The fishing thread

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Totally Yoda, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

2. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Fly fishing for bass is fun. A whole different feeling when pulling them in.

Me personally have never tried it. It is very good from what I was told. I prefer salt water fish to eat over fresh water.

Mysteron likes this.
  3. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Mysteron likes this.
  4. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

If I lived in Mexico. That would be a daily for me lol

Mysteron and ~Zen~ like this.
  5. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

My 1st ever bass was caught on night crawlers. I sprained my ankle that day along the river. I hopped over to the pond and fished for an hour. Caught 6 sunnies and 3 bass. That made my day After that. I drove myself to the drug store and bought myself an ankle braced and powered through it until it was healed.

Mysteron and ~Zen~ like this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

If you're ever down South, you should try fishing an ultra-light fly rod (like a 2 wt.), with a tiny mosquito dry fly for Bluegills. They're freakin' ferocious.
    If they weighed 5 lbs., nobody would ever go in the water.

Bluegill-Fishing-Tips.jpg

Mysteron, Upnorthguy and Totally Yoda like this.
  7. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I was fishing Fire's Creek, which over millennia has polished some solid granite bottom smoother than glass.
    Caught my fly in overhanging rhododendron on the backcast, slipped, fell hard on my left hip, and couldn't get traction to get back up; ignominiously sinking in ice water as I floated downstream to the next gravel bar. I held my rod tip up, it bowed backwards, then my fly came loose and rocketed downstream, where at the max of it's range, one of the biggest brook trout of the season leapt clear of the water and snatched it from mid-air, then fought ferociously as I bumped downstream over the boulders on my ass; half submerged.
    Set a very high bar for 'the best fish caught on the worst cast'.
    Absolutely worth a mild case of hypothermia and a painful limp for two weeks.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Mysteron and Totally Yoda like this.
  8. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Wow that is huge! I plan on going down south this year or next year to fly fish. These are the ones I caught using a wolly bugger. Bass, Green Sunfish, and a Black Crappie. I'm currently using a Moonshine 6wt. I have plans to get a 2wt just for panfish. I have top water fly lures. Oh man. It's so cool watching them run up on them and run!
    Screenshot_20210410-113912_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20210410-113827_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20210410-113838_Instagram.jpg

Mysteron and Upnorthguy like this.
  9. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

You got lucky. At least you caught a good fish that day. I never missed a day of work when I sprained my ankle. I had to drive with my left foot. That was awkward especially when applying the brakes lol

10. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

Caught this giant hybrid on a top water fly today.

Screenshot_20210410-185433_Gallery.jpg

Candy Gal likes this.
  11. Upnorthguy

Upnorthguy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Our fishing season is closed right now except for panfish. So I'm waiting for a decent day to get the boat out. But here's one from last year. This one thought he would get an easy Scooby snack! It never let go and we were able to net it along with the little walleye after making a big mess in the front of my boat. Both were released. Screenshot_20210411-071317_Gallery.jpg

12. Upnorthguy

Can't wait to put some of these back in the livewell again! Eating fish (grilled or fried) is one of my favorite meals!

20200716_171320.jpg

13. Upnorthguy

That's a big hybrid! 11-12 inches??

Totally Yoda likes this.
  14. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Got fishing rod. 8 miles from a lake. Never go fishing. I ride around it a lot just never go fishing.

Totally Yoda likes this.
  15. Scottishdk

Scottishdk Senior Member

Haven't been fishing for a long time, by stuff is still packed away in the loft.
    Fly fishing was my favourite way to fish. More of a craft and skill level to other fishing.
    Not that there isn't a skill to all types of fishing before anyone gets upset. :D:D:D

Totally Yoda likes this.
  16. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

I didn't do a measurement as my gear was in my car. Felt like just over a pound. The way she was fighting. I thought I had a bass on the line. It's a new spot I found last year.

17. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

I picked up fly fishing last year. I hardly use the baitcasters and spinning reals.

18. Upnorthguy

I'd like to try fly fishing sometime. But I'd have to go solo. Whomever came with me would end up in the ER with a hook thru their lip! LOL

Totally Yoda likes this.
  19. Peter Barnett

Peter Barnett Members

Beautiful Pio, you are so lucky to have such wild fishing and unstocked fish. Rainbows I have caught hundreds but they will not breed in UK rivers, except small time in one. Then you have the Chalk Streams of Montana and Sage/Orvis Rods cost twice the price here. Really fancy some Bonefishing, my dream, what a life you guys have.

20. Totally Yoda

Totally Yoda Members

That hasn't happened yet. Although trees magically appear out of no where sometimes! It took me almost a week to learn it just by watching YouTube videos and correcting my mistakes. My biggest flaw is moving my arm as I cast out. I have to remember to keep it still and use the wrist instead when casting.