The Gideons Bible

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Irminsul, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Did anybody else receive these at high school? I remember, one day, not sure which year, or how old, but our whol grade was given a small red bible to take through life. Of course by days end I remember, red bibles all over the place but I also remember, I kept mine and I put a small little photo, like a passport photo of Alicia Silverstone in mine. She was my goddess. I can't remember what I ever did with but.

But I also remember the Gideons bible all over hotel rooms etc. Like it was common law to have a bible in the hotel. But you don't see that much anymore, I suggest they're stolen, burned, destroyed. It's quite sad. I know a lot of atheists get a little butthurt over the bible, but it really doesn't do anybody too much harm, and if someone can sit down one day, pick on up, take something from it to benefit their lives.. Who can seriously disagree or scorn?

2 people like this.
  2. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Yeah I remember Getting one The Pages were really Thin and it Felt like a Really Important thing to hold in your hand

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

not in high school

around here it was 4th or 5th grade

the hotel/motel bibles used to crack me up when youd see one where a jehova witness had gone through and scratched out every mention of jesus and replaced it with jehova

4. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Mine was green. King James version, which reads like old original Shakespeare. I'm guessing the German translation was more mainstream.

You like for people to read that God hates homosexuals?

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well, my God doesn't. :)

I'm sure the bible is being toned down in its criteria etc. not every Chrisitan is gay bashing, just the crazy loony ones that do more hypocrisy than they do Christianity. :D

3 people like this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

They really gave them out in schools? How odd.

Who was Gideon anyways?

I still find them in hotel drawers on occassion.

I had a precious moments bible as a child, so the pages were illustrated with those dopey looking precious moments characters

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I know the biblical story of Gideon, I loved it as a kid.

No idea of the bible version called like that though, or why it was named after him in particular. I have a Rembrandt bible with illustrations by you know who :)

8. expanse

expanse Supporters HipForums Supporter

Some kids brought their own bibles to school when I was a kid, but none were passed out while I was attending.

Now, had I gone to the private catholic school, like my mom wanted, there would have been bibles everywhere - like the birds in Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds.

9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I think I've still got one somewhere among my stuff. A small red bound volume. I didn't get it at school, but when I was a guest of Her Majesty for 3 months when I was 17, thanks to my illegal drug use. They used to show us juvenile offenders little religious films too. Some of the kids used the thin paper as cigarette papers (I never tried smoking it and you lost remission of time if caught). Just goes to show that the best of intentions can often lead to unforeseen things.

I do have a better copy of the King James Bible too, but have to admit I very rarely look at it other than perhaps to look something up. I find the language very poetic, and it actually introduced a lot of new words into the English language, as well as giving many lines that are often quoted in a non religious context. Even Richard Dawkins says he thinks it is an important work of English literature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gideons_International

10. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

"...Gideon checked out and left it no doubt to help with good Rocky's revival."

1 person likes this.
  11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

beat me to it.

not sure exactly when, must have been around a hundred years ago, maybe more, not likely much less, a group of people got together and organized around the idea of giving them out.
    gideons was just the name they came up with, probably because they liked the story.

hundred years ago would be around the time of world war one. just a guess that may have had something to do with it, unless of course, they'd already existed for decades before then.
    i don't really know for sure. somebody could probably look it up on wikipedia or something if they felt like it. i know i've heard something about their story somewhere, but i totally forget any of the details.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

one of the Gideon's bibles has a weird 911 coincidence..

13. quark

quark Parts Unknown

[​IMG]

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You know if you add all the page numbers and then find all the letter E's and divide them all by the page numbers you find out the end of the world! Dude!

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

never heard anyone handing them out in schools.

when i was in k-8 (in the 50s) and highschool (in the early 60s),
    i'm pretty sure that would have been forbidden as unconstitutional.
    (considered a violation of seperation of church and state)

i DO remember them being handed out outside of military induction centers though,
    mostly by peace advocates during viet nam, along with personal shaving kits.

i remember every hotel room had one though.
    i mean EVERY hotel room, any kind of hotel,
    any kind of city or town (in the u.s. i mean of course)

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol I read this title and skipped over it several times thinking what idiot even cares about the Gideon bible and then first post is me starting the thread. :d