The EURO...

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Jennyflower, May 19, 2004.

?

Join the euro

1. yes, it would be good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no, lets keep the pound

27 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Paul

Paul Cheap and Cheerful

I think that the Welsh Assembly was one of the better decisions for the New Labour government. If an area wants to be independent and develop freely then I can see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed.

If the government wants to hang on to it then maybe their motives should be questioned. If it is the wrong decision then that is the choice that they made and they will learn from their mistakes. Saying that though I'm a great believer in preserving things for the sake of tradition. I do feel it gives people a sense of identity.

I would't like to comment on how small it should go though ~ I had a little daydream about declaring my own home an independent state once with my own laws, passport etc. maybe I'm just far too anti-authoritarian to be discussing this. :D

2. Midsummersun

Midsummersun Member

All nations are unique, but none have a real history. The creation of nations was the creation of borders and the creation of primordial myths. Once upon a time you could travel from Belgium to Spain, and here a gradual progress from Flemish to Spanish in the medium of French. We need to stop thinking about 'us' and 'them'. It is the same argument that the far-right use, and promotes racism. In Belfast racist attacks have become a bigger problem than sectarian attacks, especially amongst Protestants. The kind of propaganda being used is nationalist (although that term only refers to the Catholics when talking about Northern Ireland), and an example read "The Chinese community in the Donegall Pass area is doing more to undermine the Britishness of this community than thirty years of IRA bombs."

I'm not a fan of the EU, because it is taking power away from national governments and stopping us taking our own paths, but once again there is that damn 'us'.

Hmmm... where is my argument going...

So, yeah, the euro is good in that it brings people closer, bad in that it is really just a tool of the capitalists. the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish assemblies are good in that it takes decision making to a more local level. But we must start thinking what's best for everyone, not just for 'us' 'here'.

3. Polka Dots and Strip

Polka Dots and Strip Member

Its a choice between the Euro or the Dollar so ill take the Euro, just to have the chance to pay in Eurines instead of pee

4. Jennyflower

Jennyflower Member

i can understand most sides of the story, but i don't get how joining the euro promotes capitalism, surely those who are selfish and dont want to lose out are the ones promoting this? and also, we are part of europe and so should abide by european rules. every other country that has joined the euro cant be rong, can it?

5. Midsummersun

Midsummersun Member

First of all, we should only abide by rules that are morally correct. we all have different ideas of morality, so we should just be true to ourselves. It is a crime to cycle on the pavement, but a crime against who? The state. An abstract entity. Secondly, all the countries in Europe are ruled by capitalists. Think about the countries that weren't allowed to join. Why not? Because they don't represent a viable market, because they don't produce enough wealth, because they need more than they're able to give. So we push them aside, exclude them and, in doing so, further impede their development. Any trade bloc has barriers, which are always to the benefit of those in the bloc, and the detriment to those outside. The new European constitution, and the expanded EU may be taking in poorer countries than those already in the EU, but these are countries that are becomming richer, and thus represent a larger market for businesses to sell their wares. But the only people who benefit are the rich. The economy of a country is based on its average wealth, but doesn't tell you the bridge between the rich and the poor.

6. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

what a load of tosh (sorry)...

Apart from the economic risks .... and the economic sanctions imposed if we broke away (from the other E.U countries pissed off at us) and other nations jumping ship when they see the Uk abandon there E.U partners wich would create a backward economy for years...hurting everyone , i am sure.

Lose identity or history erm our history is entwined with the whole worlds .... oh maybe the story about Robin hood ... but i am sure there is some 'foreign' elements to that one ... Postman Pat , thats got a fine British History...

Its like speaking Esparanto to promote unity...thats just barmy .. and illogical.

E.U superstate ... that old chestnut ... i love that one its almost beleivable . But ofcourse its just trash.

If all E.U countries become homogonised and we can't tell the diffrence between each other ... i will eat my words...but the likelyhood is very very remote . We are not the only ones with national pride you know..ours is a bit OTT thats all.

7. dhARmaMiLlO

dhARmaMiLlO Member

hurr hurr

8. lithium

lithium frogboy