The Grammar police

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Duncan, May 18, 2004.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Discuss the Hippie Movement, it's roots, it's philosophy, it's leaders, and it's future.

Sorry to be a nag, but do you think you could get rid of the apostrophes in the word its? They don't belong there :(

2. veinglory

veinglory Member

yes please do!

3. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

how will the hippies ever correct the world if we can't even use correct spelling...if hippies are really serious about changing the world, then let's begin with grammar

4. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i agree with the chief whole heartedly.

5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

It is usual in English to begin a sentence with a capital letter. It is a basic of good grammar.

6. spacecadet

spacecadet Guest

The devil takes many forms, grammer nazis are just bores.

7. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

Hey I like it the way it is:

Hippie Movement: it is roots, it is philosophy, it is leaders, it is future.

That's deep, man

:)

Bee

8. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

That's GRAMMAR nazi! No soup for you. [​IMG]

9. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

If you didn't want the appostrophies, why put them there?

And we're not going to have someone go through all the posts to grammatically correct them are we? That'll be annoying.

10. jailmate

jailmate Plantenist

first chane ur own diapper before you tackel other's shit.

chicks hav long hair, but no soul

11. Purple_Burnt_Squirre

Purple_Burnt_Squirre Member

stuff grammer its completly pointless as long as you get the idea who gives a shit I certaintly dont

12. Iron Butterfly

Iron Butterfly Member

Well said!

13. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Member

this is also well said

14. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

grammar smarrer, what a waste of time.. now Creator has to go n fix everyones grammar while there are starving childern in affreeka.. and as for Hairs post about chicks" well dude maybe the "Chicks" you know have no souls.. but the Women I know do have souls.. remember you had a mother chick'..and its not about how long your hair is.. or how your grammar is.. its how clean your soul is..how you treat others n yourself and how you treat the earth it's about how you live and love, and what love you can bring into others lives.. it's for the good of all.. not the good for a few..only my OP
    Peace

15. know1nozme

know1nozme High Plains Drifter

What I think is of the greatest concern in the matter of grammar usage in forum posting is simply the level of communication. Some of our members speak/write English as a second language. If the dialogue in this forum is to be understood by them, we will need to follow the rules of grammar which have become the accepted standard. Why is this? Sentence structure, tenses, verb forms, etc. vary widely from one language to another. When we play fast and loose with these rules, as those of us for whom English is our native tongue are wont to do, we run the risk of being misunderstood, or even inadvertently saying something entirely different from what we meant. If this happens to you, then you have only yourself to blame.

I'm sure that there are many who regularly contribute to these forums that simply don't care whether or not they are understood by everyone. I'm also aware that many of us believe that rules were made to be broken and "artistic license" in forum posts should be allowed with impunity. This is a free speech forum. That fact is stressed over and over in many of the threads which have already been made. Everyone is free to express themselves as they see fit, provided they show respect for the other members of the forums (we are all peers, here).

Perhaps it is petty to correct the grammar and spelling errors of others who post in these forums when the message is clear enough to be easily understood (I consider this to be the case). However, if credibility and strong communication skills are important to you (and they should be if you expect your contribution to many of these forum discussions to be taken seriously), it might be wisest to run your posts through a word processor before submitting them. It takes all of 10 seconds on average, to copy your post to the appropriate software and use the spelling/grammar checker, then make the suggested corrections and paste it back into your post. Is this so difficult? Intentional artistic license is one matter. Unintentionally looking like your reading/writing skills are at a fourth grade level is another, and is bound to hurt your argument as people reading may assume that the rest of your education is at the same level.

All of this being said, I know that my own grammar is not perfect and that I occasionally make spelling errors (especially when posting to those threads which seem to move along at breakneck speeds), and do not always practice what I preach. When I do play fast and loose, I take the risk of being misunderstood, and I must accept this. However, I also expect that my peers will have the courtesy to attempt to understand what I'm saying and not to be petty about the errors and I endeavor to do the same in return.

16. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Far out, that is deep, man...

17. Purple_Burnt_Squirre

Purple_Burnt_Squirre Member

know1nozme I have to say I see your point I never thought what if english was a second language, but I have to say I cant see myself using grammer I can't even spell correctly either lol maybe a forum for those interested in it with tips, lessons, rules and reminders of grammer could be posted and question asked about grammer for those who are interested in it?

18. BlackHoodedCrow

BlackHoodedCrow Member

It's is correct. I would rather see that then It is It is Its over and over!

19. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

Hey... I figure it's just another saga in the development and changes of a language. This is the computer age, and with it there seems to be a whole 'nother language evolving.

I say; "Roll With the Changes, Baby." I write in the manner in which I was taught. I'm an Old Woman now, and I don't feel it would be hip for me to try to adopt the words, ways, and sayings of a younger generation... or, to change the way I use the English Language.

And... we're not writing for a Publisher here on the forums... even if we were, it would be considered; "Galley Work" correcting grammatical errors and typos.

Why let the form of how others use punctuation and grammar bother you? That irritation just gets in the way of your enjoying what you're reading. You know and understand what they meant, eh? So why be an Old Woman about the whole thing. Relax, forgive... and enjoy what you read.

20. Personface

Personface Tennessee Jed

"It's" is a contraction for "it is". If you do not use it correctly you may look dumb.