The forgotten elderly

Discussion in 'People' started by Alexandria, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Alexandria

Alexandria Member

It really saddens me that these people are treated like waste here in America. Healthcare sucks....social security sucks....nursing homes REALLLY suck and it just seems like they are the forgotten people. Anyone else feel this way? I think it should be quite the opposite. Elderly people should have the BEST care (they need it most afterall) and they should be respected by society. Is it this way all across the globe? It seems like places, like china perhaps,that the elderly are more often respected and regarded as wise. Mabye that is just a myth, I have never been to china. I think more empahsis should be placed on helping these people. They suffer probably more than most.

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I do have a lot of respect for them...and I think little old men are so cute.. :) I've been watching all this D-Day stuff on the History Channel, and they're in their little uniforms going to visit all of their fallen friends...it breaks my heart that that's really the only thing they have to be proud of. They do get treated like shit.

Nursing homes are terrible. My great grandmother was in one before she died and they used to beat her...one time we went to visit her and she had bruises on her neck in the perfect shape of fingers...like someone had strangled her. Her kids tried to find a nice one for her, but it was impossible, I guess. I would like to work at one, just to learn from all the people there, but I have a problem with bed pans and sponge baths. I could just be a receptionist, I guess.... :)

3. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

True, my mother is a social worker for the elderly and the conditions in some of those places are despicable. The only descent ones are the Jewish homes that cost $10,000 a month and have 4 year waiting lines. It's sad, really. And with the baby boomer situation it'll become worse real soon.

4. mvmcd1950

mvmcd1950 mvmcd1950

sadly it is true all across the developed world.. only in developing countries are the elderly revered..

5. AK Bones

AK Bones Member

Maybe I'm just weird, but I think people need to take responsibility for their lives and their own death. Being kept alive after the body is worn out and the health is gone and then spending fortunes to be kept alive for a few more years of misery then stuck in a nursing home just does not make sense to me.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yep. Once you're old and useless, off to a euthanasia centre you go.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Western society really has no idea how to respect the elderly. I used to volunteer at a couple of nursing homes; basically all I did was walk around and listen to the residents talk. They were all really fascinating and had lived such interesting lives. All of them were deserving of the utmost respect but most of them were treated like shit by the nurses and ignored by their families. Its really sad.

I agree. A big chunk of pharmeceutical profit comes from maintanence meds for the elderly. These are medications that do not cure, do not prevent, but maintain their current condition. The elderly are often placed on 20-30 different medications at one time and most of the time the decision for the elderly to take these medications are made by their families and the nursing home, not the person whose body is directly affected.

When I am old I just want to die when the time comes. I don't want to fight it past the point where my quality of life quite frankly sucks ass.

8. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

By voting Republican, mostly, they've screwed themselves AND their kids / grandkids.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. AK Bones

AK Bones Member

When I'm ready to go I don't want to hang out with the youth in Asia. A shot of the proper drug would do. I would then be glad to donate my corpse to all those folks in the "what to do with the dead thread".