The Food Revolution by John Robbins

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by Seashell, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Seashell

Seashell Member

I just started this book recently; well, I downloaded the sample on Nook. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are, those of you who have read it? I'm very interested in diet and vegetarianism and the impact it has on us as individuals and as a society. I'd just like to get some opinions before I buy it.

On a side note, in the introduction, John Robbins talks about living in a one room house that he and his wife built in the late sixties. They lived there ten years, growing the majority of their food and sometimes spending less than $1000 a year. Everything in that scenario appeals to me so much! I'm so ready to just say to hell with all the materialistic trappings forced on us in day to day life. We're so accustomed to them that we think we need them to survive. I, for one, could go the rest of my life without a cell phone, or a flat screen TV. To live that way, with no ties except to the land, would be fascinating.

2. Plant_Head

Plant_Head Banned

Good luck, don't know about the book. Sounds good.

But as far as the lifestyle, good luck, it can be done.

It would be the final escape.

3. VioletJourney

VioletJourney Member

I haven't read that particular one, but I read Diet for a New America (also by John Robbins). After reading it, I went vegetarian for several years.

I totally understand your feelings about getting out of the mainstream society and living a simple life. I can definitely see the appeal. I know that it's possible and even know some people who do it. From where I sit, living in modern society, it seems like a pipe-dream... seems like it would actually be quite expensive to set something like that up... which means you have to work and participate in modern society to be able to afford the luxury of not having to live in it. Doesn't seem right... am I missing something?