftop Concert, etc. were some good moments, though.

I'm personally partial to 1964 and 1967.

8. crazylegs

crazylegs Member

This was written back in the 90s but it's an interesting analysis of the astrology of the 60s:
    Heavens Above!.....Flashing on the sixties
    by Erin Sullivan, Founder Hog Farmer and now full time consultant astrologer.

9. Hari

Hari Art thou Art

I read something back in the eighties about a star seed transmissions..?

I found this link that may be it yet I need to read to see if its the same.
    http://www.earthrainbownetwork.com/Starseed.htm

And:http://www.spiritportal.org/angels.html

And from you link:

The Sixties in the Nineties

Well, the ideals might remain still, but the achievement is a bit different than foreseen! With the current planetary picture in the mid-nineties leading into the millennium, we are not looking at any kind of re-visioning of the sixties. The sixties are then, this is now. The level of angst and violence in the collective consciousness is exactly what lay in the collective unconscious of the 'peace and love' era so famous to us now.

The violation of human ethics, and ecological conditions is emerging in a radical polarization of the so-called youth of the late ninties....their anger has no effect, and thus is particularly dangerous to them. The anger of the sixties did have an effect, whereas today, it simply goes out into the universe, where all the pollutants are sent.

The future, however, with the new generations coming into being, the Pluto in Sagittarius, Neptune in Aquarius babies are the new tribal order. Their function is to find comfort and safety within small collectives - because it will be truly "one world, one mind" and this is not as lovely as it sounds.

It will take decades, possibly centuries for this new manifestation of social and global paradigm shift to 'work' . . . and, when it does, begin to click in around 2035, then, we will see the new order. That is when the Pluto in Sagittarius people will be in power, and that is when the dream of the nineteen-sixties just barely begins to bear fruit. Power to the future!

10. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew Member

1969 was a fine yr.

11. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

besides the whole vietnam thing and bombing of cambodia mlk assasination and the draft lottery it was a alright year

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

i lived in two countries that year...and learned to walk and talk.

13. PSYCHEDELICA MAN

PSYCHEDELICA MAN The psychman

july 3 :brian jones is found dead ---august 24:the movie 'Alice's restaurant' is released ---october 21:jack kerouac dies ---december 4:janis joplin's 'i got them ol' kozmic blues again mama!' is released

14. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Graduated from grammar school.

Entered high school as the first post-woodstock class.

15. gshdgns

gshdgns Member

Great year, July 30, my wife is born.
    [​IMG]
    Peace, Love, Run Naked

16. thehippie_08

thehippie_08 that girl

my dad saw The MC5 and knocked the shit out of some kid for hitting on his then girlfriend. haha.

17. rebelfight420

rebelfight420 Banned

My dad saw elvis in concert and the monkees so he is lucky

18. fanoffloyd1992

fanoffloyd1992 Member

i have no clue what happened in the 60s but i love the music

19. VegOut024

VegOut024 Member

always been me favorite year in the sense of the stuff that happened (minus Nixon, Manson, and the Black Panther shootings). I'm writing a song called 1969.