The First Sex by Elizabeth Gould Davis

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by ThePoetSappho, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i love this book; it's really empowering to females and it's theories are fascinating. it asserts female superiority, an apeaks of a time when societies were largely matriarchal and peaceful. the author's sources have come into question for not being mainstream but her book is a classic in the canon of second wave feminism and it's my favorite.

Woman's reproductive organs are far older than man's and far more highly evolved. Even in the lowest mammals, as well as in woman, the ovaries, uterus, vagina, etc., are similar, indicating that the female reproductive system was one of the first things perfected by nature. On the other hand, the male reproductive organs, the testicles and the penis, vary as much among species and through the course of evolution as does the shape of the foot — from hoof to paw. Apparently, then, the male penis evolved to suit the vagina, not the vagina to suit the penis.
    The First Sex, ch. 1 - Woman and the Second Sex (1971).

Proof that the penis is a much later development than the female vulva is found in the evidence that the male himself was a late mutation from an original female creature. For man is but an imperfect female. Geneticists and physiologists tell us that the Y chromosome that produces males is a deformed and broken X chromosome — the female chromosome. All women have two X chromosomes, while the male has one X derived from his mother and one Y from his father. It seems very logical that this small and twisted Y chromosome is a genetic error — an accident of nature, and that originally there was only one sex — the female.
    The First Sex, ch. 1 - Woman and the Second Sex (1971).

Gould Davis called for "the matriarchal counterrevolution that is the only hope for the survival of the human race"[5] and opined that "spiritual force",[6] "[m]ental and spiritual gifts",[6] and "[e]xtrasensory perception"[6] will be more important than "physical force",[6] "gifts of a physical nature",[6] and "sensory perception",[6] respectively, so that "woman will again predominate"[6] and that "the next civilization will ... revolve ["about"] ["divine woman"]",[6] as it had in the past that she asserted.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Sex

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

... and the Reich will last a thousand years...

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Totally unfuckingcalled for.

How about a discussion?

4. Driftwood Gypsy

meh i never said i totally take it seriously but it's certainly interesting reading. some parts are quite extreme, some crazy, some fascinating.... some of the historical implications really attract me.

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Don't know if it's a viable theory, but it's a damn shame women don't run the world, IMO. We men have certainly screwed it up. Never figured out why a gentler feminine way of doing "things" on earth wouldn't be better, but it would take force to get it done---and there you'd be. Getting "things" done with force would be the same 'ol-same 'ol. Maybe the couch for ALL of us.

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

This part, yes.

7. Driftwood Gypsy

i agree totally. this book gets into theories such as the first civilizations were peaceful matriarchies until men overthrew it and destroyed all evidence.
    sounds about right.