The future of the Veg*n forum

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by alissamelon, May 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alissamelon

alissamelon Member

i just posted a question about this before i read your post...

so are you asking if you should start up the veg*n forum again on another site? i'm not sure. i think...maybe? lol is that any help? yes if it wont be too hard for you and if it will be suuuuper cool :D

2. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

The choice is yours but i think staying here the forum reached so many.I feel some of the same ways you do and i feel that sticking it out will be well worth it in the end.Only time will tell.So many sitahs and brothers have been reached by your forum that the help that is given can not be told in simple terms.Just my thoughts.

3. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Out of curiosity, what's the situation with this exactly? And has anything changed since the upgrade?

4. DoktorAtomik

Can't say as I 'valued' your forum. In fact I hadn't looked at it for a while. But the last time I checked, it seemed like there were enough people getting something out of it for it to be worth your while, surely? If nothing else, it keeps you trouble-makers from posting so much on the veggie forum ;)

The one thing I'd point out though is that if you were to switch it to an external site, the lack of a direct link would mean you'd be sure to get fewer visits, and the necessity to sign in with a separate u/n would mean that you'd be bound to take a bit of a knock with the number of posts. If you wanted it to work out in the long run, I'd suggest that you'd need to appeal to a wider audience than just the hip forum peeps. Otherwise, you'll just become a tiny clique that'll eventually die off.

I think the real question you need to ask yourself is why you're doing it and what you want to get out of it. What are your goals with the forum? Can you achieve them better by taking it to a different site? Is the pain-in-the-assness of the hip forums a price worth paying if you manage to achieve what you want from keeping the forum here? I'd look to yourself for answers before you ask others - and I mean that in a positive way.

5. Pablo

Pablo Member

I agree, you would get fewer visits, but less trolls as well, and if you did get a troll on your own site, you could swiftly boot them the hell out. But then if it was hosted on your own website maybe only curent veg*ns would see it, and that would be bad, cause we want posible futre vegs as well. Just not buttheads.

by the way, what makes it switch so we arent guests anymore, i dont have all my options, and people with fewer votes have been promoted. Whats the deal?

6. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

Astro, your forum needs to stay on the Hip Forums, come on... I totally agree with what DoktorAtomik said, you'd get much fewer people coming and viewing it and stuff, and I know that this forum layout is really tacky, I liked the old one much better, but there's nothing we can do about it really...

Please please stay!!! Your forum rocks, not that many trolls visit it, it's so nice, it's like a social cafe or something... please don't go!!

Hehe, if I sound kinda weird in my posts, it's because my exams have started...

7. DoktorAtomik

Woah! I never claimed anything of the sort! I thought your forum was quite a positive thing, actually, since it gave you the chance to post lots of positive info about veganism 'n' stuff without getting drawn into arguments with people. I can disagree with a person on particular issues without finding fault in everything they do, y'know.

8. Pablo

Pablo Member

hey what are referals? am i in trouble for something?

9. Pablo

Pablo Member

in my profile at the bottom of "forum info" it says "Referrals: 1"

10. Pablo

Pablo Member

oh a friend just told me on messenger, it means someone put down that you told them to join, so its a good thing :)

11. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

I bet you've had to delete a lot of posts and stuff because they were flames/trolls/whatever, which is why I never saw them... but I generally liked your forum better than the regular one, because, I don't know, for one thing, all the topics used to hang around for longer, you know, what really bugged me on the old forum is some way old topics hung around for a long time, but some of the newer/more useful ones just got deleted...

Oh, and one more thing, what was really great about your forum is that offensive stuff got deleted immediately (since I couldn't see any), while in the old Vegetarian forum, offensive stuff (like that godawful picture of the skinned cow) could just hang around forever, without being deleted, ruining the look of the entire forum...

Oh well... *shrugs*

Heyyy... *bright lamp appears* Skip said that he'd be allowing a lot of new changes into the forums... have you asked him if one of them is allowing people to moderate/back up their own forum? I really, really don't know much about web design, I used to know a lot but basically forgot it all... would it be complicated to integrate that kind of feature in the Hip Forums?

Thanks for the good luck wishes, I'll definitely need them, as you can see all my brain cells are dying away, being left in the exam hall etc...

P.S. The new layout SUCKS, OK maybe there are more features and stuff, but it's a bit too... errrr... a bit too metallic and technical and impersonal and cold... right?

12. DoktorAtomik

Hey Astro. If Skip implements all the mod options on personal forums, I'd have thought it'd suit you fine.....

[​IMG]

13. veinglory

veinglory Member

I vote for more moderator powers a.s.a.p. -- who should I send my vote too?

14. Pablo

Pablo Member

god damnit, if this thing blanks one more of my posts right before i post it, im gonna...get pissed off again...i just came from poetry, where it clicked out something i was gonna post right when it was done, the back button thing. AARRRRG, this is like the fifth time, look i can code html java and c++, let me fix it, all i want is for it not to kill my posts.

15. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

Pablo, that's been happening to me a lot lately, too. That's why I copy (ctrl-C or right-click-copy) all my long messages before I submit them. That way if I get a blank page, all I have to do is go back to the thread and paste what I wanted to say.

It beats having to rethink/retype everything you spent a long time thinking of in the first place. :p

16. Pablo

Pablo Member

i do at the end, but its not when i submit its at random.

17. skip

skip Founder Administrator

So Astro what are you waiting for...? Go, if all you can do here is bitch.

PS I don't recall deleting any questions (if placed in the appropriate forum).

BTW, you are completely misinformed about the options available on these new forums. So either wait for the new personal forums to be created, or shut your face from giving out misinformation to everyone.

If I had to edit or delete the misinformation you posted just in this thread there'd be nothing left.

Who appointed YOU know-it-all about this site?

18. DoktorAtomik

Astro, I have no idea what you're talking about in all honesty. For all I know, you may have a point. I kinda doubt it, but I ain't pretending to have all the facts. However that's beside the point. Why do you need to put everything in such a confrontational and abusive fashion? What do you hope to gain apart from alienating people?

I'm not an ass-licker or a skip-worshipper, but let's look at some basic facts here. The dude's not obliged to run these forums for the good of us all. It ain't his job. The pittance that supporters pay ain't gonna generate him a living wage. Why the hell should he put up with that kinda shit when basically, he's doing us all a massive favour? If you're really so bothered about the way he runs these forums, then do the decent thing and leave quietly and with a bit of dignity? Personally, I'd prefer it if you just sorted out the bad attitude and stayed in the forums contributing positive stuff, but it doesn't look like you can get a grip of your confrontational nature.

19. DoktorAtomik

Well yay you. People are human and not everyone is perfect. Not backing up a free forum is hardly an excuse for the kind of personal vitriol that you just subjected the guy to. Fuckin hell Astro, can't you just try and express your issues without being so nasty for a change? Put your point of view by all means, but why the hell can't you do it with a little less venom?

20. DoktorAtomik

Oh well, that's ok then. Be as rude as you like.

Fucking hell, Astro. That's a bit rich! You vilify the guy in a public forum, and I'm spreading the hate?!? The key word here being 'public'? If you want a private discussion with nobody else 'sticking their noses' in, then why are you posting about it in a public forum? Sorry, was this thread private?!?

No. What I advise people not to do is to launch into unprovoked slanging matches.

It is free. You donate to the site. You get a personal forum as a bonus, but it's still a donation. Of course if you're paying for your forum, I'm sure you can produce a receipt, or a contract?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.