The Free Speech Crisis

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZenKarma, Sep 3, 2019.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Crisis. Yes it is. The world is changing. The world has changed from days of old where we were spoon fed news and information curated for us by experts. Now the world is chaotic, with thousands of sources clamoring for your attention and all scrambling to provide you with something salacious or worse for your entertainment.

I read this interesting, and long, read in the Guardian today that explains what has happened in social media, the news media and in our day to day lives. On a daily basis we are assaulted with negative opinions, fake news and hate speech.

The above is from the Guardian, and more can be read by visiting this link:
    The myth of the free speech crisis

Here at the HipForums we have had our share of these trolls and disinformation providers. We do our best to keep it in check, but the world at large keeps slamming us with more and more. This does lead to moderator fatigue.

Do you think people are more likely to over-react in their comments and reactions to news stories for any particular reason, or do they post outrageous comments simply because they can? Has the freedom and anonymity of the Internet emboldened people? Or is this general attitude towards life simply a logical progression of the pressures of over-population and the dichotomies between the rich and the poor.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

People charge their threads, posts, comments and reactions in order to gain more attention and trigger people. This goes not only at the cost of trying to be objective or as truthful as possible, but also at the quality of the discussion which is now often at least 50% about nuancing the ridicilous aspects or people give up on that and just call the overreacting threadstarter or the one commenting ridicilous in many creative and uncreative ways.

3. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

People just don't seem to care enough whether something is true or not, especially if it supports what they want to believe.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

People also arent really taught how to think critically or question sources or go to the root of the source

5. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The crisis is that free speech is a disaster to begin with, due to over half the population of the US refusing to share their words and play nice, while insisting that the governments and corporations they call evil lie to them for their own protection. Why on earth anyone would want to defend the free speech of complete idiots who don't agree on the meaning of the word and insist everybody lie to them escapes me. What we have here, is a failure to communicate, and allowing the idiots to just say whatever they want, isn't helping. But, of course, hardly anybody ever listens to a word I say, and I'm just working on my book. It contains the mathematics and linguistics to create bots that people will love to argue definitions with more than arguing with each other.

Let them eat cake if they insist on getting fat, and watch them die younger and start to slowly wake up to the reality, there's nobody home but us chickens!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  6. parua

parua Members

Confirmation bias!

Driftrue likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think people who get upset over others opinions that are voiced are really just insecure in themselves. Why should anything anybody think actually have an adverse reaction within yourself? Because it might ring of truths and that's something you are uncomfortable in trying to resolve and come to terms with. So they blow up and make a scene about it or get upset about it.

What is there to actually get upset over though? I don't know. I don't find myself offended by anything so anybodies free speech is just free game for me
    Say what you want, think what you want, that's their burdens not mine.

It must be pretty dismal to have to go through life being upset because the person standing next to you or the person posting online in another country thinks differently than you.

-shrug-

As for me, I say what I want when I want because that's just me. :) I literally don't care if you agree with me or get upset with me over it. Go sort your own damn life out before trying to rectify mine for me like seriously lol wtf.

8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Thing is that this isn’t new - but it does seem to me that the idea has become more prevalent, that more people, especially on the right, feel they are entitled to put forward shoddy or even false views and ideas without any come back - and seem to feel they are in the right to get annoyed or at least huffy when asked to defend those ideas from valid criticisms.

They cry ‘I’m entitled to my opinion’ as if all opinions, by just been held, have equal validity, but they don’t, some opinions are deficient, incorrect or just plain crap and should be called out as such.

Another mantra is ‘we will have to agree to disagree’ well no – not if one view doesn’t stand up to scrutiny and the other does and especially not if that person is pushing a bad idea while refusing to address the criticism of it - in that case someone saying ‘we have to agree to disagree’ is just saying they don’t want anyone criticising their bad ideas.

And what gets me is the dishonesty of some of these people who will say something in one place only for it to be shown up as crap or false only for them to go somewhere else and repeat the same thing that they know does not stand up or has been shown to be false.

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Doublethink.

10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Everyone has their own truth ! Some like to tell about it others just quote facts and figures and try to knock your truth out of you , free speech is not what it once was

11. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Well said Irm.
    And yours is the best and most common sense post so far.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

But if something can be disproven with facts and figures then it wasnt really the truth to begin with

Balbus likes this.
  13. Rots in hell

Your truth !

14. oxo

oxo Members

Considering not so long ago calling someone one idiot or deliberately riddiculing them face to face would have earnt you a black eye so we have learnt that those face to face talk calls for a bit of down toning and common sense with our comments.

Not so with the Internet. What we can't say face to face is now used to full advantage without the fear of physical violence. The I am behind my keyboard and you can't touch me attitude had become the norm where moderating is needed more than ever.

There is nothing wrong in having your say but was there ever such a thing as free speech without some consequences attached to that.

LittlegreenTomato likes this.
  15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You don't think one's own personal truth should be based on objectively true facts?

Balbus likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Few people scrunched their faces up after reading that. ;)

17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Irminsul

But you have gone into a thread to 'like' what someone said only later to admit you hadn’t read anything in that thread.

How do you know if the ideas you support are any good when you don’t even know what they are.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

^^

This is exactly the type of person I'm talking about and the funny thing is we both know it. Bringing up shit I said six weeks ago. :tearsofjoy: now we both know my post rang honesty bells between your ears didn't it?

Cause ya couldn't help yourself. Even after you said you wouldn't deal with me again you couldn't help yourself. Cause I'm right and we both know it. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

And it scares you that a woman on the internet might think that and form that opinion of someone like yourself, so you rush to try and put me down or some bogus shit, for what some ego boost?

Yeah, you're really someone I'm going to look up to for advice. 100% thanks bro.

6-eyed shaman and Henderson like this.
  19. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Booze and Mal

But both of you are well known for refusing to address criticisms of your views and even of refusing to debate at all.

20. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Irminsul

Sorry I never said that and again this is something raised in the article (did you read it) making unfounded accusations that I’m attacking you because you are a woman not because of the seeming flaws in your viewpoint.

21. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I disagree completely. And I never said you're attacking me because I'm a woman, are you even reading? I said it scares you that I, a woman, could Form such an accurate portrayal that it struck something that triggered you to have some form of dig at me when you'd blatantly blown me off as some erratic floozie that doesn't know what they're talking about, 6 weeks ago.

Anyway I don't care. I'm just pointing out I know your game.

Mallyboppa likes this.
  22. Rots in hell

I was being psychic really !
    all truths are in the eyes and ears of the beholder what does "objectively true " mean ? Is it that more people believe your truth than mine ? Apart fron the obvious most so called truths are merely opinions and "free speech allows you to voice those opinions ! Dont you think