The Frank Zappa Thread

Discussion in 'UK Music Forum' started by Iago2, Jan 24, 2005.

1. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Zappa seems to be relatively well known down here even to the OldFarts.
    I don't think anyone would ask about a Zappa shirt.
    Someone off the wall - yes, Zappa - no.

Anyone remember Nightline's Ted Koppel straight faced introduction of Zappa as one of our "Cultural Leaders"?

I thought I was going to fall off the bed in a State of Shock..*L*.

2. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

Hmm, well I guess I would've considered Frank to be "off the wall", but maybe you're right.

3. Sanjak_of_Novi_Pazar

Sanjak_of_Novi_Pazar Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

In 1990 by the the invitation of Havel, newly elected President of Czechoslovakia proposed that Zappa be made Special Ambassador to the West on Trade, Culture and Tourism.

Zappa, a libertarian politically, welcomed the challenge and immediately began setting up meetings with corporations interested in investing in Czechoslovakia telling The Nation magazine "You don't have to know about international financing. You just have to know about composition."

Havel was quickly talked out of the appointment by Bush administration officials who were not too thrilled about the idea of an American citizen serving as a Czech ambassador, but he made Zappa an unofficial cultural attaché all the same.

4. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Just listened to my first bit of Zappa two days ago! T'was the "Freak Out!" album a friend brough over. Thought it was wonderful stuff I have to say. I'd forgot I was listening to Frank Zappa around track 3 or 4, a lot of it was not what I was expecting. I guess with everything I'd heard I was imagining he was a cross between Jefferson Airplane and Ozzy Osbourne.

Couldn't of been more wrong. Seems most comparisons are!